What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.7266

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wouterv

Very Senior Member
Bug fixed
- Fixed Android phone tethering mode detecting issue in quick internet setup process.
- Fixed PPPoE related issue.
- Fixed client rename issue in network map.
- Fixed network tool issues.
- Fixed wake on lan issues.

Modification
- Added automatic standby mode for CE Ecodesign directive.

Installed without hard-reset, sofar so good.
No idea yet where/how "Added automatic standby mode for CE Ecodesign directive" can be seen or verified.

No fix for https access weakness? Not that I plan to use https access over WAN, but still curious.

The Network Tools are working again.
b/g Protection can still not be disabled.
For sure much more is fixed since 3.0.0.4.380.4164 then listed in the release notes, with 3101 unreleased in-between builds.

Last edited:
Was it also present is ASUSWRT fw? I could only see reports from merlin based fw.
As far as I know it was. I wouldn't think that this is an area that Merlin would tweak.

As far as I know it was. I wouldn't think that this is an area that Merlin would tweak.
Yes, in principle is reasonable to beleive so, but when asked nobody provide concrete evidence that ASUSWRT 4180 suffered the same. It would be nice to see if anyone can test it on the current firmware.

EDIT: Well, Forget what I just said! I found one post about it: :D https://www.snbforums.com/threads/w...and-password-hacked.36602/page-12#post-308683 ... but still from the post above it is not totally clear if 4180 is also vulnerable.

Last edited:
Bug fixed
- Fixed Android phone tethering mode detecting issue in quick internet setup process.
- Fixed PPPoE related issue.
- Fixed client rename issue in network map.
- Fixed network tool issues.
- Fixed wake on lan issues.

Modification
- Added automatic standby mode for CE Ecodesign directive.

Flashed today without a hard-reset (just a reboot) and everything is looking good so far. The network tools are now working and the list of clients looks fine.

Last edited:
Flashed today without a hard-reset (just a reboot) and everything is looking good so far. The network tools are now working and the list of clients looks fine.

I flashed last night using the Android App (3.0.0.4.380_7266-g6439257)

There is a new feature the router drops in the internet connection after about 60 minutes.
It appears to drop the Internet connection every 60 minutes / 1 Hour.
I can predict the failure, however timing hampered by the time it takes to recognize the failure and reboot the router.

How do I save the configuration so I can return to factory?
How do I select the FW version to apply? IE not the latest version.

Is the stock FW now free of of Hacks

TIA

John

Last edited:
Stock firmware is any software version that is released by the router manufacturer, also 3.0.0.4.380.7266 is stock firmware.
Every software (for any application or equipment) has issues, small or large.
I assume you refer to the elsewhere described suspected HTTPS hack: the generic advise is to until further notice not enable Web Access from WAN.

You can only return to a previous firmware version by using a PC hardwired connected to a LAN port of the router.
The steps are as follows:
  1. Write down your router configuration settings (the changes you made from default) or make screen dumps.
  2. Download the firmware of your choice here: https://www.asus.com/Networking/RTAC68U/HelpDesk_Download/
  3. Select OS Others and open the Firmware branch.
  4. Download the firmware of your choice.
  5. Extract the .trx file from the firmware download.
  6. Connect a laptop with a fixed IP address to a LAN port of the router.
  7. Open the router configuration pages from the laptop browser.
  8. Open the page: Advanced Settings>Administration>Firmware upgrade.
  9. Click the Browse button and locate the extracted .trx file.
  10. Click Upload.
  11. After the Upload process is completed: Open the page: Advanced Settings>Administration>Restore/Save/Upload Setting.
  12. Select: Factory default Restore
  13. After the Restore process is finished: login to the router at IP address 192.168.1.1 with Username/Password = admin/admin
  14. Manual make all your settings changes (do not load a configuration backup from another firmware version).

There is an alternative way to save and restore settings, look here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

Last edited:
Thank you for the response.
The problem has subsided, so at this time I do not think there is a problem with the FW.

I had two choices network itself or the router.
Since I had just upgraded the router FW when the problem started, so naturally I assumed a FW

The problem went away and I did not see the router fairly.

The only moving parts left is the network.

I did try the reach my ISP this morning and was unsuccessful.

Now my only problem I have is how many bad service reviews I send their way.

So at this time I do not suspect a the router or a FW issue.

Thank you for the assistance.

John

I am having the same internet connection issue since upgrading to this firmware. First time took longer than 1 hour, then reset and connection came back for an hour an dropped again. I think it is firmware related. Most likely going to roll back.

Aschnell,

I suggest that you wait a few days. If you can tolerate losing the connection every once in a while.
I rebooted the router about five times using the Asus Android Router App.
Then it stopped dropping the connection. The router seems to be stable now.

I am glad you have the information you need to roll back.
At least my efforts and the response have helped someone else.

I still have not ruled out a network issue.
My ISP is playing dumb and they are very good at it.

John

I've had 380.7266 installed for about 24 hours, and so far, zero issues. And its nice to be able name all the devices again in the Client List in the Network Map.

No there is no PPPOE just cable modem and Internet connection.
I had two choices the Router or the Network.
Notwithstanding the fact that I had just upgraded the router firmware.
I started with the ISP and the Network. I got no response from them. (I will deal with that later.)

I strongly suspected that if hit the forums, I would get help.
I am glad that we having this discussion.

While two occurrences does not make a trend.
It is one hell of a coincidence.

ISP. I get endless invitation to evaluate their performance, NOW I have something to say.

John

I'm also confused. Is there an internet connection problem with 380.7266?

When upgrading to 380.7266, should one do a factory reset, and manually make ALL my configuration changes that existed with my 380.4164, or can I restore a saved 380.4164 CFG file? RMerlin says one should always do a factory reset after flashing, and not to use an old CFG file!

Dieter

The reply to which you are concerned was a response to MY question about how do I downgrade the FW.
So it is my guess that you should ignore it unless you have a problem with the router and decide to downgrade the FW.

Do I think there is connection problem with 380.7266?

I been operating without problems for more than a day. I have no evidence as to the stability of the network.
The loss of network connection MAY have been the network all along.

I would like to believe that the engineers who aare developing the FW have a robust testing procedure.
Most of do not have a testing lab that we can test new FW before implementation.
I have no proof there was a FW issue.

John

Our RT-AC68U seems to be stable after flashing to 3.0.0.4.380.7266….EXCEPT

On three separate occasions there has been a strange device listed temporarily in the Windows 10 network. There is a brief description and MAC address listed for each device when it happens.

BLU R1 HD phone – there has never been a BLU phone connected to this network.

SAMSUNG MODEL 2013 – there has never been a Samsung phone connected to this network.

RT2860 Ralink Technology Corp (MAC A4:8D:3B:6E:49:67) -- Google research shows that others claim this is the chipset for the router. The router tag has no matching MAC address and nothing seemed to match in the system log captured on boot up for the chipset. (Will admit it’s a little hard to sort through the boot up listing).

Logged into the router and there is absolutely nothing listed in the General System Log, DHCP leases, or the Wireless log; or anywhere else that I can find with any of these MAC addresses. We are not in a congested area and doubt that the router has been compromised.

This seems to be directly related to the 7266 firmware since we did not have any of this until after flashing to this version. Might have to do a hard reset and totally reconfigure the router (ugh).

Is anyone else having anything like this happening?

UPDATE 2-20-2017 – Decided to compare each setting in the router to a list from the earlier version instead of doing a hard reset to try and see what might have changed. Found WPS enabled in both 2.4 and 5GHz. Disabled WPS in both and there have been no more “mystery devices” showing up in the Windows 10 network browser. Thought WPS was disabled before flash update but looks like it wasn’t. Thought we’d share this in case others are having this issue.

Others have also reported WAN drops on 3.0.0.4.380.7266, but our router has been stable without a single WAN drop ever since we flashed it. We were not experiencing any drops under the previous 3.0.0.4.380.4164 version either.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!