What's new

Appalled at AX-5400 gamer WHAT THE!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Don Matteson

Occasional Visitor
IF you do not have a smart phone your screwed if you want to set this router up. the normal expectations are gone. No place in the 192.168.1.1 setup will you find a place that says WIFI password for 2.5 g or 5 g I looked for more than 1 hour at all the menus on this router and there was nothing presenting itself about wifi password login. SIMPLE thing SIMPLE THING to setup. The instructions need to be about 2000 pages to explain all that this router does, yet NOTHING but a few pages and those few pages did not saying how to set it up. Nothing on youtube nothing on google nothing anywhere. ASUS only offers a few pages of instructions for this router. I looked everywhere.

Last edited:
IF you do not have a smart phone your screwed if you want to set this router up. the normal expectations are gone. No place in the 192.168.1.1 setup will you find a place that says WIFI password for 2.5 g or 5 g I looked for more than 1 hour at all the menus on this router and there was nothing presenting itself about wifi password login. SIMPLE thing SIMPLE THING to setup. The instructions need to be about 2000 pages to explain all that this router does, yet NOTHING but a few pages and those few pages did not saying how to set it up. Nothing on youtube nothing on google nothing anywhere. ASUS only offers a few pages of instructions for this router. I looked everywhere.
Did you look under WIFI? And Asus uses 192.168.50.1 as a default address.

The router broadcasts an SSID called ASUS_00, login, open browser page and a captive portal should take you to the setup. If that doesn't work, try 192.168.50.1

Also - new or used router? If used - reset to default to get the Setup Wizard on first boot.

Also - new or used router? If used - reset to default to get the Setup Wizard on first boot.
Indeed. Sounds like a router that was already configured, so it bypassed the usual Quck Internet Setup assistant which is very straightforward to use.

Ok so next time I get a refurbished router how do I get it to present me with the normal setup. My phone refused to get the Q code box so I could not access it from my phone. The Wifi, it offered a guest network. What baffles me is where is the manual that explains all the jillions of settings. ?

ASUS ROG Strix AX5400 WiFi 6 Gaming Router (GS-AX5400) - Dedicated Gaming it was an asuswrt Where do I find the manual for an asus router like this ?​

I get a refurbished router
That probably explains it all then. That router was already configured, and whoever refurbished failed doing the basic thing of doing a factory default reset before selling it.

With the router turned on just press the reset button for around 5 seconds using a paper clip until the power LED flashes, then release it. Wait for it to reboot. You will then see a new network usually called ASUS_something. It may be open, or it may be protected with a passphrase in which case it would be on the bottom sticker. Once connected to that network, access http://router.asus.com using a browser, and you will be presented with the Quick Internet Setup which is pretty intuitive to use.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!