What's new

Anyone Getting over 2G on the 2.5G WAN port of RT-AX86U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Likely a compatibility issue. You should really test a different router to make sure theres not something funky going on with the AX86U platform. XB8 is a BCM3390 DOCSIS platform tied to 3x BCM6715 Gen 2 4x4 radios. Don't see any alt CPU in unit, granted the 6715's have their own A7's for wireless processing..

Sounds like packets are dropping when translating to alt bridge hardware, but I could be wrong. The issue likely has nothing to do with your ASUS HW.

Last edited:
Just wanted to add a positive data point to this discussion, as I read it a few days ago before upgrading my plan from 1000/100 to 2000/200 (I also have the AX86U) and feeling a bit discouraged.
The setup I have is the ISP’s ONT (provided for free) 2.5GbE port connected to the AX86U 2.5GbE WAN, and then I connected both LAN 1 and LAN 2 on the Asus to a 6 port switch I have (all ports are 2.5GbE) and enabled link aggregation on the Asus and LACP on the two ports on the switch.
Now I effectively have 4 ports on the switch that can use 2Gbit speed, and I consistently get 1900/200 when checking on speedtest.net with a wired mini PC that has 2.5GbE ethernet connection.
When I do a speed test using the internal Asus page (to the exact same server) I never pass 1200 download, so it really is just limited by the CPU when testing, but not when routing.
So my conclusion is, if you care about a single client using 2Gbit speed with the AX86U, this seems like the only way.

Just wanted to add a positive data point to this discussion, as I read it a few days ago before upgrading my plan from 1000/100 to 2000/200 (I also have the AX86U) and feeling a bit discouraged.
The setup I have is the ISP’s ONT (provided for free) 2.5GbE port connected to the AX86U 2.5GbE WAN, and then I connected both LAN 1 and LAN 2 on the Asus to a 6 port switch I have (all ports are 2.5GbE) and enabled link aggregation on the Asus and LACP on the two ports on the switch.
Now I effectively have 4 ports on the switch that can use 2Gbit speed, and I consistently get 1900/200 when checking on speedtest.net with a wired mini PC that has 2.5GbE ethernet connection.
When I do a speed test using the internal Asus page (to the exact same server) I never pass 1200 download, so it really is just limited by the CPU when testing, but not when routing.
So my conclusion is, if you care about a single client using 2Gbit speed with the AX86U, this seems like the only way.
Thanks for the info.. Interesting way of doing it...I thought about playing with WAN Aggregation. I've been hoping that updating the AX86U to the latest Firmware would have helped, but alas, not. I did re-test the 2.5G port on the Modem (Comcast XB8). Connected it directly to a PC with a 2.5G ethernet and was able to confirm that the Service provider and Modem can indeed provide the 2G service. I'm seriously thinking of upgrading my AX86U....Thinking about the BE-7200 (WiFi 7 with 10G WAN port). Currently seeing it around $399 USD.. Hoping I can catch it on-sale.