What's new

Advise for cheap APs network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mrchampipi

New Around Here
Hi there,

Looking for advises on what AP models to buy to cover a house with a network of AP (2 or 3).

_Big house on 3 levels, all wired with ethernet (got help from a pro, everything is ready).
_Internet access is slow: 9Mbs down, 1 up (not going to get better before a couple of years, remote countryside location)

So I'm looking for what AP model to buy based on:
_Price: I don't want to spend too much (slow internet) but I don't want to cheap out either (roaming capabilities, hopefully faster internet one day). Idealy, around 50€ /AP
_ease of use and management: my (old) parents are there more often than me.

Extra question: Main routeur connected to the internet is a box (Orange's Livebox 2_a ZTE/Sagem_). Should I disapble WIFI on it and use plug an AP if I want a unified network over the house?

Thank you in advance.
This is my first post on SNB, been reading for days: thanks to it, I didn't went mesh wifi blindly and decided to go APs instead.

So here are my options atm:

_TP-Link TL-WA901ND V5
42€. Cheap, but limited to 2.4ghz

_TP-Link EAP225
88€. Dual band, but do I need it with such slow internet access?

Also, still wondering if plugging one of the APs on the box/routeur will be mandatory for a unified wifi network.
(The box itself has sufficient wifi coverage for the room it is placed in)

Help really would be apreciated.

I would go cheap and wall mount so it may cover multiple floors with 2.4 ghz.
AC if you can get cheap as it improves even wireless N client service. Use 2.4 ghz to span floors, use 5ghz for single floor access if client supports. So find one that rates well on 2.4 ghz distance and obstacles.
What are the floors and interior walls made from ?

You will want hardwire ethernet to any AP even if it is ethernet over powerline or over RG6 cable (moca2).
Any cable connections available in the rooms ?

Thx for your answer.
Yes, most rooms are hard wired with ethernet. Like I said in my op, I got help from a pro a couple of days ago to prepare setup (switch to feed designated rooms).
Router is in the first floor. While wifi does reach 2nd floor, I would prefer to have another AP there (signals shouldn't overlap too much).
I also have a guest room in a basement, another AP will be placed there (over ethernet).

Now I still need to know if I should disable wifi on the box/router and plug an AP on it, or would it be fine to let it do its things wifi wise
(again, I'd like tohave a single network ssid all over the place for ease of use and confort)

Set the radios on channels that are wide apart. In the US, i would use 1, 6, and 11 to reduce interference. You also have to check what your neighbors are doing and set the channels to avoid their interference if possible, particularly on the 2.4 ghz band. That is one important reason to go with AC as the 5ghz band is less crowded and does not go as far. It will also help you for a floor by floor installation. Ceiling mount the basement so it will not radiate to to first floor as much. Use only 5ghz if you can. Otherwise if you cannot separate the 2.4ghz channels enough, you may have to reduce the power for the radio. You may also place the second floor AP on a low table so it interferes less with the first floor ISP provided wireless.

Use the same SSID across all radios. It will be up to the device to switch radios. This is the main issue with ‘seamless’ roaming anyway.

I would use the ISP wifi if possible rather than buying an additional AP. The only reason to not do that is if the ISP wireless does not support AC and you want to use 5ghz bands.

I would not worry about 5 GHz wireless. You don't have fast enough internet. Save your money.

@mrchampipi - I'm assuming you're somewhere in Europe? I ask because that may effect product availability.

I'm assuming there won't be much intra-LAN traffic, so 5Ghz can take a back seat. Rock-solid 2.4Ghz N is all that's of primary need here. Since it's your parents who will be the primary users, I would shoot for set-and-forget and look at working-pull/refurb 802.11N enterprise gear, optionally with a controller. You can get APs at well under 50€ per unit off eBay, and a controller for probably 100€ or less, making the average cost still come in under 50€ per AP. Then have the same pro/pros come back in and set it up properly and you're done, and literally shouldn't have to monkey with anything for however long the WAN and LAN conditions stay status-quo.

EDIT: If you prefer to go new consumer-class gear and/or do-it-yourself, an EAP225v3 is $68 USD on Amazon. Otherwise, the EAP115v4 is a measely $36. I would hope this class of gear is stable by now, but you often never know until you buy and try, which is why my first recommendation is working-pull enterprise 802.11N stuff, which should be easy enough to setup, or have that pro(s) do it for you, but I understand if that's not feasible for whatever reason...

The question remains, though, what country are you in?

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!