What's new

AiMesh question / advice.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fableman

Occasional Visitor
Hi.

Hope some of you can answer my questions..

1. I have my AX-88U as AiMesh router (master router) setup to reboot every sunday at 04:00 but will my AiMesh NOD AC-88U reboot aswell ?

2. I cant access the setting for my AiMesh NOD because I used the automatic NOD setup ?! (I guess that is why). Is it better to manually setup the router AC88U and configure it manually as a NOD. Will I then be able to login to the router and setup reboot times and stuff ? (I use cable between my Master and NOD)

Unless your ISP is provisioning your modem in a way that requires a weekly reboot, I would recommend to NOT schedule a weekly reboot. My 86U (with an 88U mesh node) run just fine for weeks at a time without a reboot and Merlin's update schedule is more that recurring enough to reboot with firmware upgrades.

And, regardless, you would have to reset/reboot the node manually.

Unless your ISP is provisioning your modem in a way that requires a weekly reboot, I would recommend to NOT schedule a weekly reboot. My 86U (with an 88U mesh node) run just fine for weeks at a time without a reboot and Merlin's update schedule is more that recurring enough to reboot with firmware upgrades.

And, regardless, you would have to reset/reboot the node manually.

Some times it happens that the ISP mess up and I need my system to reboot to restore that problem.
(I havent see any keep alive function in Merlin functions like other WRT have, I can easy make it myself using a bash script and crontab, but would e nice with built in things)

Back to my question.. Would I be able to login to the NOD router if I set it up manually and select it as NOD ?

Node? You mean Node, correct? IF so, then yes. You can SSH into it and run the reboot command. BUT, you shouldn't need to reboot the node, just the router.

Node? You mean Node, correct? IF so, then yes. You can SSH into it and run the reboot command. BUT, you shouldn't need to reboot the node, just the router.
Yes I mean NODE.

That's good news and it worked. The NODE was even using the same port number as the main router.

Will my crontab and script be erased during a update later ?

Other things that looks strange in the logs...

I found this in the NODE [ cat /var/log/log.nmbd ]

I have not SMB configured in my router, why is the SMB process even starting then?!

And the domain name is not WORKGROUP for me and still it try to use WORKGROUP (default settings i guess, but it should the value from: RT-AX88U's Domain Name )

Got a feeling the SMD process not even checking the correct WORKGROUP settings from the Master router :(

[2020/01/05 10:29:41, 0] nmbd/nmbd.c:861(nmbd_main)
nmbd version 3.6.25 started.
Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2011
[2020/01/05 10:29:41, 0] nmbd/asyncdns.c:157(start_async_dns)
started asyncdns process 758
[2020/01/05 10:36:05, 0] nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:397(become_local_master_stage2)

Samba name server RT-AC88U-C218 is now a local master browser for workgroup WORKGROUP on subnet 10.10.10.229

[2020/01/05 10:36:05, 0] nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:351(find_domain_master_name_query_fail)
find_domain_master_name_query_fail:
Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name WORKGROUP<1b> for the workgroup WORKGROUP.
Unable to sync browse lists in this workgroup.
[2020/01/05 10:51:18, 0] nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:351(find_domain_master_name_query_fail)
Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name WORKGROUP<1b> for the workgroup WORKGROUP.
[2020/01/05 11:06:10, 0] nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:351(find_domain_master_name_query_fail)
[2020/01/05 11:21:12, 0] nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:351(find_domain_master_name_query_fail)

Samba is just part of the firmware. You are seeing it "enable" so that users can go activate it in the webui. The end is the log showing that you don't have any groups set up/turned on/enabled.

Samba is just part of the firmware. You are seeing it "enable" so that users can go activate it in the webui. The end is the log showing that you don't have any groups set up/turned on/enabled.

Ok, just bad design from ASUS and even a security risk to even starting up services that users not even want to use. Would be easy to implement that functionality and that's how you normally do things.
SMB is not really know for security :)

Ok, just bad design from ASUS and even a security risk to even starting up services that users not even want to use. Would be easy to implement that functionality and that's how you normally do things.
SMB is not really know for security :)
It's not "starting" anything. I'm fairly certain it's just loading up the file set so that users can start it from the webui. Without what you are seeing in the log, it wouldn't be there at all.

It's not "starting" anything. I'm fairly certain it's just loading up the file set so that users can start it from the webui. Without what you are seeing in the log, it wouldn't be there at all.

No the service is flooding the logs with errors , else it would not if it was not running.

admin@RT-AC88U-C218:/tmp/home/root# ps

757 admin 5832 S /usr/sbin/nmbd -D -s /etc/smb.conf
758 admin 5524 S /usr/sbin/nmbd -D -s /etc/smb.conf
759 admin 5996 S /usr/sbin/smbd -D -s /etc/smb.conf

kill 757

[2020/01/05 19:39:09, 0] nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:351(find_domain_master_name_query_fail)
[2020/01/05 19:54:06, 0] nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:351(find_domain_master_name_query_fail)
[2020/01/05 20:09:15, 0] nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:351(find_domain_master_name_query_fail)
[2020/01/05 20:09:54, 0] nmbd/nmbd.c:66(terminate)
Got SIGTERM: going down...

End of service and log filling.

Hi.

Hope some of you can answer my questions..

1. I have my AX-88U as AiMesh router (master router) setup to reboot every sunday at 04:00 but will my AiMesh NOD AC-88U reboot aswell ?

2. I cant access the setting for my AiMesh NOD because I used the automatic NOD setup ?! (I guess that is why). Is it better to manually setup the router AC88U and configure it manually as a NOD. Will I then be able to login to the router and setup reboot times and stuff ? (I use cable between my Master and NOD)

You could enable the built-in scheduler, SSH to the nodes and run these commands (adjust the days/time to your preference):

nvram set reboot_schedule_enable=1
nvram set reboot_schedule=10000000400 (sunday at 4:00am)
nvram commit
reboot

NOTE: The day of the week is set to 0 or 1 to enable them, beginning with Sunday.

I have this setup on my system and it works well... RT-AC3100 router & RT-AC68U node
However, regardless what date/time the node is set to originally, after the first reboot, I find that the node will default to the aimesh router's date/time.

You could enable the built-in scheduler, SSH to the nodes and run these commands (adjust the days/time to your preference):

nvram set reboot_schedule_enable=1
nvram set reboot_schedule=10000000400 (sunday at 4:00am)
nvram commit
reboot

NOTE: The day of the week is set to 0 or 1 to enable them, beginning with Sunday.

I have this setup on my system and it works well... RT-AC3100 router & RT-AC68U node
However, regardless what date/time the node is set to originally, after the first reboot, I find that the node will default to the aimesh router's date/time.

Thanks that a good solution!

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online