What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U not working with Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

travlight

New Around Here
Hi,

I have just upgraded my router from a RT-AC66U to a RT-AC68U.
I was very happy with the RT-AC66U but managed to sell it for the price of my new 68U so thought I was making a good deal...

I had the latest Merlin FW working on it, so tried the replicate to set up by installing the latest Merlin now.
When I have installed Merlin (RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_374.39_0 and 2 previous versions), I cannot connect to my wireless network anymore, though I can see it. On all my devices (Win7 64b, Mac, Android) I get authentication errors which I can't correct.

Even wired into the router, logging into the GUI takes forever, it only normally works (wired) once I unplug the ethernet cable of my Synology DS414 (plugged in to the router) (DSM 4.3-3827). This obviously makes me think there is some incompatibility.
Everything works fine now (on ASUS firmware) but I'd like to have the Merlin FW in order to benefit from the VPN setup.

I had no issues whatsover with my RT-AC66U in the same set up.
I have already returned (and exchanged) my RT-AC68U as I had more issues (dropping connection, which are now resolved).

My Synology DS414 is quite a standard set-up (no VPN on it, no DHCP on the server,...)

All my devices are assigned through DHCP on the Asus.
Am I missing anything?
Is there other info needed?

Thanks,
Pierre

When you install Merlin's firmware, are you restoring to factory default settings afterward? If not, try it; a lot of people have their problems solved by doing it. I do it after every firmware flash and I've never had any issues.

Another thing to try would be deleting the wireless profiles (or "forgetting" the network details on some devices), if you're using the same SSID as you were on your old router.

Try that stuff without your NAS connected, and then reconnect your NAS afterward if you can get it working acceptably. At least that way you can be confident that the presence of your NAS is not causing the problems.

1. You should post this question in Merlin thread, you will get a faster response.

2. Do a hard reset on your router. Do NOT restore settings from a back up file, you need to input all your settings manually from scratch.

3. If all fails, go back to OEM asus firmware.

Somehow resolved

Thanks, Ikoul

I've done what you recommended.
I had already changed the SSID when changing router, as well as forgetting or deleting all previous profiles.

Without any ethernet connection in the router, I managed to flash the Merlin FW and it all worked.
My NAS was connected to the router through a Dlink 8 port gigabit switch. Once I connected the switch into the router, same problems again, authentication error (I had deleted the profiles).
I deconnected the router from the switch and all went fine again.
Now, I've plugged the NAS directly into the router and it seems to be working, even after plugging in the switch (without NAS) back in...
I just noticed that I hadn't reconnected my SONOS Bridge.... that was the culprit as my internet dropped as soon as I reconnected the Bridge.

I'll keep monitoring it anyway (as the Bridge used to work).
I'm happy to have my VPN up again.

Pierre

KGB7,

Thanks for your advice, I have reset it based on a saved file, I will remember this in case I need to reset it again.

I'm new to the forum, so posted to the first board I thought would be appropriate, I tried to move the post but I guess that's not possible.

I think my problem has been resolved, though don't know why ;)

I think my problem has been resolved, though don't know why ;)
Just a question: Do you have Sonus Wireless Speakers in your network? Then you should read this warning! :eek:

The solution is simple: Disconnect your Sonos devices and connect only one the network after you finished the configuration of the router.

By the way: Asus fixed this issue with Sonos just yesterday!
ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.4561
Security related issues:
1. Deny port 445 inbound connection from WAN.
2. Force changing FTP from anonymous to account mode after firmware upgraded.
3. Patched IPv6 user interface from Merlin's build.

Others
1. Fixed IE and Firefox compatibility issues.
2. Network map will show notification when newer firmware available.
3. Modified auto channel selection method for EU region.
4. Fixed the Sonos connection issue of more than one Sonos devices hardwired to LAN ports.
5. Fixed Seagate Freeagent GoFlex USB disk compatibility issue.
6. Fixed UI bug for USB disk capacity/available space indication.

Update: 2014.02.21

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Last edited:
Joegreat,

That must've exactly been the issue! Makes complete sense.
I had my bridge and the zoneplayer hard wired, I will only hardwire the bridge now as I'm on Merlin FW, so I guess that issue may not be resolved there yet.

Thanks everybody for your advice!
Much appreciated,

Pierre