What's new

Anyone have successfully installed a wirelesss mpci to pci adapter?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jumbojin

New Around Here
I tried to do a search but I all found was questions with no answer.

I got a spare Intel Centrino 1000 and 6300, in working condition on 3 OS I be testing on my laptop.
So I decided to grab myself an MP2H and play with it.

My test desktop motherboard is using a gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5, bios F9C.

I'm using Windows XP SP3 x86, Windows 7 SP1 x64, Ubuntu 11.04 x86.
Full Intel Drivers and software are 14.1.1.3

For Ubuntu, I just use the preloaded drivers that worked out of the fresh install.

So far, I'm pretty unsuccessful with all 3 OS.

I tried a couple of ways to install the Intel drivers on the windows platform.

Test 1: Installed the drivers before installing the MP2.
Windows XP: Refused to boot, even on safe mode with networking. But safe mode works.
Windows 7: This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)
Ubuntu: (System very unresponsive) Every time I do something with it. Not listed in lspci but shows up in iwconfig. Odd

Test 2: Install drivers after installing MP2.
Windows XP: (System very unresponsive) Code 10, Device not designed for this platform
Windows 7: (System very unresponsive) Code 31

The lights on MP2 is D2 Green is lit so it is powered on but D1 Yellow is off (No activity).

I hopefully someone can provide some insight on something I'm overlooking or something. Or Bad news. :)

Some progress:

Anyways ... I tried using older version of the drivers, and have gotten some better success.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find older than 13.0 at the moment.

So far using driver below 14, the drivers found the wireless adapter and installed successfully.

Windows 7 x64: The device driver loaded successfully. But Network adapter not found via Network Manager.

Windows XP x86: Code 10 but at least it is able to boot up.

So after a month of trial and error.

I figured out why it didn't work. I kinda wished hwtool placed this disclaimer on their product compatibility as well, instead it was noted in their wireless card section of purchase. Noticeable if you going to purchase a separate wireless card from them. And would of save me a couple of weeks of effort.

I discovered it while swapping different vendors of different series.

Intel wireless modules are not guaranteed to work on non-Intel chipsets.
Even with Intel CPU with Nvidia chipsets.
Or Intel CPU whose Intel chipset is older than 94x/96x
. (I think this would make those later than the Intel Wifi 4xxx would not work)

And I'm testing them on an AMD CPU with an Nvidia chipset ...:rolleyes:

I tested Intel Wifi 1000, 5300, 6200, 6230, 6250, 6300. All of them gave a D1 BSOD upon installing their respective drivers, pretty much regardless which slot I put them in anyways.

However, they do work on my C2D Desktop with the MP2, which of course has an Intel Chipset later than 965.

The following test cards that did work on my AMD test:
(Which pretty much all the Non Intels I have on hand)
Broadcom BCM4313
Broadcom BCM4322
Atheros AR9485GN

So when using a mpcie to pcie adaptor, it is still a risky upgrade ...
Results are varied by motherboard vendor and their implementation.
Should be somewhat consistent especially with other venders of the mpcie to pcie since it is basically a 1 to 1 adaptation.

Also Note (For those who didn't know or unaware):
You can fit and run an x1 card into an x1, x8, x16 slot.
Same goes for an x8 card can fit into an x8, x16 slot.

Feel free to post your experiences. It helps enlighten those who are planning to do such a thing.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!