What's new

Archer C7 V2 vs. Asus RT-N66U vs. Archer C8

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AndrewJacob

Regular Contributor
Hi guys!

I just recently moved to an apartment and need a new router because it is a very long apartment and the walls do not let the signal through very well.
To give you an idea, my D-link DIR655 is located in the living room and to reach the kitchen it must go through 2 rooms. By the time it gets there, I go from 30Mbits/s to about 3, although i have several bars of signal.
Additionally, when a few devices are connected, the router is suffering a bit with some lag in initiating connections.
So far the router is only routing to 2 iPhone 5s (2.4GHz N) and one Macbook Pro (2.4GHz N).
We will also be adding netflix 1080p by LAN wired, and another LAN wired connection to my main desktop computer.
I'm looking to get a router that won't be expensive, but I'm also looking for something that can carry a strong 2.4GHz N signal (since most of our devices are such) all the way to the other end of the apartment and be able to handle that simultaneously with the 2 wired LAN connections.
I was recently recommended an Archer C7 by someone, but I was wondering if the C8 or even the Asus N66U could be better?
What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Andrew

I have Archer C7 V2 and RT-AC56U
If we look at these two routers then C7 takes the cake. I get a much stronger signal with it.
I tried both the original firmware and openwrt on the C7 but didn't see any significant differences.
My RT-AC56U is running RMerlin fork with increased tx power