What's new

Advice Required - Setting up a SOHO Network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bluenapkin

New Around Here
Hi all,

My first post :)

I am part of a small start-up and we are moving into a new place which has 3+1 stories, a basement, ground floor, 1st story and roof terrace. Building is concrete and each level is small, about 400sqf. Diagram below...

To save cost, I have been tasked to DIY our own network for the entire office...

My requirements are simple -

1) Single Wireless SSID access covering all 4 levels; all client access will be wireless; there will be a few devices that may use wireless or LAN ports such as TV, Nintendo Wii etc.
2) Apple time capsule and a Dlink NAS (DNS-323) will be at the basement plugged into LAN ports; they need to be accessible through the wireless network.

I can think of 3 options:
1) Laying of cat6 cables with LAN points at all 4 levels. Place a L2 switch at basement and have Wireless AP at basement and level 1 providing full wireless coverage for entire premise.
2) Get a powerful Wireless Access point and place it at ground floor to (hopefully) cover all wireless requirement for all 4 stories. If need be, use wireless repeater / bridge to extend coverage.
3) Similar to (1) above, but instead of structured cabling, use Homeplug.

There are obvious pros / cons but I would be grateful for any advise or experience to share with me with regards to the requirements above... I am looking for something which works, not exorbitantly expensive and the simplest to implement and manage.

thanks in advance.

Attachments

• screen-capture-4.png
    screen-capture-4.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 240
I'll chime in too .. in a corporation/LLC, don't cheap out such that you skip or go vulnerable on WiFi security. Data compromise = troll lawyers = big $.