What's new

Any way to forget a custom client?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

p1r473

Regular Contributor
I have some clients that I don't possess anymore. How can I "forget" them so that when I show the nvram custom clients they don't show up/ are forgotten?

Thanks

Code:
nvram unset custom_clientlist
nvram commit
reboot

rm /jffs/nmp_client_list && reboot

or factory reset is it. 380.61 offline client list "x" actual deletes clients i have been told but seen i not updated personal check

Code:
nvram unset custom_clientlist
nvram commit
reboot

rm /jffs/nmp_client_list && reboot

or factory reset is it. 380.61 offline client list "x" actual deletes clients i have been told but seen i not updated personal check

That will delete all of your custom client names. I suggest you edit custom_clientlist by hand, and then commit it to nvram. There is no need to reboot. The GUI will pick it up automatically.

Here is part of a script I use to report the custom names. Maybe it will give you an idea of what you're looking at.
Code:
nvram get custom_clientlist | sed 's/</\n/g; s/>/\t/g' | sed 's/^/custom\t/' | tail '+2' | sed 's/\(^.*\)\(\t.*\)\(\t[0-9A-F][0-9A-F]:.*$\)/\1\3\2/'

portions of that list are now save in the jffs partion.

And editing it by hand is pain in the butt.

portions of that list are now save in the jffs partion.

And editing it by hand is pain in the butt.

I haven't had a problem editing it by hand, but I can see how it would be difficult for some.

In any case, when did the list start getting saved to jffs? I don't see it in 380.61. Do you know the details?

That will delete all of your custom client names. I suggest you edit custom_clientlist by hand, and then commit it to nvram. There is no need to reboot. The GUI will pick it up automatically.

Here is part of a script I use to report the custom names. Maybe it will give you an idea of what you're looking at.
Code:
nvram get custom_clientlist | sed 's/</\n/g; s/>/\t/g' | sed 's/^/custom\t/' | tail '+2' | sed 's/\(^.*\)\(\t.*\)\(\t[0-9A-F][0-9A-F]:.*$\)/\1\3\2/'

how to change only 1 custom device name?
nvram set custom_clientlist= ????

Save a copy for backup and another for editing
Code:
nvram get custom_clientlist > custom_clientlist.backup
nvram get custom_clientlist > custom_clientlist.edit
The format is the following, repeated with no spaces
Code:
<Name>EthernetAddress>0>0>>
It is all one line and you cannot have any typos
Edit it with your preferred editor
Code:
vi custom_clientlist.edit
Update the NVRAM variable and commit
Code:
nvram set custom_clientlist=$(cat custom_clientlist.edit)
nvram commit

Some added complexity:
The last number in the format above is not necessarily zero. It represents the device type. The following are the device types in use on my router:
Code:
35 Laptop
2  Switch
19 Printer
21 iPad
10 iPhone