What's new

Anywhere Access setup problems SE2012R2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dave Jolly

New Around Here
I need some help understanding what I am up against in trying to install Anywhere Access for my vet hospital in SE2012R2, with multiple error messages generated. The forums and posts are quite confusing from a variety of sources. I'm an amateur, although doing pretty well with this stuff from a strictly seat of my pants approach. I set up our current peer to peer network using 12 computers and a variety of builds without anything but Dr. Google for help, but it is just not robust enough for our growing needs, and my networking experience is definitely not robust enough to understand what I need to do.

I need an overview that takes nothing for granted about what an amateur knows, and I was hoping you could provide me a short "how to" for this process and how best to go about it. The Microsoft instructions say very little about SSL certificates and setting up that whole process, and then I read posts that go into very detailed instructions on doing just that. So, I don't even know what I need to do with SSL certificates or if they are done for you as part of the domain setup through Microsoft.

The Microsoft folks just act like you press a few buttons and the wizard does everything for you. When I did that the first time, it of course tanked and I went to manual router set up, configuring ports 80 and 443 as instructed, did manual reservations for the server and client computers, and set up a domain using the free Microsoft deal they offer. Still no luck - "router if blocked, you may have multiple routers, UnPP is not enabled etc." No matter what I do I still get the messages.

So, I am more than a bit lost on how to proceed. Is there an overall, detailed post or manual for a relative amateur I might refer to? Thanks for an help.

I need some help understanding what I am up against in trying to install Anywhere Access for my vet hospital in SE2012R2, with multiple error messages generated. The forums and posts are quite confusing from a variety of sources. I'm an amateur, although doing pretty well with this stuff from a strictly seat of my pants approach. I set up our current peer to peer network using 12 computers and a variety of builds without anything but Dr. Google for help, but it is just not robust enough for our growing needs, and my networking experience is definitely not robust enough to understand what I need to do.

I need an overview that takes nothing for granted about what an amateur knows, and I was hoping you could provide me a short "how to" for this process and how best to go about it. The Microsoft instructions say very little about SSL certificates and setting up that whole process, and then I read posts that go into very detailed instructions on doing just that. So, I don't even know what I need to do with SSL certificates or if they are done for you as part of the domain setup through Microsoft.

The Microsoft folks just act like you press a few buttons and the wizard does everything for you. When I did that the first time, it of course tanked and I went to manual router set up, configuring ports 80 and 443 as instructed, did manual reservations for the server and client computers, and set up a domain using the free Microsoft deal they offer. Still no luck - "router if blocked, you may have multiple routers, UnPP is not enabled etc." No matter what I do I still get the messages.

So, I am more than a bit lost on how to proceed. Is there an overall, detailed post or manual for a relative amateur I might refer to? Thanks for an help.
If you are running a professional vet clinic and you need security and features my advice is get a pro to work on your network because it gets very complicated and you should take care of your business and leave that to an Admin. The last thing you need is some guru kid that is waiting for his cat and is board and in the meantime decides to hack your network and gets in because you messed up on a few configs :p that will not be funny.
This is why Microsoft makes things hard otherwise we wouldn't need any certified network administrators :)

I appreciate your advice and understand completely about the malicious hacking issues. I had supposedly Microsoft certified network tech in on Monday to set things up and within 2 hours he had completely crashed the new SE2012 system, just as we were opening. Everything was set up and running well other than Anywhere Access. I had to do an emergency transfer back t the old peer to peer network on the fly in the middle of a busy morning, re-connect the clients, do shortcuts, install printer etc etc. Needless to say I am a little soured on the "experts" at this point. But you do offer good advice and knowledgeable people with malicious intent can certainly do a lot of damage.

I appreciate your advice and understand completely about the malicious hacking issues. I had supposedly Microsoft certified network tech in on Monday to set things up and within 2 hours he had completely crashed the new SE2012 system, just as we were opening. Everything was set up and running well other than Anywhere Access. I had to do an emergency transfer back t the old peer to peer network on the fly in the middle of a busy morning, re-connect the clients, do shortcuts, install printer etc etc. Needless to say I am a little soured on the "experts" at this point. But you do offer good advice and knowledgeable people with malicious intent can certainly do a lot of damage.
My buddy works for a dental service where they take care of all the networks.
I am sure there are such companies that are specialized for vets as they are for dental clinics.
They support everything including the software and backups etc.
There are good techs out there and crappy ones. just get a good one from a referral
there is no reason that a certified tech cant handle your task.