What's new

Anyone with an RT-AX88U having issues with ExpressVPN?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I am also running into a problem with expressvpn which is also speed. I'm seeing max speed of ~150Mbps. When I run a wireless speedtest, I see core 1 ramp to around 25% and core 2 to 99%. It appears this is maxing the process on a core out.

How can I get faster speeds on an RT-AX88U? I've verified when running the client on my iphone it runs faster. I've tried to change the Auth digest down from SHA512 but then it can't connect. I'm wondering if ~150Mbps is just the max I can expect with this router? Running Merlin 388.2_2

I am also running into a problem with expressvpn which is also speed. I'm seeing max speed of ~150Mbps. When I run a wireless speedtest, I see core 1 ramp to around 25% and core 2 to 99%. It appears this is maxing the process on a core out.

How can I get faster speeds on an RT-AX88U? I've verified when running the client on my iphone it runs faster. I've tried to change the Auth digest down from SHA512 but then it can't connect. I'm wondering if ~150Mbps is just the max I can expect with this router? Running Merlin 388.2_2
Lots of variables to consider... here's a few to ponder:
  • Speed of your internet connection
  • Traffic consuming your internet connection
  • Load of currently connected-to VPN server
  • Distance from your router to said ExpressVPN server
  • CPU/load on your router
There may be some I'm leaving off... but just for comparison-sake, I'm connecting to a NordVPN server on a GT-AX6000 about 500mi away on a 1Gbps internet connection, and I'm getting about 185Mbps. The server has a 23% load on it right now from me and other consumers. In the end, it typically comes down to the CPU hitting a wall on your router... and don't think it theoretically can get much faster than 250Mps or so, if my memory serves me right. The way to break this barrier would be to run a VPN gateway using a PC or other appliance.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!