What's new

AiMesh not fully detecting failure of a multi-segment wired backhaul

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OzarkEdge

Part of the Furniture
My AiMesh has a MOCA2.5 wired backhaul consisting of a coax segment with an Ethernet segment on each end:

AiMesh router <2.5GbE> <MOCA2.5> <2.5GbE> AiMesh node

Router is on UPS1. Router end MOCA adapter is on UPS2. Node end MOCA adapter is on UPS3.

Given this multi-segment wired backhaul, AiMesh does not detect a wired backhaul failure (UPS2 failure) and then failover to wireless backhaul when the Ethernet segment connected to the node remains healthy (node end Ethernet connection not down). Is similar true for any multi-segment wired backhaul? Probably.

OE

I don't know about AiMesh backhaul, but this exact issue is very common with Asuswrt Dual WAN option - if there is a router upstream and it loses Internet connection Dual WAN may or may not detect the change until the Ethernet cable is physically disconnected from the Asus router. Must be some bug in the code because AiMesh has to check the connection between main and node regularly and Dual WAN has to do DNS queries and IP pings. 🤷‍♂️

I have had connection issues with the 2.5 GB port on the AX86U and the AX86U Pro using CAT 5e. Now I just do not use that port.

I remember this same 2.5GbE port was causing ISP disconnection as well on RT-AX86U. It wasn't always reconnecting on IP lease renewal. The regular Gigabit WAN port didn't have this issue. It was some time ago though and I don't know if the issue is present in current firmware.

Have you tried the same setup but with ethernet, obviously bringing them close together if possible to use ethernet, I guess if using MoCA there's no ethernet available. Just a thought, see if same issue is reproduced.

Have you tried the same setup but with ethernet, obviously bringing them close together if possible to use ethernet, I guess if using MoCA there's no ethernet available. Just a thought, see if same issue is reproduced.

When using a single Ethernet segment end-to-end, AiMesh detects its disconnection (router and node 2.5GbE ports down) and fails over to wireless backhaul. Reconnection reverts AiMesh to wired backhaul, but leaves the wireless backhaul connections in the Wireless Log... I'll wait these connections out... I know that AiMesh\System Reboot has cleared them previously.

OE