What's new

Advice on a two condo unit Network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hoklun

New Around Here
Hi guys,

I just wanted some input and advice on a setup of a network between two concrete condo units between my unit and my sisters unit two floors above in the same direction. We both have balconies(with electrical outlets), and she is two floors up and one unit over on the same side.

The condo is located downtown Toronto with the condo building consisting of over 30 floors, so 2.4ghz is pretty crowded. We don't need anything fancy in regards to features of wireless routers etc... however we are probably going to stream content off of each other as well as share one internet connection(provided only to one of our suites). Reliability is probably also another factor as it would be a pain to call each other or go in each other's suites to fix/reboot something. As the units are individually metered powerline probably wont work.

Let me know what your ideas and suggestions are. Thanks! :)

I'd use something like the Ubiquiti nanostation M5 or Loco M5 (loco = low cost). They are weather resistant and pretty easy to mount onto railing. You didn't say how far apart the two buildings are, but as long as you have a clear line of sight and they are less than a mile or so you should be fine. They also come with a poe injector so you don't have to worry about powering it outside.

The M5 series of their stuff is all 5 gig and the M2 is all 2 gig. I would stick with the 5 gig band for something like that. I use the 5 gig for all my point to point links.

The Air OS that all their products use is pretty flexiable and can act as a bridge/ap/client. I like the straight forward interface, and can find everything I need quickly. Although it's not going to hold your hand, so don't expect a wizard.

If you really wanted to go crazy you could use something like their AirGrid or RocketDish, but I doubt you will need that kind of range.

Just set a strong wpa2 pass and it should be set-n-forget. They are used by a lot of wisp's so they tend to be rock solid reliable. They are pretty cheap too. You can get a pair of Locos for about 100 bucks. A pair of the regulars for about 150.

Let us know what you end up doing. Pics are always good too.

-Sean

Sean's recommendation looks to be a good possible solution to create a bridge between units.

Keep in mind that 5g band is especially poor when antennas are not on same plane. Since the 2 condo units are 2 floors apart (minimum 20 feet in elevation), you may need to play with angling the antennas so they are directly pointed at each other. I hope that makes sense. If not look at the M5 spec sheet and you'll see its beam is quite narrow.