What's new

Another router or a video/game adapter?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Repeater, no, a bridge or router than can be placed in to bridge mode (WDS briding), sure. Or the Netgear thingie that you posted would also work well.

A repeater only repeats the signal, it generally doesn't allow you to connect devices to it through wired ports.

Repeater, no, a bridge or router than can be placed in to bridge mode (WDS briding), sure. Or the Netgear thingie that you posted would also work well.

A repeater only repeats the signal, it generally doesn't allow you to connect devices to it through wired ports.

Seeing how the Netgear device is a lot cheaper than another ASUS router, and seems like it will do the same thing, guess that is what I will do.

I'd put ethernet powerline adapter in your bedroom and the family room then put a switch in the family room for the wired devices.

Seeing how the Netgear device is a lot cheaper than another ASUS router, and seems like it will do the same thing, guess that is what I will do.

Well the difference being another Asus router like you have could do a wireless AC bridge where the Netgear adapter looks to be wireless N only.

I'd put ethernet powerline adapter in your bedroom and the family room then put a switch in the family room for the wired devices.

You have a recommendation on an ethernet powerline adapter, and a switch?

Or buy a linksys e3000 used on eBay for $25, I just sold one for $25, put dd-wrt on it, set it up as a client bridge in the 5ghz band and you at done.
Then you can also use the 2.4ghz band as a seperate AP if you want.
It's what I do.

You have a recommendation on an ethernet powerline adapter, and a switch?
I'd look at the D link AV-500, it has a built in 4 port gb switch along with a Dlink DHP-501AV, if you get the kit you can have another port somewhere else. They also have a AV4 kit that is fast ethernet that comes with both pieces. I like the 4 port option, less boxes.

Ethernet ports are only 100mbps.

So if you want to share files on home network with multiple devices, 100mbps wont be enough.

If you just going to use it for xbox potato or play potato, then it will get the job done.

Currently I have an ASUS Ac66U router in my bedroom. In my family room, I have a few devices that do not have WIFI, but have an ethernet port. Would I be better off buying another ASUS router, and using it as a "repeater" or buy something like a Netgear WNCE4004 (http://www.netgear.com/home/products/connected-entertainment/gaming-home-theater/wnce4004.aspx) and connect those devices to that?
A wireless bridge is exactly what you need if you want to connect via wireless. The WNCE4004 did well in 2.4 GHz in our tests, but was not able to reach high throughput in 5 GHz.

As OPs have noted, you can flash alternative firmware on to some routers and operate them as wireless bridges.

Powerline is also a viable alternative. You may need to experiment a bit and track down interference sources like cellphone chargers and other "wall-wart" type power supplies. The best one we have tested to date is the TP-LINK TL-PA6010KIT AV600 Gigabit Powerline Adapter Starter Kit.

You'll find a 10% off coupon here.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!