What's new

Advice needed, multi-port router and AP.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Looks like bridge mode would be a safe choice. It would make your 7000 function like your old WUMC. Wired clients only, it would not allow wireless clients on that side of the house to use it as a wireless access point.

If Netgear allows some flexibility in configuration you could get the best of both worlds in repeating mode. The trick is to dedicate the 5GHz radio to talking with the 5300 and the 2.4GHz radio to talking with wireless clients.

The "half speed" penalty comes from clients using the same radio that the repeater uses to talk with the wireless router. Your wired clients and 2.4GHz clients shouldn't see that particular penalty.

Confused? Me too ; -)

Manual; pages 137-144. A wireless repeater can also have wired and wireless clients ...

Last edited:
Checking again, it hasn't shipped yet, so it my be this coming weekend before I get to try this out
I'm guessing you're just about in the middle of setting up your new 5300. Looking forward to hearing that everything went great!

So, got the router in, set it up, had a dickens of a time changing everything over. :( I totally redid the network with SSIDs, pw, everything to start fresh. I'm -still- figuring out all of the MAC ids on the network now, some don't make sense, and I don't know what they are. I'm using a few tools to try and figure it out.
Netwatcher seems to be a decent sniffer.
I have the R7000 configured as a bridge, for now. I tried AP and it was maybe a bit over my head to get it where I wanted it.
It currently is working decently, good speeds.
As for the router, I'm still researching, but there are things listed as clients that are wrong. Such as, my PC, with nothing wireless at all, is listed as connecting on 5g radio 2, wirelessly. :(
I'm still messing with it, but I would like to use 5g radio for everything 5g, and then use only 5g radio 2 for the r7000. I set up a whole different SSID, pw, on 5g2, and still I see things connecting in the house that don't have that info. I suspect I may have to go to MAC filtering on 5g2. It appears that would mean inputting ALL the macs on everything hooked to the r7000. Yikes.
But for the purpose of this forum, it's working now, the GT-AC5300 as the main router, and the R7000 as a bridge. The GT is getting enough signal though the whole house for the moment! :)

As for the router, I'm still researching, but there are things listed as clients that are wrong. Such as, my PC, with nothing wireless at all, is listed as connecting on 5g radio 2, wirelessly
If I recall right (my seven decade memory is shot) my N66R at work shows similar. Clients on my range extender show as coming from 5GHz because my range extender connects to the router at 5GHz. The router only sees what it sees?

If I recall right (my seven decade memory is shot) my N66R at work shows similar. Clients on my range extender show as coming from 5GHz because my range extender connects to the router at 5GHz. The router only sees what it sees?

I'm reading in other places that apparently some of the router software is still buggy. Guess I'll have to ride it out a bit, as the signal is good.