What's new

Asus RT-AC66U Merlin Stuck applying settings when manually assigning IP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zeeblefritz

New Around Here
I have an ASUS RT-AC66U with Merlin firmware that is behind another router with its own subnet. The main router is 192.168.0.1/24 and the Asus is 192.168.2.0/23 everything works fine but whenever I try to manually assign an IP the router just sits in "Applying Settings ..." and never actually sets the IP. Does anyone know why this might be?

Last edited:
Has this ever worked or is this a new problem?

You might have better luck if you stick with the normal /24 subnet size rather than /23.

192.168.2.102 is one of them, the device already has the IP and is recognized and auto populated by the router when doing the assignment.

Sorry, I don't fully understand the question. If I ssh to the router and execute 'nvram show' it gives me a crapload of data. On the GUI I see 176MB free.

This is not the issue then. Try restoring the original /24 subnet as suggested above.

I use Brave so that is the first thing I tried. Tried Chrome from Windows on WiFi and Firefox on Ubuntu on ethernet.

When all else fails, time for a factory reset and manual reconfiguration. Given enough time, some devices just work themselves into a bad state.

Although very rare, there's an ever so slight chance the firmware itself has become corrupted. You might try reinstalling the firmware as a last resort. Or maybe the nvram flash is beginning to fail, esp. given the age of the router.

P.S. You might want to dmesg the router for any such relevant messages.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online