What's new

AP Roaming & Mixed WPA2 Modes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

As I mentioned earlier, if you put inSSIDer on your phone or tablet, you'll pickup the common SSID you're using across all APs and routers if you have it set on group by ESSID. It should only be listed once since all signals will be aggregated into one. After selecting it, go to the next Tab labeled Details, and it will show you a real time chart of each individual AP, or router's, strength by db. As you walk around the house, you'll see where any of the signals meet, and what the strength of each signal is when they meet. If they meet where the db is stronger than it should be, you'll at least know which ones need to be placed further apart. You can keep doing this until the chart shows that the signals aren't crossing, and staying together lower then -60db or so. Like someone else mentioned, if the signals from both are high in the same spot, your phone, tablet, laptop, etc won't switch from one signal to another. If you have time to do this, you'll find the most optimal place for each router so it'll be easier to automatically switch signals. It's kind of like driving down the interstate using your phone, but your phone won't switch from the tower you just passed to the one approaching, thus resulting in a dropped call, but when your signal refreshes, it'll connect to the stronger tower.

I'm using the same SSID on my router and my AP, but I'm using a different SSID on the 5Ghz signal than the 2.4Ghz signal, but the 5Ghz SSID is still the same on the AP and the router. This is just so I know which band I'm connecting to when I setup a wireless media streamer or something. It'll work better on the 5Ghz channel since you can only connect using wireless AC at 5Ghz.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!