What's new

Asus ac3200 vpn question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mikeysnb

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys I have just purchased an ac3200 and would like to use this as my main router i will be setting up ipvanish on the router but I have a question I cannot find an answer to. I have never used a vpn service before and obviously never set one up on a router. So my question is if I were to set up the vpn on the router could I make exclusions for say my ps4 so that my gaming isn't affected, or could I set up the vpn on just one of the 5ghz bands and leave the others unaffected?
This would be regarding stock firmware or merlin
Many thanks, mike

Not with the stock firmware, but my firmware supports policy-based routing, so you can include (or exclude) specific devices by their IP.

Hi guys I have just purchased an ac3200 and would like to use this as my main router i will be setting up ipvanish on the router but I have a question I cannot find an answer to. I have never used a vpn service before and obviously never set one up on a router. So my question is if I were to set up the vpn on the router could I make exclusions for say my ps4 so that my gaming isn't affected, or could I set up the vpn on just one of the 5ghz bands and leave the others unaffected?
This would be regarding stock firmware or merlin
Many thanks, mike
Hi Mike! How easy is the ipvanish openvpn to set up on your router? I'm on VyperVPN and I'm having a heck of a time trying to get the openVPN client to set up?

Router arrives today I'll let you know.
Well that was easy I just followed their guide for tomato found here
https://www.ipvanish.com/vpn-setup/#tomato
Got it set up and working first try
As for how are ipvanish, a lot better than I was even hoping for, speeds are within 5-10% and ping is maybe 1-2 higher can't believe how fast it is.

Only question I have now is, is there an easier way to swap between their servers if i need to.

Well that was easy I just followed their guide for tomato found here
https://www.ipvanish.com/vpn-setup/#tomato
Got it set up and working first try
As for how are ipvanish, a lot better than I was even hoping for, speeds are within 5-10% and ping is maybe 1-2 higher can't believe how fast it is.

Only question I have now is, is there an easier way to swap between their servers if i need to.
Thanks for the update. Are you still on stock or did you switch to Merlin?