What's new

ASUS 66U poor wireless speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DReborn

Occasional Visitor
RT-N66U (Dark Knight) poor wireless speeds

Hi there, I know this is a common question so I have tried to do my homework however I couldn't find the exact answers I was looking for.

I just moved to a new large condo building (10 floors, lots of units, etc) and as you can imagine, there are LOTS of wifi networks. Place is jammed.

I have a great Time Warner Cable plan that gives me (via speedtest.net) 300mb down/20mb up (WIRED into my desktop). A room away my iPhone (2.4ghz) gets barely 5mb down/.5mb up via speedtest app. It's fairly annoying.

Questions:

1. Do I get a range expander? will that even help?
2. Powerline is fine for my wired gear but not for my laptop/iphone
3. Should I upgrade to the latest and greatest AC routers? Will that even help on the 2.4ghz network?

I have tried every wireless channel. I am using the 20mhz bandwidth.

thank you!!

Last edited:
Go in to WiFi, pro settings and disable pretty much everything.

Look for.posts under my name and about ten posts back I posted screen shot settings. Give them a try.

What is the connection rate your phone is connected at?

range extenders are always a bad idea, they take up 50% of your bandwidth

Look for.posts under my name and about ten posts back I posted screen shot settings. Give them a try.

appreciate the advice! I can't seem to find the post you are referring to...do you remember the subject?

thanks

Those are 2.4GHZ settings. Do you have 5.0GHZ settings?

What kind of perfomance did you notice when you changed all your settings to this? A lot of mine are enabled. What is the purpose of them anyway? Thx

Depends on a client, anywhere from 0-5MB/s.

Some settings are for comparability for older devices and some for newer that support it. I've tested the settings with various laptops and WiFi cards, as well as phones. The settings I use work best for me and should for everyone else.

Give it a go and let us know.

Just wanted to make sure this was somewhat normal for my situation...

I've attached speed tests for my

1) wired desktop (fast!)
2) iphone 5S on 2.4 (slow)
3) laptop on 5.4 (in the middle)

note, laptop on the 2.4 has similar speeds as on the 5.4. both the laptop and the iphone were tested right next to the router.

Does anyone get near the full speed of the wired connection? thanks!

Attachments

• desktop speed.jpg
    desktop speed.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 575
  • iphone speed.jpg
    iphone speed.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 568
  • laptop 5ghz.jpg
    laptop 5ghz.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 315
Best case depends on the client's and the router's capabilities and whether or not the client device is plugged into AC power or not.

What specific equipment do you have?

Even with wired 1GB Ethernet ports you'll be hitting ~113MB/s max for big files, with smaller files it will be even less and especially with the overhead hit that wireless takes on small file throughput.

Will setting Wireless mode to AUTO, Channel Bandwidth to 80, have any adverse effects if all my clients are N and not AC?

essentially i have a wireless HTPC 15 ft from my router and on speedtest.net it only gets 10-15mb down whereas the wired desktop gets 310mb down.

would a new router help me get faster internet connection from the HTPC?

the htpc does NOT have AC card. was going to wait for the new mac mini with the AC upgrade...