What's new

Advice on a small company setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jonnii

New Around Here
Good evening folks,

I'm in the process of setting up a wired/wireless LAN for my small company. My budget is around $1500, and are looking at possibly 4-5 wireless bridged stations and a gigabit 48p switch to interconnect printers, workstations, the firewall and whatnot.

I've been looking at some options (especially from the non-wds bridged guide), but can't seem to find a setup that seems suitable.

I would like to find a couple of wireless routers (preferably connected with gigabit against my switch) that will extend a router with a bridged setup. Do you guys/girls have any suggestions?

My switch costs me ~$800, so $700 to spare for 4-5 extenders and one "master" ssid transmitter. Thanks!

How large of an area are you covering?

Is it all on one floor?

Do you have a drawing of the floorplan to be covered?

What type of devices will connect via wireless?

What 48p GigE switch did you settle on?

Thanks for your quick response, see replies below.

How large of an area are you covering?

I'd say about 250m2

Is it all on one floor?

Yes, divided in one large room and a couple of small ones through a corridor. A couple of concrete walls, but some plaster/gypsum (sorry, don't know the correct translation - basically a thin wall)

Do you have a drawing of the floorplan to be covered?

Sorry, no. My idea was to have one bridge extender in every room (except the meeting rooms which all can use the router in the corridor). All in all 4-5 extenders (including a base station).

What type of devices will connect via wireless?
Mostly newer macbook's. So N-units I'd say; but I will probably need a fallback G for older dell rigs.

What 48p GigE switch did you settle on?
This: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10002/index.html

I'd prefer HP since thats what I use in my datacenter, but it'll cost me a couple of hundreds more (at least in Sweden, where the office is at)

Oh, one last thing. I'd really like the possibility for a guest net, but it's not required.

I've been looking around today and think that perhaps a Netgear WNDR3700 (or the WN802T) for "main" router with 4 bridges – WN2000RPT – would be suitable. Since I don't use WDS, performance will be "good enough".

Will possible interference between these bridges be an issue?