What's new

Asus Rt-ac1900p firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

petes67bird

Occasional Visitor
Hi just bought a Asus Rt-ac1900p from best buy. It comes with:

ASUS RT-AC1900P Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.1842

Which merlin version do I use for this router? I know that if I update to the new firmware I am locked in, but don't see this model on the merlin site. Thanks

The RT-AC1900P is not officially supported.

There's a chance that the RT-AC68U firmware might work (since it's more or less the same device), but it hasn't been tested.

The RT-AC1900P is not officially supported.

There's a chance that the RT-AC68U firmware might work (since it's more or less the same device), but it hasn't been tested.
Are there any plans to build firmware for this model? Just curious as once I update firmware I can never revert back to merlin

Look at the small label on your box to see what hardware version you have. It's either C1, B2, A1 or something like it. C1 is the newest hardware version which has newer and faster CPU and other enhancements. But as RMerlin posted above not officially supported. If you really want Merlin firmware then A1 is your best bet.

Are there any plans to build firmware for this model? Just curious as once I update firmware I can never revert back to merlin

I can't say until I know more about this specific model.

Look at the small label on your box to see what hardware version you have. It's either C1, B2, A1 or something like it. C1 is the newest hardware version which has newer and faster CPU and other enhancements. But as RMerlin posted above not officially supported. If you really want Merlin firmware then A1 is your best bet.
Hardware version is V1

Hardware version is V1

Interesting. My partner and I just picked two up from Best Buy (the last two remaining on the shelf) and they indicate they are HW ver. V3. This is a very new model and there is next to NO information about it on the web just yet. ASUS's official site also isn't very conclusive as to what's different except that it has a 1.4 GHz dual core processor. Just a couple of days ago we picked up a couple RT-AC68P models and returned them when we happened to see this new one with the new (sort of) naming convention. All these different models based on the RT-AC68U / AC1900 are really muddying the waters.

Mine also comes with F/W Ver 3.0.0.4.380_1842 and I went ahead and upgraded one of them to 3.0.0.4.380_3264. The other is still in the sealed box. Do we anticipate a Merlin Firmware option to be created for this now that ASUS has announced that third party firmware support will be unavailable for the foreseable future?

Interesting. My partner and I just picked two up from Best Buy (the last two remaining on the shelf) and they indicate they are HW ver. V3. This is a very new model and there is next to NO information about it on the web just yet. ASUS's official site also isn't very conclusive as to what's different except that it has a 1.4 GHz dual core processor. Just a couple of days ago we picked up a couple RT-AC68P models and returned them when we happened to see this new one with the new (sort of) naming convention. All these different models based on the RT-AC68U / AC1900 are really muddying the waters.

Mine also comes with F/W Ver 3.0.0.4.380_1842 and I went ahead and upgraded one of them to 3.0.0.4.380_3264. The other is still in the sealed box. Do we anticipate a Merlin Firmware option to be created for this now that ASUS has announced that third party firmware support will be unavailable for the foreseable future?
Wow now I am curious why they are on v3 already. Does it mean V1 was poor?

Wow now I am curious why they are on v3 already. Does it mean V1 was poor?
A change in hardware version to a newer one doesn't always mean there was something wrong with a previous version. Sometimes the manufacturer simply changes some of the parts inside the hardware to lower costs. Sometimes they make slight changes to the board design to make it easier to manufacture. Sometimes they are just using revised chips that are not necessarily better but they could be using them due to lack of availability of previous ones.

I've seen hardware revisions that were downgrades before. When I owned a Netgear 3700 router the earlier hardware versions were better and sought after more than some of the later revisions. With the later NG models they used a completely different brand for the main processor that was not supported by third party firmware.

It's best with hardware versions to look up the specs and post in forums like these for as much information as possible. I wouldn't worry about owning V1 in this circumstance. I'd probably just keep it but I can't say whether V3 is better. It could likely be a minimal change effecting manufacturing parts availability. If you have any doubts you could always return it and wait and see how the versions settle out after this initial release.

Last edited:
I've seen hardware revisions that were downgrades before.

WRT54G v5.0. One of the most infamous HW revisions... They halved the RAM, halved the flash, and switched to VxWorks garbage... The proof that newer isn't always better...

WRT54G v5.0. One of the most infamous HW revisions... They halved the RAM, halved the flash, and switched to VxWorks garbage... The proof that newer isn't always better...
I remember that bungle by Linksys. I owned HW version 2 and 3 of the WRT54G. When they cut the router specs and moved to VxWorks it generated an uproar among there own fan base since they were downgrading their most popular product. Linksys eventually appeased the 3rd party firmware community by releasing the WRT54G Linux firmware model.

Now we have the recent FCC regulations effecting open source router firmware in what used to be mostly a self regulated industry. New government regulations along with the new U.S. government control over the Internet as a supposed official "utility service" like municipal electricity and water has created more uncertainty about the future of router hardware and 3rd party firmware development.

Last edited:
My local Best Buy only has the C1 version. I have yet to see a V1 or V3 in my area.
Wouldn't "C1" be the firmware for the 68U and related models instead of the new 1900P? I know... as we discussed in another thread these HW and FW revisions are getting more confusing with every post... like jumping down a rabbit hole blindfolded. :confused:

.... in the meantime I am sure Merlin is breaking out the popcorn. :D

Wouldn't "C1" be the firmware for the 68U and related models instead of the new 1900P? I know... as we discussed in another thread these HW and FW revisions are getting more confusing with every post... like jumping down a rabbit hole. :confused:
Yeah the C1 version just says RT-AC1900.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Yeah the C1 version just says RT-AC1900.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
I believe that is still just a 68U or 68P model and not the RT-AC1900P model. They just changed the former RT-AC68U/P packaging to say RT-AC1900. But don't take my word for it. I just might have to head on over to my local BB to see what the heck is going on. o_O

For what it's worth to anyone who bought this model and finds this, I purchased an Asus RT-AC1900P V3 and threw Merlin's RT-AC68U firmware on it. Been working w/o a hiccup for 3 days now.

For what it's worth to anyone who bought this model and finds this, I purchased an Asus RT-AC1900P V3 and threw Merlin's RT-AC68U firmware on it. Been working w/o a hiccup for 3 days now.

Cool. Good news.

Can you recall if yours shipped with F/W Ver 3.0.0.4.380_1842? Did you update to 3.0.0.4.380_3264 before you installed the Merlin RT-AC68u firmware?

Mine is still sealed in the box because I want to see how others fair in their experience with this model. After getting burned by the RT-AC68P (too many drops and slowdowns), I wanted to keep my options open before I got locked into using only manufacturer released firmware updates.

Cool. Good news.

Can you recall if yours shipped with F/W Ver 3.0.0.4.380_1842? Did you update to 3.0.0.4.380_3264 before you installed the Merlin RT-AC68u firmware?

Mine is still sealed in the box because I want to see how others fair in their experience with this model. After getting burned by the RT-AC68P (too many drops and slowdowns), I wanted to keep my options open before I got locked into using only manufacturer released firmware updates.

Yeah it had 1842 on it, i didn't bother updating.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!