What's new

Any good Wifi routers with solid VPN endpoint?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

abbyd

New Around Here
Howdy folks I am looking to make the right call for my SOHO VPN solution. I think I understand the pros and cons of PPTP, QuickVPN, L2TP/IPSec, and SSL.

* small wireless LAN
* security is important
* 2-4 remote devices need full inbound network access
* Windows, iPhone/Droid could be nice
* budget is up to $500

Initially I thought some of the Cisco gear with PPTP endpoint could work, but I think PPTP is too insecure. Cisco's small business line is taking a beating in amazon and newegg reviews. As usual I'm not sure if it's people not RTFMing or if their firmware really is crap? Draytek looks like a viable option, though I hear support is not great. Netgear is out, period. I am a fan of Engenius, but it doesn't look like they have any such gear.

If I can't find a decent router/VPN server, I'll probably just build a lightweight Linux box to host OpenVPN.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Fraytek works quite well

Hi,

I have a Draytek 2920n and it was very easy to set up the vpn so would recommend that product. The support forums are active and they have responded to messages when I had questions about another subject.

They also update their firmware and add features

All in all it has been good although I am not using it with lots of connections so cannot comment on that side of things.

It worked well using dyndns.

Cheers

That's great - thanks for the recommendation. DynDNS is a nice feature to have as well, then I don't have to run a client on the LAN side. Also good to hear that support has improved.

I see "VPN hardware co-processor" mentioned in some of the Draytek specs, I'm guessing that would be a chip dedicated to encryption/decryption... Load should be low but that will probably help with throughput.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!