What's new

Asus router as adblock/firewall server (but not acting as a router) between modem and mesh routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kenshin

New Around Here
Hi everyone,

My current setup is with 3 Asus routers with the main router with Merlin firmware. Functional-wise, I'm very happy with them but speed-wise, it's not up to the today's standard as they are quite old (68U). I have google nest wifi pro routers that I'd like to setup as a mesh to cover the house but it's not customized in anyway - feeling like I'm being jailed with google but speed-wise, they're fast.

My question: Is it possible to have one Asus router in-between a modem and these nest mesh routers acting as a adblock/firewall server to still filter unwanted packages before relaying it to the mesh ? The DHCP server will be done by the main nest mesh router and every connected devices will be within the same network-wise (i.e., same 192.168.1.x) so there is no double NAT problem.

Could anyone please give any advice on how to achieve the setup above ?

Thank you so much in advance.

Yes, you can use one Asus for Router with Wi-Fi disabled plus Google Nest for Wi-Fi only.

One of our forum buddies is using exactly this setup for quite some time:

@Viktor Jaep may share with you some tips and tricks in case you have issues setting it up.

You can read the user manual as well. Most mesh systems have Bridge Mode or Access Point Mode in settings.

You can read the user manual as well. Most mesh systems have Bridge Mode or Access Point Mode in settings.

My understanding on the google nest (and messing around with them) is that. Once it's set as a bridge mode, it will work individually and we can't get them to work as a mesh. If I just have the nest mesh right behind and Asus merlin router, there will be double NAT.

I see, Nest has limitations. Wait for the grumpy cat advice then. 🤭
If you don't mind, may I ask if all installed programs (i.e., diversion via amtm) on the main Asus merlin still works in the bridge mode ? Thank you.

You don't touch the Asus configuration. It stays as it is and acts as Router with whatever is configured there. What you can change is disable Wi-Fi on the Asus. The hardware providing Wi-Fi after the Asus is in bridge mode or AP mode or whatever the manufacturer calls it.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!