What's new

ASUS failed; [update - replaced]

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I actually purchased - and returned on my dime - their consumer-grade AmpliFi Alien, and stuck with the AX11000 + GT-AC5300 setup.

With that said, if anyone tries to buy Ubiquiti now... it was sold out (some is back in stock)...

A lot of it is back in stock various places but even older edgerouters and AC access points used off ebay or wherever are still highly capable devices. Though I guess you probably want to go with AX stuff, not sure what the stock status is on those right now.

A lot of it is back in stock various places but even older edgerouters and AC access points used off ebay or wherever are still highly capable devices. Though I guess you probably want to go with AX stuff, not sure what the stock status is on those right now.
I used to poo-poo AX until I got the - ironically - GT-AX11000.
I'm seeing 600Mbps to wired and wireless clients, and on my AT&T home gateway, up to 700-750Mbps (wireless)...
(I don't have anything AXE / 6Ghz yet - but I believe Ubiquiti supports it via firmware upgrade - i.e. the radios were already 6Ghz capable)

How do you get in? I've tried a bunch of button presses and could not get the router to work in recovery mode (obviously with the app running on a Windows machine... unless we're talking SSH).

I'm going to stand my ground here. They have asked pointless questions - first, about my motherboard (they sent me three motherboard questionnaires, when I have a wifi router, not a motherboard). They refused to get on the phone, or a Zoom/Teams/GoTo/whatever - absolutely refused to debug the situation live.

I pulled logs and sent to them - four times. They did nothing with it. I reset my password because supposedly the logs are password protected (didn't make sense to me).

Then, which devices are connecting (phone, computer), and am I watching YouTube, what version is Windows on my computer... and then when we both agreed it was a radio issue - or connectivity issue - after some period of time, they started asking again on sources, computers, SSID's, etc. - when I couldn't even bring up the web UI from a wired connetion.
In general, they were following a script that was not applicable to the problem.
I did not need to ssh. You need to make sure the computer has a static IP address that matches the router, so when using recovery mode, you can begin the process immediately. If not done correctly, the router will go back into a normal attempt to boot up. It does work though as I have used multiple times for recovery. I can also account that in some rare cases the recovery time may take several attempts depending how bad it is, as I nearly thought one of my ASUS routers was bricked to no return due to a bad attempt to upload 3rd party firmware (not Merlin). Just need to make sure everything is set, be patient but also quick enough with the process.

What you think is not connected or epplicable to the situation, is not always a black and white picture when working in tech. I have worked in tech, and played with networking when it was in its earliest stage of just starting to use ethernet and at the time hubs, not even switches yet. There can be a lot of troubleshooting to walk through and asking about specifications including the firmware/version of the router you have, and computer details including operating system can assist them even if you see no point. Yes some of it will feel like a scripted process but that is the starting point for support usually tier 1 and sometimes 2 depending on the levels. Based on what information they are or are not getting, that may determine further what is needed.

Also again take into account that no system integrator/oem/manufacture/etc. is flawless or perfect, but their teams usually know their equipment very well, but it can be hard to account for the customer setup and surroundings as most products are tested in a controlled enough environment. I have owned products from Linksys, Netgear, Belkin, Asus, TP Link, and a few others, and Linksys used to be the best all around, and of course were the ones to really allow 3rd party firmware. As Linksys was purchased and seemed to play 2nd fiddle, and their product portfolio shrunk, I sort of stopped purchasing so cannot speak to their Customer Service today. Netgear is a big hit or miss with their products and customer service/tech. They also do not really want you messing with firmware outside of them. Belkin, I saw as a cable and accessories company mainly, and when they got into networking, I did get a few of their draft 802.11N routers free, due to a contest where I worked at the time, and they were ok, but nothing too big to write home about. They could be problematic with firmware early on, but did improve some and now own Linksys, but I cannot be one to recommend them, as I never stuck with them to find out about their servicing. As you can see though, each brand can be hit or miss, but I will say ASUS is usually decent and they are quick to take care of customers. I have been a long time user and supporter of ASUS products starting with motherboards as that is what they are best known for, but out of all my experiences, they have been great. When I had my Asus Crosshair VI Extreme board go dead, and email support did not work after troubleshooting recommendations they made, they asked for me to send the board to them. Ultimately they tested, and could not fully duplicate my issue, but they still ended up issuing a new board to me. No issues since. When I had trouble with my RT-AC3100, that I thought I bricked, they assisted with options for recovery mode to get it back, and it worked.

The replacement model was built in 2022, and is v1.1 (versus v1), so my hopes are higher.
Something absolutely went wrong with my first one - used as a repeater.
My old RT-AC5300 does exactly what's expected (notably re-connecting to main after power outage within 5-15 seconds; I can go to 192.168.xxx.1 - main - even when WAN down - the AX11000 failed this; and the major issue of this (below) - look at link rate - and this arbitrarily happened as it lost link to the main router:

1654447855388.png

Just another point - there are other threads on this same issue. We’re not imagining things, and it’s not “dirty power… damaging our routers…”
Something is wrong with the AX11000

Just another point - there are other threads on this same issue. We’re not imagining things, and it’s not “dirty power… damaging our routers…”
Something is wrong with the AX11000
I honestly do not believe there is anything wrong with the AX11000 Asus Router. I have run it in all 3 modes, and even with power out, once back on, it would reconnect. Now early on with early firmware, it had some hit and misses, but the firmware today is fairly mature and also Merlin WRT is available, that works well with it too. The only other issues that can be, is some kind of interference such as other wifi devices, both in home and around with neighbors etc.

It can also be said that a defective device is not out of the realm, but if replaced, I cannot see the same thing happening twice, let alone 3 times. If this was such a big issue, a recall would of been issued.

I honestly do not believe there is anything wrong with the AX11000 Asus Router. I have run it in all 3 modes, and even with power out, once back on, it would reconnect. Now early on with early firmware, it had some hit and misses, but the firmware today is fairly mature and also Merlin WRT is available, that works well with it too. The only other issues that can be, is some kind of interference such as other wifi devices, both in home and around with neighbors etc.

It can also be said that a defective device is not out of the realm, but if replaced, I cannot see the same thing happening twice, let alone 3 times. If this was such a big issue, a recall would of been issued.
I have had mine since the year they released the AX11000. I have done countless upgrades. No issues yet. I have a total of 8 Asus routers at my main location. Some are "years! old", never a bricked router. I have only had to save my RT-AC5300 once from a bad flash. I was able to do that in recovery mode. My routers have ran so long, I have more than got my money back already. And if any do ever brick, I will still continue to get value from them as either a Space heater in the winter or a paper weight of some kind.