What's new

Amped R1000 Problems, thinking Asus RT-N56U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

-TX Power set to 35 on each AP. forces strongest network association after sleep, or mobile phone or tablet, powering on screen
Some few WiFi client devices will choose the strongest signal and do so among all of the APs with the most-preferred SSID. And a few also will do so when the current AP's signal declines too much (due to moving).

But most don't.

What a given client make/model will do re the above, or when coming out of a sleep or power-on, is unpredictable. IEEE 802.11 does not spec it.

Also most phones are not good at switching and some, if you keep 3g on will have a lag like this:

3G>>pause>>wifi>>pause>>3G>>pause>>wifi>>etc... so if you roam a lot with a device that has a 3G/4G connection it's best to turn the 3G/4G off when you roam a lot to eliminate the lag.

Also most phones are not good at switching and some, if you keep 3g on will have a lag like this:

3G>>pause>>wifi>>pause>>3G>>pause>>wifi>>etc... so if you roam a lot with a device that has a 3G/4G connection it's best to turn the 3G/4G off when you roam a lot to eliminate the lag.
My Android (HTC) phone with Verizon 3G does a good job of using my home WiFi and switching to cellular only if the home router's SSID in the beacon broadcasts of 802.11 are gone for about 1-2 minutes.

That's good. However, not all phones are that good about it... My phone (ZTE N860) is very bad at that. It often has a 3-5 sec lag lately. :( Sometimes I have to turn the wifi off, then the 3g off, wait a min, then turn the wifi on to get it to reconnect sometimes... PITA.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!