What's new

Asus RT-AC86U Openvpn connected but not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

criskoe

New Around Here
Hi everyone. Super noob here but hoping for any guidance.

Ive been trying to get openvpn working on my Asus RT-AC86U but cant seem to get it functional. According to the openvpn app on my iphone it says that I am connected but I am unable to access the modem gui or any of the Lan devices on my network.

The RT-AC86U is running Asuswrt-Merlin 386.13_2 and the openvpn app on my iphone is the most recent version. For the setup I followed the basic steps so everything is on defaults and for the ddns i was using the free asuscomm.com thing which seems to be set up properly too.

Again I'm sorry if I'm missing any important information. I've had this working before in the past on a different asus router so I'm not sure why I'm having such a difficult time here.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Hi everyone. Super noob here but hoping for any guidance.

Ive been trying to get openvpn working on my Asus RT-AC86U but cant seem to get it functional. According to the openvpn app on my iphone it says that I am connected but I am unable to access the modem gui or any of the Lan devices on my network.

The RT-AC86U is running Asuswrt-Merlin 386.13_2 and the openvpn app on my iphone is the most recent version. For the setup I followed the basic steps so everything is on defaults and for the ddns i was using the free asuscomm.com thing which seems to be set up properly too.

Again I'm sorry if I'm missing any important information. I've had this working before in the past on a different asus router so I'm not sure why I'm having such a difficult time here.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Did you hit the proper radio button [ LAN only] [Internet only] [Both] when you configured the VPN? I know personally I was troubleshooting my VPN. It showed I was connected to the VPN but I couldn't access anything on the internet. Turns out that I had enabled [LAN only]

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-06 at 18-10-17 ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC86U - VPN Server.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-06 at 18-10-17 ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC86U - VPN Server.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 14
Did you hit the proper radio button [ LAN only] [Internet only] [Both] when you configured the VPN? I know personally I was troubleshooting my VPN. It showed I was connected to the VPN but I couldn't access anything on the internet. Turns out that I had enabled [LAN only]
Hi! Yes I've tried all 3 of those options. And unfortunately none of them seem to make a difference. :( Cant access router gui or any of the devices on my lan.

I have also tried a full reset of the router and start from scratch and nope... I feel like something is blocking my device when connected to the vpn not allowing me to access the LAN.

Try changing the options, reboot the router, export the config file, import to your externally (i.e. device outside your LAN) and test again (one by one).

Last edited:
Hi! Yes I've tried all 3 of those options. And unfortunately none of them seem to make a difference. :( Cant access router gui or any of the devices on my lan.

I have also tried a full reset of the router and start from scratch and nope... I feel like something is blocking my device when connected to the vpn not allowing me to access the LAN.
You haven't mentioned if you have tried to set up a VPN client on another device, just your iPhone. Do you have another device (another phone, laptop, tablet) that you can try to set up as a VPN client? Perhaps, the problem isn't with the VPN server or configuration -- maybe it's with some novel iPhone setting?

Try changing the options, reboot the router, export the config file, import to your externally (i.e. device outside your LAN) and test again (one by one).
Hi!. Yeah I've tried all the options that I've at least found on the internet that I thought might pertain to this issue.. Mind you, I'm NOT very unknowledgeable about this stuff. Sorry

I tried every different combination of these settings with reboots in-between each change :(

"Enable static routes"
"Client will use VPN to Access - LAN only - Internet Only - Both"
"Disable Firewall"
"Encryption on/off"
"Manage Client-Specific Options"
"Allow Client <-> Client
"Different Ports"
"Refreshing Certs"
"Refreshing Configs"

As well as re flashing the modem firmware and factory resetting the router and starting from scratch..

Nada. Same thing. I can connect to the VPN and OpenVPN shows I'm connected in the iphone app but I cannot access the router gui (192.168.50.1) or any of the devices on the Lan..

Last edited:
You haven't mentioned if you have tried to set up a VPN client on another device, just your iPhone. Do you have another device (another phone, laptop, tablet) that you can try to set up as a VPN client? Perhaps, the problem isn't with the VPN server or configuration -- maybe it's with some novel iPhone setting?
Cause I've been trying to connect outside of the network to replicate real use, I have been mainly using my iPhone cell data yes. I did try iPad as well though but also through my iPhone cell hotspot. Same thing. I can connect to the VPN and OpenVPN shows I'm connected in the openvpn app but I cannot access the router gui (192.168.50.1) or any of the devices on the Lan..

hoping its not some apple thing.

Sorry my friend, I know I'm reaching here with such little information. I had this working a few years back with apple devices so I dunno. lol... I also remember it was so easy to set up and it just works... this time not so much.. lol

Post the client connection log.

Are you able to ping any LAN devices?