What's new

ASSUS RT-AC66U crashes about once per day

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Zn3

New Around Here
So about once per day I notice a small interruption on my router (AC66U).
I'm running the latest Merlin FW: 3.0.0.4.376.49_5

I've seen this rc_service a lot of times in other threads but can't relate to my problem. I know it's nothing to do with the Merlin build because I had it earlier with latest ASUS build aswell so I did a factory reset and updated to the latest Merlin build just a week ago but the problem still exists.

This is all that is shown from the System Log when this problem occurs.

Code:
Feb  3 00:08:49 rc_service: ntp 521:notify_rc restart_upnp
Feb  3 00:08:49 rc_service: ntp 521:notify_rc restart_diskmon
Feb  3 00:08:49 rc_service: waitting "restart_upnp" via ntp ...
Feb  3 00:08:49 miniupnpd[518]: shutting down MiniUPnPd
Feb  3 00:08:49 miniupnpd[555]: HTTP listening on port 59590
Feb  3 00:08:49 miniupnpd[555]: Listening for NAT-PMP/PCP traffic on port 5351
Feb  3 00:08:49 disk monitor: be idle
Feb  3 00:09:47 crond[359]: time disparity of 2151308 minutes detected

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

I've seen this rc_service a lot of times in other threads but can't relate to my problem. I know it's nothing to do with the Merlin build because I had it earlier with latest ASUS build aswell so I did a factory reset and updated to the latest Merlin build just a week ago but the problem still exists.

Code:

Thanks in advance

I see the same exact thing in the log of my AC66 which is set up as a Repeater; I do not see it in the AC66U that I'm using as a wireless Router. I was formerly using the most current versions of Merlin FW (378.50) but reverted all the way back to 374.43 since that version has given me the best wireless throughput, speed and range of any Merlin or stock FW version I've use. Interestingly, the only time I EVER had anything close to an "interruption" (and by that I don't know if you mean a spontaneous reboot, or just where routing and wireless come to a temporary halt), was when I was using the same version of Merlin's that you're now using (376.49_5), and oddly that is also when I first saw the same messages in my service log that you've also posted above. For whatever reason, I still get that message in my AC66U set as a Repeater, even though I've downgraded the firmware, but I do not see it in my AC66U Router log. And strangely, other than when using 376.49_5, I had never before experienced any "interruptions" at all, and since downgrading FW have not experienced anything like that either. I do not use a USB drive so the next to last line doesn't seem to appear in my logs. But I get the rest of what you've posted, and again only in the AC66U Repeater.

I think the "crond" time disparity may be the crux of the "interruption" issue, and I believe there are other threads in the forums here dealing with what others have experienced, i.e., an inability to reach the NTP default server to update and correct this discrepancy. You might search around for those messages to see if there's anything relevant to your particular "interruptions".

Last edited:
I see the same exact thing in the log of my AC66 which is set up as a Repeater; I do not see it in the AC66U that I'm using as a wireless Router. I was formerly using the most current versions of Merlin FW (378.50) but reverted all the way back to 374.43 since that version has given me the best wireless throughput, speed and range of any Merlin or stock FW version I've use. Interestingly, the only time I EVER had anything close to an "interruption" (and by that I don't know if you mean a spontaneous reboot, or just where routing and wireless come to a temporary halt), was when I was using the same version of Merlin's that you're now using (376.49_5), and oddly that is also when I first saw the same messages in my service log that you've also posted above. For whatever reason, I still get that message in my AC66U set as a Repeater, even though I've downgraded the firmware, but I do not see it in my AC66U Router log. And strangely, other than when using 376.49_5, I had never before experienced any "interruptions" at all, and since downgrading FW have not experienced anything like that either. I do not use a USB drive so the next to last line doesn't seem to appear in my logs. But I get the rest of what you've posted, and again only in the AC66U Repeater.

I think the "crond" time disparity may be the crux of the "interruption" issue, and I believe there are other threads in the forums here dealing with what others have experienced, i.e., an inability to reach the NTP default server to update and correct this discrepancy. You might search around for those messages to see if there's anything relevant to your particular "interruptions".

With interruption I mean that it reboots. I loose connectivity for about 1-2 minutes or so which is very annoying sometimes in the middle of something important. So you had these logs in your repeater, but do you know if clients connected to the repeater lost connectivity as well?

Thanks I will take a look into the "crond" problem and see if I can solve it somehow. Maybe downgrading to your version also.

With interruption I mean that it reboots. I loose connectivity for about 1-2 minutes or so which is very annoying sometimes in the middle of something important. So you had these logs in your repeater, but do you know if clients connected to the repeater lost connectivity as well?

Thanks I will take a look into the "crond" problem and see if I can solve it somehow. Maybe downgrading to your version also.

Keep in mind that the version I'm using doesn't contain all of the current security fixes that Asus and Merlin have implemented, including the latest stuff regarding the Infosrv local LAN security hole (described here by R. Merlin). Frankly, I'm not terribly concerned about a local LAN issue, and I don't use any of the USB or VPN utilities, I don't open any Upnp ports on the WAN (and in fact I've turned off upnp entirely) so I'm also not concerned about those other issues that have impacted people who do use VPN, USB-connected drives with ports open to the WAN, etc. Maybe I should be concerned about security issues, but those that I've read about that were discovered after 376.43 do not seem to be the type of issues that would cause me any problems. Maybe this is foolish of me, but for years and years, I ran my home network without any security or encryption, with wireless running wide-open (that was, admittedly during the early to mid-2000's) and I don't think I'm any worse for it. Now I run encrypted, don't open ports to the WAN, don't use VPN or FTP servers, have not enabled WAN access to the GUI, etc..

In any event, I now understand that you mean "reboots" and I'm glad to say I've never experienced that with either of my RT-66U's, regardless of firmware I've used. I guess I've been lucky.

Last edited:

Code:

Thanks in advance

I see similar entries, but mine 'seem' to be related to some sort of WAN connection loss or something. I'll have to keep an eye on it.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!