What's new

Airlive N.Power versus Ubiquiti Power AP N

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cadu

New Around Here
Hi all,

I'm looking for a second WiFi router to extend the signal from the one i already have. That one is a TP-Link 8960N, with ADSL2+ built in.

What i'd like to do is to buy one of these, "Airlive N.Power" or "Ubiquiti Power AP N" and place it outside, extending the signal from the TP-Link. I do not want to wire it, so it has to work as a repeater bridge.

Also, i'm planning to replace its stock antenna, with one 10DBi from Airlive, in the case of the N.Power, and 2x10dbi in the case of Power AP N.

Looks like the "Airlive N.Power" has 30dbm power without the antenna, and 33dbm with its stock 3dbi antenna.

The "Ubiquiti Power AP N" has 27dbm, plus 6dbi from its stock antenna. Am i correct?

So, both should be able to achieve 33dbm from stock. However, the "Air Live N.Power" with a 10dbi antenna can achieve 40dbm total. While the "Ubiquiti N.Power" can reach 37dbm total.

Please forgive me if i said something that's wrong, since i don't know this Wireless technology at all.

Which one would be better for me? Please have in mind that i'd like to use my iOS devices (iPad, iPhone) from the outside, like from 200m distant.

Thanks!

Answering my own question.

Do not get the Airlive. Buy the Ubiquiti. I was only able to use MCS0 (11mbps) with Airlive N.Power.

Using the Power AP N Right now... what a difference.

Thanks anyway.

Exterior Range/Throughput Questions

Cadu,

I am guessing you are using the PowerAP-N as a wireless repeater bridge, with the device mounted outside inside some type of weather-protected enclosure. Is that correct? What kind of ranges and sustained throughputs are you achieving with your IOS devices?

thanks,

Steve

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!