What's new

Advice on Firmware and Config for AC3100

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ember1205

Occasional Visitor
I bought and installed this router a few months ago and saw significant improvements in my overall networking functionality in the house. I've had some problems, too, though, and I'm hoping to get some guidance on what firmware would suit me best and a config to go with it.

I have a couple of Linux servers that are hardwired to the network, a couple of smart TVs that are hardwired as well, four iPads (current gen stuff), five iPhones, and Mac latop (WiFi) and a Mac desktop (hardwired). I also have an Obihai ATA for my phone and a few other odds and ends (home automation controller, Echo, media players, DTV boxes) that are using the network in small bits here and there.

I do have a need to prioritize the Obi device at the top of the list to ensure that call quality is always top-notch, and my Mac laptop needs high billing as well since there are times when I need the bandwidth for work to conduct web conferences and presentations. Everything else, including the kids' video chatting and streaming access falls further down the priority list.

The ASUS firmware tends to run ok for a while then the router will basically stop responding properly, including not allowing me to access the Admin page. A restart is the only thing that brings it back. There is a lot of hesitation with web browsing and streaming using the current setup with QoS, and that's frustrating (I've used tc on Linux in the past to shape traffic and never had delays like this). If it weren't for the Obi device NEEDING to be given top billing, I wouldn't use QoS as I have a 75down/5up connection.

Past efforts to use a Linux server as a firewall have not yielded better results because I haven't found a quality replacement for tc to do QoS.

If anyone has suggestions on a replacement firmware or a better way to configure the ASUS firmware so that it won't randomly get stuck like it does and cause the delays.

You did not give your current firmware version nor your settings. ;)

But from the information you did give, I would suggest you upgrade to an ISP plan that gives more than 5Mbps up speeds, if you can.

My current firmware is irrelevant - I'm looking for recommendations on WHAT firmware would meet my needs.

A) There is little ned for significantly large upload speeds 99.99% of the time, even for someone like myself that works from home
B) I have the top tier of what's offered and there is nothing better available

Do you have suggestions on what firmware out there might be best suited for my needs?

Here's another little tidbit of information about this router and the firmware from ASUS...

Turning QoS -OFF- effectively doubles my download speeds to a still paltry level compared to what I'm paying for.

Okay. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your overly helpful replies. My 20 years of building networks and understanding the actual communications that goes under the hood says that I posted what's necessary for the question(s) that I asked and your comments / suggestion aren't valuable.

If anyone has recommendation on optimal configuration and suggestions for what firmware works well with this router, I'm eager to hear what you have to say.

Try RMerlin's 380.60 alpha builds for your model. You may want to wait for the latest that should be coming in the next few days (although the latest builds have proven themselves for many, as is).

Keep in mind though that depending on what firmware you do have, you may already be limited to what firmware you can test in the future.

If you (think) you know what information is needed to help you, it would seem that your 20 years of network experience would have already given you the answers. Hope you're more willing to interact with others in a more helpful manner.

With all due respect (and I mean that, not just lip service here), I asked what I thought was a very pointed and specific question and gave the guidelines that would help define an answer. I wasn't trying to go through my current setup to find fault and make changes.

Now, if someone came back and said that the ASUS firmware (that I happen to have running) would serve me well, and gave some basic configuration guides for me, that would be a different story. Since it seems that the ASUS firmware is terrible, I fully expect folks to point me elsewhere. While I know how the gear itself works for signaling and everything else, I simply don't have the time to keep up with the "under the hood" pieces of firmware, who has what options available as third-party, etc.

With regard to the RMerlin builds... Is there something in particular about them that lends value for a QoS setup? Or, are they generally builds that "just work"?

My current firmware is irrelevant

It's actually relevant, as the latest firmware does not allow directly flashing an alternative or older firmware. We'd need to know what you currently use, otherwise if we blindly tell you to flash something else, you might end up wasting a lot of your time trying to flash it, and failing.

For the RT-AC3100 you basically have two firmware choices:
AsusWRT or AsusWRT-Merlin.
The last is based on the first, a list of Merlin specifics can be found here:
http://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca
The Asus firmware release notes sum the basics.
The firmware choice is very personal, depending on your needs. This forum is a broad source to find out the pros and cons of the firmware choice.
Asus firmware is not terrible, the closed source chipset drivers play their role as well.

The ASUS firmware tends to run ok for a while then the router will basically stop responding properly, including not allowing me to access the Admin page. A restart is the only thing that brings it back.

Other users have reported similar experience on this forum on various models. So you're not alone. People's different usage scenarios influence their likelihood of hitting bugs and resulting in destabilised system. Config tunings or user behaviour adaptation help somewhat. But when you hit bugs you hit bugs. Quite a few bugs out there.. both known and unknown.

Between Asus stock and Merlin FW, 99% are common IMO. As suggested above, you can visit Merlin webpage for difference highlight and see if Merlin FW can contribute in a positive way to your usage scenarios. Very unlikely though you're going to hit a jack pot of golden FW which will run smoothly for you, especially your usage scenarios have proved that you're more likely than others to hit possible bugs.

Can't be of much help at the moment as I'm a RT-AC56U user. One piece of advice I could offer is switching away from Adaptive QoS (if you're using it). Also turn off AiProtection (malicious sites, Virtual patch and Infected device blocking). Turn off Traffic Analyser - statistics. See if these make it work better for you.

It's actually relevant, as the latest firmware does not allow directly flashing an alternative or older firmware. We'd need to know what you currently use, otherwise if we blindly tell you to flash something else, you might end up wasting a lot of your time trying to flash it, and failing.

So, what's the course of action to take if I happen to be at/above a certain level? Can I down-rev first and then flash to something else? If so, I'm guessing that you've already incorporated that statement into your directions? Or, am I "stuck"?

I don't know the current firmware on the router at this point and would need to check...

Other users have reported similar experience on this forum on various models. So you're not alone. People's different usage scenarios influence their likelihood of hitting bugs and resulting in destabilised system. Config tunings or user behaviour adaptation help somewhat. But when you hit bugs you hit bugs. Quite a few bugs out there.. both known and unknown.

Between Asus stock and Merlin FW, 99% are common IMO. As suggested above, you can visit Merlin webpage for difference highlight and see if Merlin FW can contribute in a positive way to your usage scenarios. Very unlikely though you're going to hit a jack pot of golden FW which will run smoothly for you, especially your usage scenarios have proved that you're more likely than others to hit possible bugs.

Can't be of much help at the moment as I'm a RT-AC56U user. One piece of advice I could offer is switching away from Adaptive QoS (if you're using it). Also turn off AiProtection (malicious sites, Virtual patch and Infected device blocking). Turn off Traffic Analyser - statistics. See if these make it work better for you.

I have only the minimal things turned on that I'm trying to take advantage of. That means I'm using Parental Controls to set times when the kids' devices are and aren't allowed, and I'm trying to take advantage of QoS so that my VOIP phone call quality doesn't degrade if a lot of other stuff is going on while I'm on the phone. I -was- using Traditional QoS, but that limits the traffic to 5Mb (I don't understand why) while Adaptive QoS seems to not impact the throughput numbers.

I'm seriously considering going back to a setup where my fancy new router is nothing but an AP and I use a traditional firewall deployment with QoS built into it for everything else.

I'm seriously considering going back to a setup where my fancy new router is nothing but an AP and I use a traditional firewall deployment with QoS built into it for everything else.

That'll be a waste of the powerful HW underneath RT-AC3100..

One thing that differentiates Merlin FW from Asus stock is "custom scripts" which make seasoned Linux users at home through SSH/telent, and allow you to customise in many ways you want. It's not that impossible on Asus stock but Merlin FW makes it lots easier and well structured, and performs well enough.

Traditional QoS can easily cope with your WAN speed. Must be some config errors that limits you to only 5Mbit/s. Try SSH into your router and check. Traditional QoS is "tc" underneath actually..

I shelled into the router and see the "mangle_rules" file has a number of entries for a chain called "QOS0". Executing iptables -L does not show that particular chain, however.

I also see that the version of iptables on this device is QUITE old.

I shelled into the router and see the "mangle_rules" file has a number of entries for a chain called "QOS0". Executing iptables -L does not show that particular chain, however.

I also see that the version of iptables on this device is QUITE old.
Time to tell us your router firmware version.
The RT-AC3100 is rather new, with limited firmware history. Rely on Asus that they will fix all major issues over time.
Check your router firmware version and look at below link to check for the latest Asus build, if you dont know the version there is a good chance your router is outdated:
http://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC3100/HelpDesk_Download/

Time to tell us your router firmware version.
The RT-AC3100 is rather new, with limited firmware history. Rely on Asus that they will fix all major issues over time.
Check your router firmware version and look at below link to check for the latest Asus build, if you dont know the version there is a good chance your router is outdated:
http://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC3100/HelpDesk_Download/

The version of iptables is from 2011. Clearly, it predates ASUS even putting this hardware into development let alone production release. The reason I don't know my firmware version off the top of my head is because I don't care, not because I don't keep it updated somewhat regularly.

Turns out, I have the latest firmware on the router as I must have done an update right around the time it was released. Based on what I have read about ASUS' firmwares, I definitely won't "rely" on them them to get these glitches fixed as it seems some of them have been around for a very long time.

I tried looking at the tc configuration area through SSH, but I'm just not seeing it. Can anyone point me to where I should be looking for it? And, why does the iptables ruleset seem to show reference to a whole bunch of rules for tables that don't actually exist? Is that a temp file that will vanish when I restart it? Does it indicate rules that WERE in use but now are not?

Interesting tidbit I just learned...

Traditional QoS works fine if you flip the values for upload and download speeds... Sigh.

The version of iptables is from 2011. Clearly, it predates ASUS even putting this hardware into development let alone production release. The reason I don't know my firmware version off the top of my head is because I don't care, not because I don't keep it updated somewhat regularly.

Turns out, I have the latest firmware on the router as I must have done an update right around the time it was released. Based on what I have read about ASUS' firmwares, I definitely won't "rely" on them them to get these glitches fixed as it seems some of them have been around for a very long time.

I tried looking at the tc configuration area through SSH, but I'm just not seeing it. Can anyone point me to where I should be looking for it? And, why does the iptables ruleset seem to show reference to a whole bunch of rules for tables that don't actually exist? Is that a temp file that will vanish when I restart it? Does it indicate rules that WERE in use but now are not?

Your self opinion is not going to help.
My suggestion to rely on Asus is based on experiences with the RT-N66U and RT-AC68U, both routers had lots of troubles in their early stage that vanished over a continuous stream of firmware upgrades, and upgrades are still released years after the first production date.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!