What's new

Client to client disabled when using static IP on OpenVPN ASUS RT-AC3200

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You should be using CCD for that.

CCD is NOT necessary in this case because the OP is using a client-connect script, which is global. IOW, it will be activated at the point *any* client attempts a connection. Although the use of the CCD approach is possible too, it's overkill since the client is NOT being identified based on its CN (Common Name) on its cert (as would be the case w/ CCD), but simply the username provided in response to authentication.

Last edited:
So now I'm trying to run OpenVPN as a service on a Windows client so it connects before login. I followed this tutorial. https://openvpn.net/connect-docs/tutorials/windows-connect-service-daemon-mode.html The problem is on the last step. When I try to start the service I receive the following.
Code:
C:\Program Files\OpenVPN Connect>ovpnconnector.exe start
Service start pending...
Service not started.
  Current State: 1
  Exit Code: 0

Not sure how much I can help here since I'm unfamiliar w/ this process. I rarely ever use Windows anymore, just Linux. Regardless, isn't there a log file, event log, something to report the specifics of the problem?

I got the service working as well now. I was the receiving the error on Windows because I didn't have a username / password file to pass to pass to the ovpn service.

Not sure how much I can help here since I'm unfamiliar w/ this process. I rarely ever use Windows anymore, just Linux. Regardless, isn't there a log file, event log, something to report the specifics of the problem?
I too am a Linux person but my buddy who I'm setting this up for uses Win & Android.

And btw, the 4+2 stuff only applies to the original script. The modified script w/ the 255.255.255.0 subnet masks can simply be sequential IPs. Just be sure you start w/ an IP well above those IPs the OpenVPN server will otherwise assign dynamically.

Any idea how to get more user accounts on the ASUS OVPN? Says it is limited 16 including admin.

Not w/ the OEM firmware. That kind of thing is usually a hard limit. OTOH, AsusWRT-Merlin says it supports up to 32. But that router (RT-AC3200) is no longer officially supported (unless you're willing to deal w/ an older build, which is NOT something I would normally recommend). And even then, 32 is the limit NOW, not sure if it was back in 2020.

That's just another one of those problems when dealing w/ older routers.

Any idea how to get more user accounts on the ASUS OVPN? Says it is limited 16 including admin.
You can use client certificates instead of username/password authentication. Infinite number of allowed clients (well, provided your router has the RAM and the CPU power to handle it, that is).