What's new

Asus PPTP VPN and Multicast

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mrc

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

Is it possible to get multicast-traffic over the PPTP VPN-solution on the Asus-routers (e.g. my Rt-AC68U).

I have a solution where my iPad will send out a request over Simple Service Discovery Protocol (a part of UPnP - sending a multicast on 239.255.255.0 port 1900, which the other device will reply to - this to give the client the DNLA-servers ip adress I guess).

When I connect the iPad over VPN from a external network, this request will not reach the device on the local network and there is no manual configuration option on the client side.

Can I somehow set up a static route for this? I first maybe thought the IPTV-feature could be used, but this only support cabled connection it seems. and not sure it even then will work over the VPN connection. The device I'm trying to reach on the "inside of the network" is also connected through wireless. Could chaning to cabled network here maybe help - anyone else tried the IPTV-feature for connecting also over VPN?

Last edited:
what settings of PPTP server on your router your use?

first that I always do - sets translation mode to Both
second - set IP addresses for VPN client in same network that LAN clients (NOT 192.168.10.1 as default, I set 192.168.1.150-192.168.1.159)

third - on VPN client sets NOT USE remote gateway as default

So far I used basicly the default settings. As for IP-range, I've used 192.168.1.2-100 for the LAN and 192.168.1.101-110 for VPN.

I could find any Transelation-mode-settings for PPTP.