What's new

Advice on a new router.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Screwdriver

Occasional Visitor
I live in a three bedroom house in Los Angeles. It was built in the 1930's and the walls are of lath/wire/plaster. The issue I am having is 2.4ghz getting to the whole house. The current router is an Asus RT-AC66U that sits in the office and gets easily to our entertainment center for the Roku, TV, Sonos etc. But where we sit and where we use our laptops, iPads, Phones etc., the signal drops off. There is also a lot of interference, as I can see my neighbors AP's. It also does not help that on the street behind me is a 36 unit condo all blanketing me with their signals. I ended up buying a RT-AC87U which had a great 2.4ghz radio and fit the bill until the 5ghz radio died and I was able to return it during the 30 day return window.

2.4ghz is my issue as 5ghz works great.....So, I need advice on a new router that would be better then the RT-AC-66U.

I ended up buying a RT-AC87U which had a great 2.4ghz radio and fit the bill until the 5ghz radio died and I was able to return it during the 30 day return window.
then get another if it worked well or a rt-ac3100 the wifi on ether will be the same

however you may wat to consider running ethernet and a second access point to make everything work well

The AC3200 or better have better antennas and radios than the AC66U. Even the AC68U has better radios but the radios arent that much better, the antennas do help as well.

Other solution is to wire another wifi router.

The AC3200 or better have better antennas and radios than the AC66U. Even the AC68U has better radios but the radios arent that much better, the antennas do help as well.

Other solution is to wire another wifi router.

I ended up buying a RT-AC3200 from Frys on sale. It has great 2.4ghz coverage for our older laptops and covers the whole house....5ghz also reaches everywhere now.

I do plan to run cat6 under the house from the computer room to the living room and use the RT-AC66U as an AP. But until then, the AC3200 is doing what I wanted.