What's new

Asus 87r NAT questions.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rollett

New Around Here
So I know my way around a network... But for the life of me I can not get this router to switch PS4/360/XB1 to Open NAT type. I have tried port forwarding and even static IP and placing the IP in the DMZ. Still can not get the router to budge from Type 2 or even Strict.

I wanted the new features of a high end router but if its not going to allow online gaming with out problems, it just won't work for me. I have been lurking the forums for a couple days now to try and get the router tweaked and set to Open NAT for these devices but so far I have had zero luck so off to make a account and try and get some help this way. I really want to like the router but so far its the second AC router I have had major issues with the first was a Nighthawk by Netgear that when under load would make popping and fizzing sounds and eventually over load over moderate stress.

Last edited:
On the Xbox One, make sure that the Power Save option is ON. I've seen where the Xbox One is in Instant-On mode, UPnP does not register properly with your router. Enabling Power Save fixes it. The second I put my step-son's Xbox 360 on our network is when I noticed this happening, which seems common for one of the two consoles to not have an Open NAT. Mine is Open, while his is Moderate. In testing it, he is able to play online and do everything still, so we're able to co-exist and get our fix when needed.

Yeah I guess I am just torn on if I should keep the router or move on.... lol really I guess there is not much choice out there other then downgrading from here.

Edit: Had some good progress today, tweaking more settings i got great stability out of it and have static IP's set for consoles which seem to have fixed most of the issues with that.

But one thing I am not understanding is the DMZ function on the router is not functioning at all, if i give devices a static IP and then drop them in the DMZ it should show an open NAT. This is not the case with this router in fact nothing even changes.

Last edited:
On the Xbox One, make sure that the Power Save option is ON. I've seen where the Xbox One is in Instant-On mode, UPnP does not register properly with your router. Enabling Power Save fixes it. The second I put my step-son's Xbox 360 on our network is when I noticed this happening, which seems common for one of the two consoles to not have an Open NAT. Mine is Open, while his is Moderate. In testing it, he is able to play online and do everything still, so we're able to co-exist and get our fix when needed.

I hope people have made MS aware of this issue with the xbox one, via their feedback page so it gets fixed

Yeah that was 100% the issue with the Xbox One, and I also gained massive stability and performance gains by issuing static IP's to all the consoles. Think I will gamble and keep the router.

I hope people have made MS aware of this issue with the xbox one, via their feedback page so it gets fixed

I know when I was troubleshooting it, I landed on a long thread over at the MS Xbox Live Community Forums, where MS Forum Mods were replying about in that post, and I did submit my feedback at the time for it. I hope submit feedback as well.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online