What's new

Asus RT-86u from US working in europe? Or buy Nighthawk X10 on sale here in Norway

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Quasimiyao

New Around Here
Well, the title says it all really. Was going to buy the new Asus RT-86U AC2900 from Amazon in the US. Even with import fees and shipping its way cheaper than here. But are the US version any different other then region setting and AC adaptor? Any issues using that here in Norway? I wouldnt think so, but you never know .. And now the Netgear Nighthawk R9000 X10 are on sale here, around 120 bucks more expensive than the Asus still tho. And I love the Asus software. Are mainly for gaming while streaming so a gaming focused router are a big plus. But I can do much of that in modded software on the X10 I would think. And I wouldnt be surprised to see a R9000P soon, as all the others are getting a P version. Any real point in going for the X10? I can use the extra lan ports, and maybe 60Ghz 802.11ad one day.. I am pretty sure the Asus is the one to go for, but since the X10 is like the high end of routers I would think it might have some advantage somewhere?

I’d get the R7800 instead. Uses the same Qualcomm WiFi chipset as the R9000 yet somehow has better range and performance, probably the best among consumer routers for 5Ghz. 802.11ad is not that useful, in fact Intel is discontinuing its WiGig chipsets. They see it more useful for AR apparently rather than networking. The R9000 makes more sense if you need link aggregation and a powerful CPU for apps. Single core performance is around the same as the R7800 so VPN performance should be similar.

Last edited:
But are the US version any different other then region setting and AC adaptor?

That alone is sufficient reason NOT to import a US router into Europe. You will be running into compliance issues with adapters, plus running a device outside of your local legal regulations.

First of all, thx for answers :) But cant I just change region settings? And I will be using your firmware when its ready for daily use anyway, as I am on my current R7000. In the meantime I should be able to flash a european firmware right? Dunno about the bootloader tho. And as long as I dont run the wifi at higher tx power than legal noone should notice it anyway. On the R7000 I was running a bit over whats allowed anyway, to get good coverage. I made sure to stay out of populated channels, and made sure no neighbours had any issues, so should be fine now aswell. Unless there is something else I dont know about, which it very well might be :) And I bought the R7800P nip edition (same price as regular one), but it has a power issue. If I just move it a little bit it loses power, and I have to press on it near the power light for it to start back up :p Easy fix probably, but kinda wanna keep the guarantee and I still have couple weeks to deliver it back as I just bought it a week ago. wifi feels a bit inconsistent, but that might just be my phone and tablets. Its the software that bugs me the most. Had I known about the ac68 when I bought this one I would have waited. its estimated to get in stock in Norway in general next week.. And power adapter shouldn't be a problem, either buy another one or use a US to EU adapter. Unless I'm missing something there aswell :)
Have been looking at the new Linksys WRT32X too. but thats not coming here until late october, and with my R7000 dying and the R7800 has to be delivered back for refund well before that, I would have to get that from the US ..

Last edited:
First of all, thx for answers :) But cant I just change region settings? And I will be using your firmware when its ready for daily use anyway, as I am on my current R7000. In the meantime I should be able to flash a european firmware right? Dunno about the bootloader tho. And as long as I dont run the wifi at higher tx power than legal noone should notice it anyway. On the R7000 I was running a bit over whats allowed anyway, to get good coverage. I made sure to stay out of populated channels, and made sure no neighbours had any issues, so should be fine now aswell. Unless there is something else I dont know about, which it very well might be :) And I bought the R7800P nip edition (same price as regular one), but it has a power issue. If I just move it a little bit it loses power, and I have to press on it near the power light for it to start back up [emoji14] Easy fix probably, but kinda wanna keep the guarantee and I still have couple weeks to deliver it back as I just bought it a week ago. wifi feels a bit inconsistent, but that might just be my phone and tablets. Its the software that bugs me the most. Had I known about the ac68 when I bought this one I would have waited. its estimated to get in stock in Norway in general next week.. And power adapter shouldn't be a problem, either buy another one or use a US to EU adapter. Unless I'm missing something there aswell :)
Have been looking at the new Linksys WRT32X too. but thats not coming here until late october, and with my R7000 dying and the R7800 has to be delivered back for refund well before that, I would have to get that from the US ..
US SKUs do not allow region changes, due to FCC requirements.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

US SKUs do not allow region changes, due to FCC requirements.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

Hmm, that kinda sucks.. But I assume that is in the firmware, not bootloader or hardware locked? So using your firmware for example, I should be able to change regions still? If not, then I might have to stick with Netgear and get a replacement for the R7800. It's a good router, but I dont like dealing with their frimware.. Really want an Asus router this time :) Might have to look at some others. Which would you recommend if I cant get the rt-86 before I have to deliver the one I have now back, unless I just bite the bullet and get a replacement for it. Over here it costs 100 bucks more than in the US, while other routers are priced more in line with US prices. So for 300 usd, would you recommend another one instead? I'm having a real hard time deciding on routers for some reason :p Gaming while streaming too YT and Twitch is the most important usage scenario, but I do also have loads of stuff hooked up both wireless and via lan and switch..

Hmm, that kinda sucks.. But I assume that is in the firmware, not bootloader or hardware locked?

The RT-AC86U uses an encrypted bootloader, to prevent modification. Also, the code that controls the wireless radio is closed source, preventing you from overriding it.

If you want a high end Asus why not go for the GT5300AC, probably a better buy than the R9000 because I don't see much use for 802.11ad. From reviews I've seen the GT5300AC is on par with the R7800 in terms of 5 Ghz WiFi performance which is pretty nice. But TBH a Netgear R7000, or an AC68U is probably the most sensible buy from a cost/benefit standpoint, if you like Asus.