What's new

ARRIS TG862 COMCAST adding 2nd router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

WVZR-1

New Around Here
I thought I might give adding another router to the mix on my TG862 eMTA Comcast Gateway. I've read about the "Double NAT" but have seen comments from ignore to just don't do. I might prefer other equipment but this is what I have and I'd first like to work with it. I've read substantial and I seem to always end up back here to this Forum.

The TG862 is a Comcast issued eMTA and I see where it can be "bridged" but thought I'd first like to try other options so that I could maybe utilize the GIG-E ports on both or more. The TG862 is a 2.4GHz only piece of equipment.

I've got these D-Link routers (DIR-825 & DIR-857) already and I keep a 1TB USB hard drive connected to the DIR-857 for quick access to some information that is used frequently. I also would like the 5GHz that the TG862 doesn't offer.

The TG862 as configured by Comcast uses IP addresses 10.0.0.2/252 I believe with 10.0.0.1 being the configuration/maintenance address.

There's limited access to the network so I'm prepared for maybe some issues. I'm the only one that would suffer the consequences.

I don't understand the DMZ thing that I read about very well but I can learn.

I also use TiVo equipment and the DVR-1 is also capable as acting as a MoCA bridge so I thought I'd probably use that function also for the DVR's only. That I don't believe should create an issue.

Is this a "foolish" request? If so maybe I just need to be told to "move on" but it's a what I've got and what I'd like to work with first.

Thank you and I guess it's the time of year for "Happy Holidays".

Recommendation.. one home network, one router. Don't cascade routers causing "double-NAT". It's needless complexity.

Want more coverage? One router connected to one Access Point in the weak area.

You can buy a multi-purpose router/AP/Bridge - but you choose the mode among the three.

You can reconfigure any router to be an AP - but no matter the name, it's becomes an AP.

Recommendation.. one home network, one router. Don't cascade routers causing "double-NAT". It's needless complexity.

Want more coverage? One router connected to one Access Point in the weak area.

You can buy a multi-purpose router/AP/Bridge - but you choose the mode among the three.

You can reconfigure any router to be an AP - but no matter the name, it's becomes an AP.

Thank you!

So could I use both of my routers as AP using a LAN port of the Gateway to a LAN port of the DIR-XXX, assign each an IP address from the LAN pool of the Gateway then making the other 3 LAN ports available also as a switch? Is there a particular address from the pool that might be more desirable OR do I choose one NOT in the pool?

The Gateway is only 2.4GHz and both DIR-XXX are both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Would that make the 5GHz available for use also? Is there anything I need to do specifically that might be different using the mix of 2.4 & 5GHz when the Gateway has only 2.4?

If what I've mentioned should work then that likely works for me.

Last edited:
So I've tried several combinations and can't seem to actually get this RIGHT. Most combinations that I've tried from various d-link referenced sources render a "LAN subnet conflict with WLAN". I've changed the address of the d-link and renamed them to the Gateway name and then the 2.4 & the 5.0 appear and I can access/connect to them but I can't get back to the d-link router address. It seems to have accomplished at least giving me three additional GIGe LAN connections at allocation where they'll be useful BUT I'd sure like to get this right. Maybe I didn't even need to do this to use the router as a GIGe switch.

I have tried it only with the DIR-857 so far because it has the USB 3.0 port I'd like to use for the HDD. I've not checked to see if I can even see it on the network yet.

The other d-link is a DIR-825. I've had them for a long while and thought I could maybe get some further use out of them.

I seem to have this functioning and able to see the 2.4GHz of both the Gateway and the D-Link and also the 5GHZ on the D-Link. I had some difficulties it seems getting the IP address change to "stick" when changing it in the D-Link. There's options when doing the setup to either "reboot now" or "reboot later" and if you don't have a plan before hand it seems that a delay when making changes will create issues.

When I launch a Lenovo WiFi tool I get my "named" SSID with a drop-down that displays both MAC ID's. I have one machine that seems to like the D-Link for connection but others seem to like the Gateway. The Lenovo tool shows the Gateway at 95% and the D-Link at 88% when I use the most centralized device.

I'm able to login on the device page for both the Gateway and the D-Link.

If I didn't already have the various pieces I certainly would likely have done it differently but if this works well I'm certainly happy. I'm generally the only user so if there's issues I'll be the one to experience it.

If the Gateway hadn't have actually been an eMTA I might not have even attempted this but the eMTA fees/rental were waved by the provider so I had nothing to lose.

I will likely still do a separate D3 Internet modem, a separate telephony modem and then my own routers. This is my first experience with voice so who knows.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!