What's new

Asus AX88U Pro router reset puts it into rescue, only shows power + 5ghz button, no luck despite succesfull rescue restoration

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Marcus Yansen

Regular Contributor
Hi,

AX88U Pro Router was on official asus firmware and not on Merlin firmware.

I added several urls to the block list on the router. I then reset the router using the web gui, when router reset, only the powerlight and 5ghz radio lights came on. nothing else. But I could not see the network despite the 5ghz light being bck on. Tried connecting directly to computer via ethernet no luck. reboot it no change.

Tried resettting the router a few times - that put it into rescue mode.

I was, however, able to succesfully restore the router's firmware 3 times from rescue mode using the Asus Restoration utility, despite the success, the router, once it reboots, only displays the power light and 5 ghz light - nothing else. Resetting it takes me back to step 1 (i.e., rescue mode). No internet connectivity, and I see no network despite the 5 ghz light or connecting via ethernet.

I am going to RMA it, unless anyone had any thoughts.

Thank

Before doing RMA, try a hard reset.

1. Turn the router off.
2. Press and hold the "WPS" button and turn the router on.
3. Power light is on (keep holding the WPS button).
4. Release the WPS button after the power light is off.
5. Reboot your router by manually pressing the power button.

I thought Hard Reset works by holding a pin on the RESET button - that's what I did - I held the pin on the reset button, turned router on...
To be clear the AX88U Pro also has a dedicated reset button - so is the WPS button still relevant for resets?

I thought Hard Reset works by holding a pin on the RESET button - that's what I did - I held the pin on the reset button, turned router on...
To be clear the AX88U Pro also has a dedicated reset button - so is the WPS button still relevant for resets?
Yes. But check that the reset button is not stuck. Then do the recommended hard reset procedure above.

Also, while the Rescue/Firmware Restoration in this case was probably not necessary as reset through WPS would resolved the issue, this is how I did the Firmware Restoration/Rescue:

1. This first step is not necessary as it also worked with out it, but then I applied it, and it ensured that the process would work all the time: Set computer DHCP to 192.168.1.10 and SUBNET mask to 255.255.255.0
2. Turn router off, plug in the computer to one of router's LAN ports.
3. Hold PIN on reset button.
4. Power router on while holding pin on reset button, power light will turn on, then after a bit it will turn off (and back on in a blinking fashing), once it turns off you can take slowly off the pin though....(no need to rush here there is no sensitivity I believe as to when to take the pin off when the power light turns off)
5. Now with the reset button released (pin taken off of it) you should now see router button blinking solid white somewhat slowly....
6. On your computer, now simply use the firmware restoration utility, browse for the firmware file and press upload. feel free to press upload again if it doesn't find the ip/router the first time...an dthat's that.

Anyway i probably didn't even need to do this, hard reste through WPS button should have resolved issue.

I haven't owned one in over a decade but that is how Linksys does (or did) it. I remember because I only have one decent hand due to cerebral palsy so plugging it in while holding down the reset button was a real party trick! Glad to hear it is working again.

Also, while the Rescue/Firmware Restoration in this case was probably not necessary as reset through WPS would resolved the issue, this is how I did the Firmware Restoration/Rescue:

1. This first step is not necessary as it also worked with out it, but then I applied it, and it ensured that the process would work all the time: Set computer DHCP to 192.168.1.10 and SUBNET mask to 255.255.255.0
2. Turn router off, plug in the computer to one of router's LAN ports.
3. Hold PIN on reset button.
4. Power router on while holding pin on reset button, power light will turn on, then after a bit it will turn off (and back on in a blinking fashing), once it turns off you can take slowly off the pin though....(no need to rush here there is no sensitivity I believe as to when to take the pin off when the power light turns off)
5. Now with the reset button released (pin taken off of it) you should now see router button blinking solid white somewhat slowly....
6. On your computer, now simply use the firmware restoration utility, browse for the firmware file and press upload. feel free to press upload again if it doesn't find the ip/router the first time...an dthat's that.

Anyway i probably didn't even need to do this, hard reste through WPS button should have resolved issue.
There have been instances where a Hard Factory Reset did not clear all the settings and stored data. Mainly reported on the AX86U and it has been a while since anyone reported a problem with Hard Factory Reset. Mainly the reset and initialize from the GUI works.
Glad you got it working!

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!