What's new

Almost bricked my router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dciarnie

Occasional Visitor
I tried to enable IPTraffic under Tools -> Other Settings but when I applied the setting, my router hung. The only way to recover was to do a hard reset and then reconfigure the router. The only thing that I can think that might have caused this is that I neglected to check "Create or reset IPTraffic data files". Would that hang the router?

As an aside, the reason that I was trying to enable IPTraffic was that on the Traffic Analyzer -> Statistic page, it states "You should turn on the Traffic Statistic to record the traffic information". Unfortunately, it is not clear to me exactly where one turns on Traffic Statistic. Are IPTraffic and Traffic Statistic synonymous or is there another setting?

All information greatly appreciated.

No solution, but after updating to 380.57 and during the process of manually reconfiguring my settings after the factory reset, I came to that Other Settings page. After I saved my settings, the router rebooted but failed to restore its wireless, and began rebooting over and over. I had to factory reset back to 378.56_2.

Maybe I need to go back a version as well...

I just rebooted my router after installing a package (rsync) with Entware. When the router came back up, jffs/scripts and jffs/configs were empty with the consequence that the entware directory was not linked and therefore none of the installed packages were available. I don't see anything obvious in the logs that might explain what caused this.

I just gave enabling IPTraffic another shot but this time selecting the "Create or reset IPTraffic data files" option. There was no difference. My router hanged again and I had to reset it to recover.

I would suggest not enabling this option in 380.57.

The Asus instructions on that page have an unfortunate use of the word "should" that implies the setting is recommended as Enabled. A better wording would be "If you want to record traffic information, enable Traffic Analyzer." And maybe, "this setting is not required or recommended for normal router operation."

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Well, I would make a much stronger statement. Unless you want to screw up your router DO NOT enable IPTraffic on the Tools -> Other Settings page.

I have tried to make sure that I have set everything that I can think of that might be required under the Traffic Monitor section but my router hangs every time and I have to do a hard reset*. I would like to report this as a bug but I don't see anywhere that can be done.

*It's possible that Recovery Mode might have been sufficient but I just realized that I was doing it wrong. Regardless, I had to reset the router and that shouldn't be necessary.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!