What's new

AImesh vs. Accesspoint

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

doggyofone

Occasional Visitor
I have recently purchased an RT-AC86U to replace an aging RT-AC87U. I have an RT-AC66U A1 running as an AP via ethernet connection. Both run on Merlin with only the 87U getting updates at this time.
As it is probably a good time to update the 66U and with the 87U acting up, I am looking at a different solution. I'm considering an AImesh setup with the 86U and purchasing an 66U B1. I do have about a 50' ethernet cable I can connect 86U to 66U B1.
I have a a few questions that I can't find a consistent answer for when searching the internet and these forums:
  • Is it better to match the 86u with a second 86U (or other AImesh supported Asus router) rather than with a 66u B1 which I would have to purchase?
  • I have read is that the slower speed wins the race and that matching the 66U with the 86U will result in reduced speed and range from the 86U. Is this true?
  • Can I expect to see better wifi performance in an AImesh vs an AP? I see articles saying yes and some saying no.
  • Would it make sense to purchase an AX Wifi-6 router ie RT-AX58U and use it as the primary with the 86U as the node?
I appreciate any help offered and apologize in advance for the simple nature of the questions.

I have recently purchased an RT-AC86U to replace an aging RT-AC87U. I have an RT-AC66U A1 running as an AP via ethernet connection. Both run on Merlin with only the 87U getting updates at this time.
As it is probably a good time to update the 66U and with the 87U acting up, I am looking at a different solution. I'm considering an AImesh setup with the 86U and purchasing an 66U B1. I do have about a 50' ethernet cable I can connect 86U to 66U B1.
I have a a few questions that I can't find a consistent answer for when searching the internet and these forums:
  • Is it better to match the 86u with a second 86U (or other AImesh supported Asus router) rather than with a 66u B1 which I would have to purchase?
  • I have read is that the slower speed wins the race and that matching the 66U with the 86U will result in reduced speed and range from the 86U. Is this true?
  • Can I expect to see better wifi performance in an AImesh vs an AP? I see articles saying yes and some saying no.
  • Would it make sense to purchase an AX Wifi-6 router ie RT-AX58U and use it as the primary with the 86U as the node?
I appreciate any help offered and apologize in advance for the simple nature of the questions.

Yes, but it may not matter too much. I prefer matching the hardware and having a backup router. Note that the AC1900/AC68/AC66 B1 do not support Smart Connect node band steering, so you would use separate SSIDs for each band.

Yes, the WiFi coverage differences may affect placement, but probably not at 50'.

Yes, AiMesh is intended to serve better than APs. It remains to be proven for your clients. I'd try it.

No, I would wait for WiFi6e routers.

OE

Matched RT-AC86U routers do give great (and consistent performance), but are not necessary, depending on your ISP speeds. The speed and range of the RT-AC86U will not be affected by a wired RT-AC66U_B1 in AiMesh or AP mode either. :)

The RT-AX58U is a great option (and possibly a better one too, long term), depending on the price, or if your budget isn't overly strict. :)

AiMesh vs. AP is something you will need to test in your environment. In some, AiMesh works well enough. In others, AP mode works better (particularly with separate SSID's and Control Channels being used). Both work better wired. :)

If you did get the RT-AX58U and your ISP speeds are below about 200Mbps symmetrical up/down, then it may be a good choice for use as the primary router. Otherwise, the RT-AC86U far exceeds it in performance, particularly for OpenVPN performance. :)

HTH. :)

YMMV. I have Good luck with AIMesh and a pair of AC86Us, Ethernet Backhaul. Once everything stabilized and I don't mess with it.
I use Smart Connect, though most don't.

I would not mix/match 86Us and 66U-B1/68Us, especially when you want to use Smart Connect. Getting SC to work with YOUR equipment and environment nuances does require some trial and error with the SC rules. It took me a couple months and specific antenna orientation to get it right (for me). The Defaults are NOT good.

Remember AC68U, AC66U-B1 and AC86U are all dual radio devices. If anyone wants to AIMesh over Wifi they really should consider a Tri-band Router and Node. In your case, Ethernet backhaul is definitely the way to go, so dual band devices should be fine.

Assuming in your AP vs. AIMesh speed question that the Node/AP is connected to the router over Ethernet I don't see how there could be a performance difference. Only caveat is if AI Mesh does a better job at steering your client to the 86U AND your device supports MIMO and more streams than the 68U can support (AC1900 vs. AC2900).
upload_2020-5-12_12-5-46.png

Keeping the code base the same is sometime a challenge since the 66U-B1/68U and 86U have completely different Broadcom hardware.

Same with an AX58 / AC86U mixed setup. I dont own a AX58/68/88 however I can envision situations where WPA3 is enabled and a WPA3 capable device to the main router and you are steered to the 86U... How is that device going to react? Lots of uncharted territory, new protocols and closed source components would make me wary of mix and match - even if 'supported'.

Good luck.

Me too. Sometimes saves money too. My 2 RT-AC86U came as a kit for ~$300.
He already has one 86U, so...

My 2 cents is to buy the B2 since it's cheap, and install it as an AP and try mesh out it it's less than ideal. No sense in buying an AX router now unless you have AX clients or a burning need to spend money on them. Especially since you just bought an 86U already.

I would still buy a second AC86U. Much better WiFi than AC66U_B1. Two AC86U can run the same software. Same Merlin version is not same software on different hardware platforms.
If he is going to use one for AP OR AIMESH, it can run factory FW. Since he seems pretty content with his 87U and 66U A1 and is upgrading away from the 87U since it's "acting up" he likely won't need to spend the extra hundred bucks on the 86U. If money's no object, he should sell the 86U and buy a set of AX routers now.

Me too. Sometimes saves money too. My 2 RT-AC86U came as a kit for ~$300.

Got my two for $280 with Asus rebate. :)

With supplies down and prices up, now is not a good time to buy routers.

OE

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I'll sit with the 86U and likely either the 66U A1or 87U in AP mode and see how that works. I'm in Canada and the $ exchange rate with US funds is about $1.43 right now, so devices like routers are more expensive. The 86U cost me about $140usd on sale ($249 retail), so not too bad. I have also done some trougleshooting with the 87U and laptop and it looks like the pcie network card may be futzed. I tried a USB network device and now everything seems to be running well. So I will test out the 87U as an AP via ethernet cable first. As far as an ax router goes, everything I read tells me to wait and I wifi 6 device anyways.

That's the one I got. $203 with gst. The AC66U B1 was on sale at several places for $97-99 cad, free shipping at Staples - but of course oos. Others charge ~$10 for delivery. Will test out the AP first with the AC68U (as soon as it gets delivered) and the 87U and/or 66U which is my AP at this point.

This brings up another couple questions:
Can I set up both the 87U and 66U as access points with the 86U as the primary router?
Secondly can I setup the second AP via a wireless connection, or does it have to be connected via ethernet cable. Ethernet might be doable, but I would have to connect off of a 10/100/100 switch.
Thanks for all the input and help.

I am running a RT-AC86U as primary and a RT-AC1900P as AiMesh node. Both are on Merlin firmware. They are connected via a pair of Netgear PLP1200 powerline units. Both wifi bands are using same SSID/password. I have Roam Assist on, Smart Connect off. The setting for Disconnect clients with RSSI lower than : -65 on the 2.4g band and -68 on 5g band. So far this has worked great. Even if I reboot either router, it only take 10 minutes or so for all 24 wifi devices to settle on best wifi connection.

You can. Do you need so many APs though? How big is the place?

No. Only in AiMesh setup. AC87U and AC66U don't support AiMesh.

Thanks for the help. I have two 1500 sq' floors, with a lot between the router and ap. With a 2nd ap I could setup the 66u in my workshop/garage, which does not get good wifi. Maybe the 86u will resolve that..

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!