What's new

advice for router for six computers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kickstartjoe

New Around Here
I have a house with six apartments in it. The computer (PC) is in my apartment, and I want to provide wireless connections to the other five, which are located on the second and third floors. Currently, I am using Earthlink with a VisionNet E200ER ADSL modem and a Linksys WRT54G router.
When any of the other apartments connects to the network, the speed of the main computer (mine) drops to about 3 percent of its speed when connected alone.
Is this a software or hardware problem? Any suggestions on how to solve this problem are appreciated.
Joe

First, check to see if your WRT54G has the latest firmware. Visit www.linksys.com and get the latest for your revision (flip it upside down to see the revison #).

I assume the other 5 PC's are able to connect wireless with decent signal?

Does your speed drop when they connect and are idle (no browsing)? Have you given the thought that maybe:

1) the PC's connected wireless are actively using the Net and too much of your available DSL bandwidth?
2) One or more of them has a virus/malware infection?
3) One or more of the wireless clients may need to have its client software/drivers upgraded (may be upsetting the WRT54G)?

I would be real skeptical about letting strangers use my Internet for various reasons. Keep in mind that if one of them creates DMCA/RIAA, etc. violations, then you'll be the one getting the letters and lawsuits....

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!