What's new

Asus AIMesh Newb

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

*feeling stupid* - Didn't realize there was a wifi on/off switch *lol*

So, turned wifi on, still isn't finding it as a node but I'll try the same steps again and see :)

I have just finished my attic as a home theater, ran ethernet cable between all floors so I can run wired and wireless for streaming as needed. If this router is kaput I'll put the basement one up there for now and see how that works and see if I can RMA the problem one.

Thank you all so much for your help and keeping me sane..!

So, the last 86U WiFi is now on and you have reset it before trying to add it? A WiFi Analyzer is handy for seeing all signals around you to know that a router is broadcasting on both bands... a reset/unconfigured 86U will broadcast two default WiFi SSIDs with no security active, so you can see that the new node is healthy and ready to add to the AiMesh.

The attic sounds ready! A node there will support both wired and wireless clients. I wonder if wiring any wired clients directly down to the site router would help offload the node wired backhaul, if advantageous(?).

Given you will have an all 86U AiMesh, see my install notes for a baseline configuration... it suggests the basic settings. I would start with Smart Connect enabled and the same SSID for both bands.

OE

Last edited:
Just wanted to say thanks again and post a quick update. I have requested an RMA on the "bad" router, it simply will not appear as a node no matter what. It is odd, after a reset it shows as a new router but no matter what I try it will not appear as a node (or show the AIMesh icon if it is the primary).

The other two seem to be working fine, primary with a node connected via a switch to my attic :)

Just wanted to say thanks again and post a quick update. I have requested an RMA on the "bad" router, it simply will not appear as a node no matter what. It is odd, after a reset it shows as a new router but no matter what I try it will not appear as a node (or show the AIMesh icon if it is the primary).

The other two seem to be working fine, primary with a node connected via a switch to my attic :)

Confirm that your node Connection Type is using Ethernet, in case the switch is interfering with auto detection... some do.

OE

Confirm that your node Connection Type is using Ethernet, in case the switch is interfering with auto detection... some do.

OE
I tried them side by side, direct connection (even tried different cables) - didn't show up via wireless or wired. I'm not sure how to set the connection type - do you mean on the router or node? I did try setting the node up as repeater and as an access point but it didn't go so well, if it will not work as AIMesh I'd rather get it replaced. I'm going to replace/refund it, I've also ordered a couple of other routers to try, a 66 and a Blue Cave.

I tried them side by side, direct connection (even tried different cables) - didn't show up via wireless or wired. I'm not sure how to set the connection type - do you mean on the router or node? I did try setting the node up as repeater and as an access point but it didn't go so well, if it will not work as AIMesh I'd rather get it replaced. I'm going to replace/refund it, I've also ordered a couple of other routers to try, a 66 and a Blue Cave.

Yes, replace the bad router.

Connection Type is a node property accessible from the router webUI... select the node and More Config. If it does not list wired or Ethernet (because of the switch), then force the Connection Priority to Ethernet (because it's wired).

The AC1900/AC68/AC66 B1 routers do not support Smart Connect node band steering, so using one of those may/will force you to define separate SSIDs for each band. I'd avoid this.

The Blue Cave is nothing special.

The 86U is the value performance choice. Three 86Us will cover a very large area.

OE

Well, still perplexed.... the *bad* 86U has been returned, I now have the other two 86U's running as router/node quite happily, today I got two Blue Cave routers and a 66U (I thin it is). What is odd is the router will not fins any of these as AiMesh node candidates, I have reset them, I've updated the firmware, tried wired and wireless, nada... nothing.

Any ideas on why potential (reset) routers would not be discovered as AiMesh nodes?

Well, still perplexed.... the *bad* 86U has been returned, I now have the other two 86U's running as router/node quite happily, today I got two Blue Cave routers and a 66U (I thin it is). What is odd is the router will not fins any of these as AiMesh node candidates, I have reset them, I've updated the firmware, tried wired and wireless, nada... nothing.

Any ideas on why potential (reset) routers would not be discovered as AiMesh nodes?

If you can't get them to work with either 86U, return 'em and get another 86U or two.

OE

If you can't get them to work with either 86U, return 'em and get another 86U or two.

OE

Just seems so odd that three routers could be "bad" - seems much more likely the Merlin 86U is this issue no? Do you think it's work erasing everything again and trying with base Asus firmware?

Just seems so odd that three routers could be "bad" - seems much more likely the Merlin 86U is this issue no? Do you think it's work erasing everything again and trying with base Asus firmware?

Given it's not working yet, yes. I would have stayed with stock firmware until the system was operating as advertised before experimenting with firmware.

1. Current stock firmware for all.
2. WebUI factory default reset w/initialization for all.
3. Cycle power for all.
4. Minimal router configuration from scratch.
5. Add reset nodes, one at a time with others turned OFF.
6. Deploy nodes.
7. Use it for awhile to see how it runs.

Do you really need five routers? Less radios and all 86Us could be better...

OE

Last edited: