What's new

amtm amtm - the Asuswrt-Merlin Terminal Menu

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

That's correct.
I'll change that in Diversion as well then. I use the brute-force "reboot" command for those that find the hidden option to do so.

now that we're talking about the reboot scheduler, is it useful?
I've noticed that even with daily reboot, the ram is almost at 100% (but from what I've read, that's ok with the rt-ac86u).

or in other words, what's its purpose? :)

now that we're talking about the reboot scheduler, is it useful?
I've noticed that even with daily reboot, the ram is almost at 100% (but from what I've read, that's ok with the rt-ac86u).

or in other words, what's its purpose? :)

Not useful or needed for most people. Some do seem to have an ISP related issue which the reboot solves for them.

The RAM usage is a non-issue, Linux manages it well by itself. ;)

You do have a USB drive with a swap file, correct? :)

Not useful or needed for most people. Some do seem to have an ISP related issue which the reboot solves for them.

The RAM usage is a non-issue, Linux manages it well by itself. ;)

You do have a USB drive with a swap file, correct? :)
yeah, I have the swap file.
The router is running two openvpn clients 24/7 and it also has an hdd connected to the usb port that is the file history drive of my laptop.

I have noticed that every hour there are events related to the 2 openvpn clients on the syslogs

Code:
Apr 18 22:45:32 ovpn-client1[1574]: TLS: tls_process: killed expiring key
Apr 18 22:45:33 ovpn-client1[1574]: VERIFY OK: depth=2, C=PA, O=NordVPN, CN=NordVPN Root CA
Apr 18 22:45:33 ovpn-client1[1574]: VERIFY OK: depth=1, C=PA, O=NordVPN, CN=NordVPN CA3
Apr 18 22:45:33 ovpn-client1[1574]: VERIFY KU OK
Apr 18 22:45:33 ovpn-client1[1574]: Validating certificate extended key usage
Apr 18 22:45:33 ovpn-client1[1574]: ++ Certificate has EKU (str) TLS Web Server Authentication, expects TLS Web Server Authentication
Apr 18 22:45:33 ovpn-client1[1574]: VERIFY EKU OK
Apr 18 22:45:33 ovpn-client1[1574]: VERIFY OK: depth=0, CN=us381.nordvpn.com
Apr 18 22:45:34 ovpn-client1[1574]: Outgoing Data Channel: Cipher 'AES-256-GCM' initialized with 256 bit key
Apr 18 22:45:34 ovpn-client1[1574]: Incoming Data Channel: Cipher 'AES-256-GCM' initialized with 256 bit key
Apr 18 22:45:34 ovpn-client1[1574]: Control Channel: TLSv1.2, cipher TLSv1.2 ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384, 4096 bit RSA
Apr 18 22:46:26 ovpn-client2[1676]: VERIFY OK: depth=2, C=PA, O=NordVPN, CN=NordVPN Root CA
Apr 18 22:46:26 ovpn-client2[1676]: VERIFY OK: depth=1, C=PA, O=NordVPN, CN=NordVPN CA3
Apr 18 22:46:26 ovpn-client2[1676]: VERIFY KU OK
Apr 18 22:46:26 ovpn-client2[1676]: Validating certificate extended key usage
Apr 18 22:46:26 ovpn-client2[1676]: ++ Certificate has EKU (str) TLS Web Server Authentication, expects TLS Web Server Authentication
Apr 18 22:46:26 ovpn-client2[1676]: VERIFY EKU OK
Apr 18 22:46:26 ovpn-client2[1676]: VERIFY OK: depth=0, CN=de516.nordvpn.com
Apr 18 22:46:26 ovpn-client2[1676]: Outgoing Data Channel: Cipher 'AES-256-GCM' initialized with 256 bit key
Apr 18 22:46:26 ovpn-client2[1676]: Incoming Data Channel: Cipher 'AES-256-GCM' initialized with 256 bit key
Apr 18 22:46:26 ovpn-client2[1676]: Control Channel: TLSv1.2, cipher TLSv1.2 ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384, 4096 bit RSA

I think those are also normal, right ?

Do a careful inspection of the router's USB ports and make sure the pins are not bend and touching each other.

Checked the router's USB ports and the pins seem perfectly fine.

Absolutely will still power on, but not function.

Have had that happen to three of my devices, over the years.

Interesting. How can I obtain a new PSU for a device that's out of warranty? Can I use a different power adapter with the same voltage/amperage?

This I've seen happen many times. And when you need them most, they only want to schedule an appointment. Usually for 'sometime next week'. :(

Get a stable replacement router and get the modem back into bridged mode. Sure, we can get ourselves in a jam with our own equipment, but then it is also up to us to get out of anything we may create or run into too.

As DAVID LONG mentioned, the power supply is the first suspect. See if you can get a quality replacement to at least test the 'dead' router with. Even if it isn't the actual cause, it would be worth keeping for the replacement (assuming it is compatible, of course). ;)

That's exactly how long it took: a week. After not showing up one day and coming in the wrong time of day for the next two attempts, the technician finally came to my residence and, after measuring the fiber's "signal" (actually, the optical power), he said it was a problem with their ONU. The measured "received power" was around -18 dBm (currently, -18.56 dBm), and it was being informed as something around -33 dBm to my ISP.

Still not sure how any of that was affecting my connection, which was fine, but they replaced the ONU with a different one, which has fewer LAN ports (2, instead of 4), only one of those being Gigabit Ethernet (all 4 of the previous ONU were gigabit). I complained about that, since I'm being forced to have internet only on select devices - an access point and a switch, with the former limited to a 100Mbps connection (my plan is for 300Mbps).

Until they locate yet another replacement, I'm trying to put their ONU in bridge mode by myself, since my new Asus router (RT-AC86U) was delivered today. I've already installed Merlin's latest firmware and configured it for DHCP. Would simply changing the connection type from "Route" to "Bridge" in the ONU's internet settings (listed under broadband settings, as part of "WAN List") suffice? If I set it to bridge, it automatically disables the DHCP server, so I don't have to do that manually, correct?

I'm only asking because, once the ONU is in bridge, I can't access it through a local network anymore. Or at least I couldn't the last time it was configured like that. I remember being able to access its GUI even when it was in bridge mode, before my AC87U "died" for the first time, over a year ago.

Edited to add some more info: "Connection Type" ("Route" or "Bridge") is listed under "Network > Broadband Settings > Internet Settings" in the ONU. "DHCP Service" (" Disable" or "Server") is listed under "Network > DHCP Server > DHCP Service". So, they're separate settings.

Should I set "DHCP Service" to "Disable" before changing "Connection Type" from "Route" to "Bridge", or it doesn't matter? Could that be related to the fact I had access to the ONU's GUI when it was in bridge mode the first time I had it configured like that, but not the second, most recent experience? The ONU has always had a different gateway than the router.

Two other settings that I don't know if I should change are "VLAN ID" (a number between 1 and 4094) and "Priority" (which can be anything from 0 to 7 - currently set to 1). Also, with the ONU in bridge, does the PPPoE authentication happen automatically or do I have to manually configure PPPoE in the router? I don't remember doing that.

Last edited:
Checked the router's USB ports and the pins seem perfectly fine.

Interesting. How can I obtain a new PSU for a device that's out of warranty? Can I use a different power adapter with the same voltage/amperage?

That's exactly how long it took: a week. After not showing up one day and coming in the wrong time of day for the next two attempts, the technician finally came to my residence and, after measuring the fiber's "signal" (actually, the optical power), he said it was a problem with their ONU. The measured "received power" was around -18 dBm (currently, -18.56 dBm), and it was being informed as something around -33 dBm to my ISP.

Still not sure how any of that was affecting my connection, which was fine, but they replaced the ONU with a different one, which has fewer LAN ports (2, instead of 4), only one of those being Gigabit Ethernet (all 4 of the previous ONU were gigabit). I complained about that, since I'm being forced to have internet only on select devices - an access point and a switch, with the former limited to a 100Mbps connection (my plan is for 300Mbps).

Until they locate yet another replacement, I'm trying to put their ONU in bridge mode by myself, since my new Asus router (RT-AC86U) was delivered today. I've already installed Merlin's latest firmware and configured it for DHCP. Would simply changing the connection type from "Route" to "Bridge" in the ONU's internet settings (listed under broadband settings, as part of "WAN List") suffice? If I set it to bridge, it automatically disables the DHCP server, so I don't have to do that manually, correct?

I'm only asking because, once the ONU is in bridge, I can't access it through a local network anymore. Or at least I couldn't the last time it was configured like that. I remember being able to access its GUI even when it was in bridge mode, before my AC87U "died" for the first time, over a year ago.

Edited to add some more info: "Connection Type" ("Route" or "Bridge") is listed under "Network > Broadband Settings > Internet Settings" in the ONU. "DHCP Service" (" Disable" or "Server") is listed under "Network > DHCP Server > DHCP Service". So, they're separate settings.

Should I set "DHCP Service" to "Disable" before changing "Connection Type" from "Route" to "Bridge", or it doesn't matter? Could that be related to the fact I had access to the ONU's GUI when it was in bridge mode the first time I had it configured like that, but not the second, most recent experience? The ONU has always had a different gateway than the router.

Two other settings that I don't know if I should change are "VLAN ID" (a number between 1 and 4094) and "Priority" (which can be anything from 0 to 7 - currently set to 1). Also, with the ONU in bridge, does the PPPoE authentication happen automatically or do I have to manually configure PPPoE in the router? I don't remember doing that.

Suggest you start a new thread - way off topic here ... and I'm sure your post as a new thread will attract meaningful responses on the topic your are seeking help on.

amtm 2.0 is now available

What's new in amtm 2.0
- New cleaner UI, not installed scripts or tools are now hidden. Use i to show all
- New menu order and naming, availability of scripts is dependent on firmware features
- Disk check script can now also receive updates. Use su to check
- Disk check and Format disk logs can now be deleted when viewed
- Diversion now also supports md5sum update checks, amtm makes use of it when running su
- Format disk now has a better device size detection

- New Disk check script thanks to @ColinTaylor . It now uses a more reliable filesystem type detection by the router.
This requires firmware version 384.11 or V39E1 (John's LTS fork) or higher to work.
A fall-back to the previous disk check is built in for routers not supporting it.
Enter dc to update the disk check script after updating amtm.
For the full write up how the new check works, read more here: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/USB-Disk-Check-at-Boot-or-Hot-Plug-(improved-version)
@ColinTaylor did the research and write up of the wiki, including script samples, while @RMerlin and @john9527 implemented the extra parameter in their firmware (and maybe more...).
Colin's SNB thread is here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/u...k-at-boot-or-hot-plug-improved-version.56205/

How to update to this latest version
Use u to update amtm

amtm new install, no supported scripts or tools enabled:

Hwqlavb.png

Enter i to show available scripts or tools to install or run:

NUJk0Lb.png

Only installed scripts/tools are now shown in default view:

EDTQ2R5.png

Last edited:
Gah, I'm such a creature of habit, I'll keep punching 5 for Skynet or 8 for ntpMerlin for weeks, only punching 1 will be correct.

Kind of like how I fallback to writing the wrong year mid January of the new year.

:oops: :rolleyes: o_O :p

And GMail thinks you might be evil. :D
screenshot-mail-google-com-2019-04-19-14-01-49.png

Gah, I'm such a creature of habit, I'll keep punching 5 for Skynet or 8 for ntpMerlin for weeks, only punching 1 will be correct.

Kind of like how I fallback to writing the wrong year mid January of the new year.
Old habits die hard, but don't let that stop you from trying something new every now and then ;):mad:

Disk check version has been updated from 2.0 to 2.2.

Use u to update amtm, then update script with dc.
This fixes necessary variable escapes and naming in the disk check script.
Thanks @ColinTaylor for pointing them out so quickly.

Disk check version has been updated from 2.0 to 2.2.

Use u to update amtm, then update script with dc.
This fixes necessary variable escapes and naming in the disk check script.
Thanks @ColinTaylor for pointing them out so quickly.
any chance including disk check version numberon menu?

any chance including disk check version numberon menu?
Look at the screenshot a few posts up. There's no space left on that line.
And there will be few, if any more updates for that script. We maxed it out with what's possible.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!