What's new

Amped R1000 Problems, thinking Asus RT-N56U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cashew

Occasional Visitor
Overview

First post, long time observer. I have a three story, 3,900 SQFT home. About 1,300 SQFT per floor. On the main floor (2nd), I have an Amped R1000 against the far left wall where my entertainment area is (Plasma, RoKu, DECT 6.0 phone, etc). Kitchen is in the middle of the house. I purchased this router used on Amazon.

Issue

When on the 3rd floor, in the furthest room right (router furthest left on 2nd floor), I have trouble streaming HD and SD videos. Every few minutes it will stop , then catch up. I seem to get a great speedtest rate at times (>20mbps), but other times (<2mbps). These results are always sporadic and resetting the router seems to fix it for a few minutes, but the poor performance happens again. I had an old e1200 flashed with DD-WRT set as a bridge, but I only get consistently 2mbps when using it. Connection and streaming is pretty solid throughout the house, except in the bedroom (furthest right, 3rd floor).

The signal does essentially propagate through a kitchen and a baby room w/ baby monitor.

Troubleshooting to date

I've download a spectrum analyzer and noticed a lot of neighboring APs using CH 1 and CH 6. I've been using the auto channel setting, but when I scan, it seems to always default to ch 6. I manually set my channel to 11 and set the channel width to 20MHz. I see a little improvement, but still have streaming issues.

Conclusion and fix

Sick of messing with the router, I'm in mindset that the used router I purchased has issues. I contacted Amped support and they recommended either replacing the antennas or sending it in to be replaced. Since it's used, I'm sure I can't get a warranty replacement. I'm hoping adding the 5.0ghz range may help.

Assuming it is a hardware issue, here's what I'm considering:

- Purchasing the Asus RT-N56 to replace the Amped router
- If the signal still is degraded, purchasing another Asus router to be used as a bridge (I know it's half the speed, but next to the router wirelessly I get 25mbps, so I'll be happy with 10 in the 3rd floor room)

You guys kick butt, so I'm sure you'll weigh-in with valuable insight and recommendations :)

You have one WiFi router - trying to service 3 floors, 1300ft per floor?

You'll need to add at least one, perhaps 2 access points (APs), these being either a re-configured WiFi router of any old kind, or a purpose build AP (cost more).

And then a method to connect the APs to the main router's LAN port, or an ethernet switch which is, ideally, more centrally located.

The connection methods include:
cat5 wiring in attic/walls
HomePlug or other IP over power wires devices (3)
MoCA for IP over existing TV coax cables.

"Amped" might mean a better "from wifi router" signal, but it won't do much to offset the weak signals TO the WiFi router.

Great info, thanks! Cost isn't too big of a concern given our current frustration. It seems like the optimal solution is to continue using the Amped router with two additional routers placed on each floor. So, I'll purchase two additional routers and use HomePlug for each router.

Can I used a standard router for the two I'll plug into HomePlug, or does it need to be something specific (i.e. DD-WRT compatible or out of the box repeater)?

Set it to 40mhz and then also set to ch 9. I have a phone that only wants to be stable on ch 9. Sometimes certain devices have trouble with some wifi channels. I have the R20000G and I had mine on 11 but my phone acted up on that one. I set to ch 9 and it acts better for some strange reason. but no other devices have trouble on any channels but my phone.

Have you also tried another USB adapter or WLAN card?

Also I think the baby monitor is interferring? is there an option on it to change the wifi channel? I think there are also 5Ghz ones you can get as well.

However I think that dual band may work, however note that 5Ghz DOES NOT have as good of a range as 2.4Ghz.

Also I don't think you need two more routers. You can just get a range extender and it's easier then running cables all over the house and it's plug-n-play easier. No messing with DDWRT and configuring as an AP...

As far as homeplug goes you can use any router. Doesn't matter the firmware. I also have Amped PLA2 and it works fine with my R20000G.

Last edited:
I performed a deeper analysis and it seems it's just one room that is having the issues. I'm going to purchase a HomePlug and connect a spare router to it. Few questions:

-After I connect an additional router to a HomePlug (which is plugged into my main router), will it begin broadcasting a different SSID? I'd ideally like to have the second router distribute the same SSID, disable DHCP on it, and let the original router work as the total management system

-Does HomePlug affect the energy bill more than a standard electronic device?

What room has the issues? Can you also please tell us more about the construction of the house?

Also The answer to #1 is yes, and you could set it as you indicated, however your client devices may not handle it right... depends on the device.

The answer to #2, not really... they prolly use as much as a night light or less.

It's the room on the 3rd floor on the opposite side of the router. Home was built in 2000, three sided brick, kitchen in the middle of the house on the second floor.

At work, we setup an Aruba wireless system with multiple APs and a controller. The controller monitors each client and as they get closer to another AP, it will seamlessly pass that over the next - session and all. I'd love that scenario, minus the $$$$.

Does that room have different construction like it being an add-on or has paneling for sound isolation/etc... ?

I also recommend you reposition your router and seeing if the condition improves

Original room, however, you may be a genius for the movement comment. Ideally, I'd like to move the router in the middle of the home on the 2nd floor, but cannot due to lack of coax for the modem.

How about this: leave the modem where it is and plug it into a HomePlug. Then, plug the router centrally in the home via HomePlug. Any issues with that?

I should receive the HomePlug tomorrow. in the meantime, I noticed that the linksys e900 refurb is $20 on Amazon. I'm tempted to purchase three of them and flash with DD-WRT. I could then place one on each level and use HomePlug for the first and third floor.

I've seen mixed responses on this, but what is the optimal SSID configuration with one router and two APs?

-Set the same SSID, but risk a device staying connected to the 1st floor AP while on the 3rd floor?

-Set separate SSIDs, but have the same problem as above? If I have three saved networks within range, will it always connect to the one with best rang as I move around?

Or tomorrow, I can answer my own questions by trying it myself :)

Even if I set each to individual channels (1, 6, 11) and use only half transmit power?
more APs than needed but no harm.
Using 3 channels is fine, but only needed if the channel that an AP is on has very high traffic loads. Usually this doesn't happen.

Half power will have no effect.

Thanks again everyone. Day 1 of testing is complete and I have to say this has cured my wi-fi woes. After a few hours of tweaking, here's what I've come up with:

-lots of neighboring APs and people streaming Netflix on ch6, so I'm using ch 1 & 11. I initially tried 6 for both and my speedtest showed around 9mbps, where now it's around 27mbps.

-when both were on full power, clients would never disassociate with its original AP regardless of signal. When I get closer to the second AP, it will authenticate to that one. What really helped that was placing them on separate floors and separate sides of the house and using half power tx.

-HomePlug is amazing. I picked up the Zyxel 500mbps pair on amazon for $49. Only downside is that they make a humming noise. If I decide to complete my basement, I'll buy a single adapter. I think I can plug in the third one and it will associate to the original (up to 7) I think.

It's stable, but remember I've reduced the tx power by half. I ordered a Linkays 1200 to use with two Linksys 1000 routers. I also ordered another Zyxel HonePlug. So far so good.

I think in your situation you'd be best off using your R10000 at full TX and then using one or two of those other routers in AP or range extender mode. No need to have 4 devices in your house. How's the homeplug?

I replaced my R1000 with a DD-WRT flashed Refurb Linksys e1200. I have to say, performance has been amazing (note: WMM must be disabled on the e1200 for optimum wireless performance). I added a third Trendnet HomePlug in my basement that is plugged directly into a PS3. Speedtest shows 21mbps, whereas prior it was around 6mbps. I'll throw a DD-WRT Linksys e1000 down there this weekend. Thanks for all the advice. For the ADD folks, here's my recap for a 4,000 sqft home:

-3 APs, one acting as router and two as APs. all using the same SSID; router performing all management (DHCP, QoS, etc)
-E1200 2nd floor, performing routing and acting as AP - anchor for HomePlug
-E1000 3rd floor, performing AP - backbone connected via HomePlug to 2nd floor router
-E1000 (tested) 1st floor, performing AP - backbone connected via HomePlug to 2nd floor router
-TX Power set to 35 on each AP. forces strongest network association after sleep, or mobile phone or tablet, powering on screen

Remixedcat: thanks for your help! HomePlug has been great. I purchased the 500mbps Trendnet TPL 406-E2K ($49) and a TPL 406E ($34) from Amazon.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!