What's new

Advice needed on getting another router for use in bridge mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CLASYS

New Around Here
First time poster, but long-term fan of SNB!

I have an odd question, but it should fit well with what people discuss here:

I have a "split" system:

We live in a 3-level townhouse situation and i really can't start bashing any walls!

My needs for the downstairs started with the days of Max-G devices from USR added in PCMCIA slots and plugged into the buss foe desktops. The downstairs network has grown a bit with at least two laptops in different areas and a table filled with as many as three desktop machines, all of which are wired together now into a 10/100/1000 smart bridge.

[The cable modem and router are on the second floor, moved as close to the center of the place front-to-back as is practical Occasionally a single laptop is used on the upper level and I get a 2.4 GHz connection up there acceptably, but not 5 GHz.]

In the olden days, I would drop a long piece of CAT-6 wire down the stairwell, but this is of course not only impractical but is not favored by the "powers that be" [if you get my drift].

I then upgraded to a TEW-800 Ethernet bridge and things were a lot better. Still better when I got an R6300 and I thought all was great! AC to AC gets me faster than 10/100 wired!

But I have a problem: The Trendnet bridge seems to crap out at the craziest times I see no pattern other than when it goes, expect 5-6 more times over the next few days. Then months go by without any other problems. The location is unwieldy [for best antenna placement] so I added a remote-controlled AC switch to power it down and back up when this happens. [The lone laptop allows me to reboot the R6300 if power cycling the TEW isn't enough [that has happened only 3 times].

My question: I see on ebay so many people selling the R6300V2 dirt cheap. [I think it's some sort of factory reburb deal wide-spread.]

Would it make sense to get another R6300 and use one in bridge mode and "retire" the Trendnet flaky beast?

Thanks in advance.

cjl