What's new

ASUS RT-AC87 Firmware - Official Releases

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I loaded the new firmware yesterday and did not WPS reset at first.

I could not get rid of the lag on the PS4, reset cable modem, router , DMZ , nothing!!!!

So I WPS reset the router, and configured very little, so far, and tested PS4 for lag , no lag yet.

I have not tried the movie test yet, but Asus seems to not look in here at all or care at all, because "nat Acceleration" is still enabled by default and still there (for what ???) .

Will test the wifi to LAN remote control, but so far it did search for a while to find the device, so it does not seem to be fixed either.

Are they actually doing something at all or just relabeling version numbers and pushing them out to us??

Maybe they know its a faulty product.

I have not tried the movie test yet, but Asus seems to not look in here at all or care at all, because "nat Acceleration" is still enabled by default and still there (for what ???) .

It's there because without it, people with fast Internet connection would be unable to reach the full speed. So don't expect Asus to change this. What might fix YOUR issue will create issues to OTHER people.

That's why it's user-configurable - because there's no single setting that works best for every single setup.

I loaded the new firmware yesterday and did not WPS reset at first.

I could not get rid of the lag on the PS4, reset cable modem, router , DMZ , nothing!!!!

So I WPS reset the router, and configured very little, so far, and tested PS4 for lag , no lag yet.

Will test the wifi to LAN remote control, but so far it did search for a while to find the device, so it does not seem to be fixed either.

Are they actually doing something at all or just relabeling version numbers and pushing them out to us??

Maybe they know its a faulty product.

I'm confused-- you said that there was no PS4 lag any more after a factory reset, but then you said that the firmware wasn't fixed for you.

The PS4 is 2.4GHz only; it has no 5GHz chip in it, so the lag shouldn't be a Quantenna issue (which seems to be the problem child on this router).

If your PS4 works with no lag with minimal settings as you state, it could be a bad setting in your config (either as a result of a bad unit, which you should return, or maybe a bad set of parameters).

My PS4 is fine on my AC87, no lags at all, Netflix HD streaming from PS4 and Netflix 4K streaming from my Sony TV all good, and I have most of the weird functions enabled on my AC87 including adaptive QoS with CTF NAT Acceleration enabled, AiProtection, dual-WAN to a DSL failover, the works.

The only thing I *don't* have configured is what seems to be a very common problem, a second AC87. Also, I'm actively cooling this thing, so there's that.

Last edited:
Just wanted to throw in, regarding the recent issues with having two AC87s on the network. I have two online as a router/bridge combo rather than a router/ap combo. I don't seem to be having any obvious issues with my setup, although for everything except the bridged AC87, I don't use 5GHz yet.

I'm getting a solid 1-2 weeks normal uptime. 5Ghz is still troublesome on many of my devices (strong connection signal without any actual network access after a random amount of time), but for now I have no issues using the 2.4 for most things.

It's there because without it, people with fast Internet connection would be unable to reach the full speed. So don't expect Asus to change this. What might fix YOUR issue will create issues to OTHER people.

That's why it's user-configurable - because there's no single setting that works best for every single setup.

Hi,
First I mean no harm to anyone, and I did my praising over this router in the past, BUT 6 months into it and STILL no fixes for the problems (that should have been fixed months ago) is NO EXCUSE at all.

I am not a rocket scientist with this stuff at all. ;)

With nat acceleration enabled it causes stutter in movie playback, all movies NO, but some, YES. By all means they can leave it enabled BUT FIX THE STUTTER PLAYBACK! If they can not then leave it disabled. (USB drive to the USB port on the router, either 2.0 or 3.0). So technically with this enabled, the throughput or ? is less with it enabled somehow.

For the few that actually benefit from it enabled, they leave MANY more with the problems it causes.

As for PS4 lag
I most likely live in an area that is borderline to sony servers, so any deviation at all with my equipment will show this, online play and the test internet from the PS4, if you have no lag they you must live in an area that no matter what, you do not get lag, and I am totally jealous!!

EDIT: Sorry for the rant, and none of this is directed at anyone here but ASUS.

Last edited:
Just wanted to throw in, regarding the recent issues with having two AC87s on the network. I have two online as a router/bridge combo rather than a router/ap combo. I don't seem to be having any obvious issues with my setup, although for everything except the bridged AC87, I don't use 5GHz yet.

I'm getting a solid 1-2 weeks normal uptime. 5Ghz is still troublesome on many of my devices (strong connection signal without any actual network access after a random amount of time), but for now I have no issues using the 2.4 for most things.

So the AC87 doesn't have a bridge mode preconfigured, only Wireless Router mode (Default), Access Point mode and Media Bridge. I have been using Access point. How did you set this up as a bridge? I have been able to replicate the issue I'm having down to about +/- 30 minutes. From the moment I turn on the 2nd AP, the main router wireless and wired connections go down. I have just sent full syslog and config to ASUS under case # N150120469. I'll keep you updated.....woud be interested to hear more about your config and network setup. Thanks

Hi,
First I mean no harm to anyone, and I did my praising over this router in the past, BUT 6 months into it and STILL no fixes for the problems (that should have been fixed months ago) is NO EXCUSE at all.

I am not a rocket scientist with this stuff at all. ;)

With nat acceleration enabled it causes stutter in movie playback, all movies NO, but some, YES. By all means they can leave it enabled BUT FIX THE STUTTER PLAYBACK! If they can not then leave it disabled. (USB drive to the USB port on the router, either 2.0 or 3.0). So technically with this enabled, the throughput or ? is less with it enabled somehow.

For the few that actually benefit from it enabled, they leave MANY more with the problems it causes.

As for PS4 lag
I most likely live in an area that is borderline to sony servers, so any deviation at all with my equipment will show this, online play and the test internet from the PS4, if you have no lag they you must live in an area that no matter what, you do not get lag, and I am totally jealous!!

EDIT: Sorry for the rant, and none of this is directed at anyone here but ASUS.

I just watched "Edge of Tomorrow" via HDX on Vudu (PS4 App) with absolutely no problems whatsoever. That's with NAT accel enabled. I'm hardwired all the way through (Gateway connection) which if you're gaming you should be hardwired anyways. This was on the previous firmware 3.0.0.4.378_3754. I'm updating right now since there's a new update.

If you refuse to hardwire then your issue likely lies with Sony, and Sony only. I recently sold my launch PS4 as wanted to purchase the newest sku "CHU-1100." I researched new sku's online and found that the new CHU-1100 series PS4's contain a new Wi-Fi revision that's designed to alleviate problems some users were having with the original CHU-1000 Launch series of consoles. I don't/didn't use Wi-Fi but that revision was definitely made for that and other reasons.

Asus likely isn't your problem as many of us have PS4's and XBone's and don't have any problems. I'm young (22) and am a hardcore gamer. In my free time I like to chase ghosts to see what I can possibly improve to make my setup "better." I own a Panasonic 65" VT60, 87R, Motorola 6183 Modem, Astro A40's and just about every game you can imagine. I don't drive, and I live with my parents - I tell you this so you know where my priorities lie and don't dismiss the above. I've explored every single avenue and still cannot get my ISP's speeds I get on other devices likely due to my proximity to Sony's servers.

I can confirm that streaming does disconnect on my RT-AC87 when connected to either of the USB ports. It will last for about 20 min into the movie and then always disconnect unless I disable the NAT Acceleration. My movies are all x264 DTS-HD Bluray Movies and vary between 10 to 20 gigs for each file. Something is up for streaming, maybe too much load and crashes I don't know...

As Merlin said I would rather not sacrifice my bandwidth speed by disabling my NAT Acceleration. I am going to invest into a NAS Server anyways for they are more reliable for transcoding. You can get a pretty decent one from 300 to 500 bucks. Routers are not really made to be media servers. Maybe for file back up and print servers but that is my opinion.

Though, this is an issue and I assume it can be fixed. I had a R7000 and a Linksys WRT1900 and they both streamed excellent. Though sometimes the DLNA server would not show up at all... No router is perfect.

So far I am enjoying the RT-AC87 other than my Xbox One Download speed... I have 100 meg down and I only get 30 meg down on the Xbox. It works though... I like the Asus continuous support. At least they are aware of the issues and come out with betas weekly it seems. Linksys and Netgear seem really slow with their firmwares. I have had both and they all have their own problems. So I ended up with the RT-AC87 and have high hopes for it. I'm sure they will smooth it out.

At what speeds would NAT start to be of benefit?

It's there (NAT enabled by default) because without it, people with fast Internet connection would be unable to reach the full speed.

At what speeds would NAT start to be of benefit? I ask because I have 150/50Mbps service. Thanks.

Stille some issues here.

Hi,

I have updated to the newest firmware but I still get the below info in syslog, any news / fix on that ?

Also my iPhone still have wifi issues on 5Ghz signal.

The router have been reset after each firmware update!

Jan 12 20:59:59 ntp: start NTP update
Jan 12 22:00:01 ntp: start NTP update
Jan 12 22:59:57 ntp: start NTP update
Jan 12 23:12:39 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Jan 12 23:12:39 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Jan 12 23:12:41 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Jan 12 23:12:41 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Jan 12 23:12:42 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Jan 12 23:12:42 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Jan 12 23:12:43 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Jan 12 23:12:43 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Jan 12 23:12:44 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Jan 12 23:12:44 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Jan 12 23:12:45 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Jan 12 23:12:45 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Jan 12 23:12:46 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Jan 12 23:12:46 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Jan 12 23:12:47 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Jan 12 23:12:47 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Jan 12 23:59:59 ntp: start NTP update
Jan 13 01:00:01 ntp: start NTP update
Jan 13 01:59:57 ntp: start NTP update
Jan 13 02:59:59 ntp: start NTP update
Jan 13 04:00:01 ntp: start NTP update
Jan 13 04:59:57 ntp: start NTP update
Jan 13 09:00:01 ntp: start NTP update
Jan 13 09:59:57 ntp: start NTP update
Jan 13 10:12:21 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Jan 13 10:12:22 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Jan 13 10:12:23 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Jan 13 10:12:25 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Jan 13 10:12:27 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Jan 13 10:12:29 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Jan 13 10:12:31 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Jan 13 10:12:33 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Jan 13 18:59:59 ntp: start NTP update
Jan 13 20:00:01 ntp: start NTP update
Jan 13 20:59:57 ntp: start NTP update
Jan 13 21:59:59 ntp: start NTP update
Jan 13 23:00:01 ntp: start NTP update
Jan 13 23:11:46 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Jan 13 23:11:47 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Jan 13 23:11:48 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Jan 13 23:11:49 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Jan 13 23:11:50 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Jan 13 23:11:51 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Jan 13 23:11:52 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Jan 13 23:11:53 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address

I just watched "Edge of Tomorrow" via HDX on Vudu (PS4 App) with absolutely no problems whatsoever. That's with NAT accel enabled. I'm hardwired all the way through (Gateway connection) which if you're gaming you should be hardwired anyways. This was on the previous firmware 3.0.0.4.378_3754. I'm updating right now since there's a new update.

If you refuse to hardwire then your issue likely lies with Sony

Asus likely isn't your problem as many of us have PS4's and XBone's and don't have any problems. .

Hi,
Yes PS4 is hardwired, I never use wifi for that.
Like I said, I get lag if anything is out of spec. / order / ??

I did not configure much yet on the router, and still this morning I have no lag (last night I did but due to either sony servers or where I live, and I understand that, tho I hate the fact that I do get even that).

I am going to have to change one thing at a time to see what setting in the router that Asus can not find is causing the issue. (I wonder if I can back charge them!!)

Now onto the movie streaming (from a USB hard drive attached to the router)
YES not all movies will show the stuttering, BUT my known ones due! with nat acceleration enabled, with nat acceleration disabled or the drive connected directly to the player the same movies play absolutely fine.

How does some setting not in the WAN, effect WAN speeds??
This is the stuff that just blows my mind.

I second the question on what speeds or ?? will benefit form nat acceleration?

Hi,
Yes PS4 is hardwired, I never use wifi for that.
Like I said, I get lag if anything is out of spec. / order / ??

I did not configure much yet on the router, and still this morning I have no lag (last night I did but due to either sony servers or where I live, and I understand that, tho I hate the fact that I do get even that).

I am going to have to change one thing at a time to see what setting in the router that Asus can not find is causing the issue. (I wonder if I can back charge them!!)

Now onto the movie streaming (from a USB hard drive attached to the router)
YES not all movies will show the stuttering, BUT my known ones due! with nat acceleration enabled, with nat acceleration disabled or the drive connected directly to the player the same movies play absolutely fine.

How does some setting not in the WAN, effect WAN speeds??
This is the stuff that just blows my mind.

I second the question on what speeds or ?? will benefit form nat acceleration?

I do not use LAN with PS4 because it's lagging, I believe it is a PS4 software or hardware issue. I am using Wireless. Try

I do not use LAN with PS4 because it's lagging, I believe it is a PS4 software or hardware issue. I am using Wireless. Try

Really? That is very interesting, but I do have a launch console that Find the Door stated has wifi issues??

WOW this stuff gets better every day.

I will try tonight and get back.

Thanks

Second day on latest firmware…

Still have problems with network dropouts after update but on the 2.4 net not on the 5 GHz for me... Losing the nework completely sometimes, and then losing the network name. Have also times were it seems connected but no contact with internet. Have adjusted transmitter strength from 100% down to 70% the dropouts seems less often.

Is this indication of a hardware related problem???

My patients is running out, after having apple airport network for the last 5 years without a single hitch, this upgrade to a Asus AC network has not been successful at least so far. Maybe I will have to return it an buy the latest airport with AC... I will give it a couple weeks hopefully there will be working firmware by then.

Last edited:

Still have problems with network dropouts after update but on the 2.4 net not on the 5 GHz for me... Losing the nework completely sometimes, and then losing the network name. Have also times were it seems connected but no contact with internet. Have adjusted transmitter strength from 100% down to 70% the dropouts seems less often.

My patients is running out, after having apple airport network for the last 5 years without a single hitch, this upgrade to a Asus AC network has not been successful at least so far. Maybe I will have to return it an buy the latest airport with AC... I will give it a couple weeks hopefully there will be working firmware by then.

same here, what made this worser is with previous firmware i only have issue with 5ghz band, but with this one after one of use both of the band dropped out, internet connection at all.

At what speeds would NAT start to be of benefit? I ask because I have 150/50Mbps service. Thanks.

For the RT-AC87, somewhere above 350 Mbps (my last benchmarks were on the 800 MHz RT-AC68U, so I don't know the exact performance cap with the 1 GHz RT-C87U). If you want to use Adaptive QoS then the cap would be somewhere below that, as part of the CPU cycles would be needed for the QoS processing.

What about downgrading to a 68U?

I have updated to the latest firmware (3754) and have not seen any new issues, everything works as it did before. I did a factory reset and manually entered all my settings over again. There is no improvement in Wi-Fi range, not that I expected it. 5G goes to about 35-50ft max for me and very unreliable at that distance as before.

Someone posted that you could disable NAT acceleration to get upnp port forwarding to work on the LAN. This worked! However, then the router would bomb (completely cease to function) after less than a day, very consistent. I switched it back on and all is good again, sans the local upnp port access.

Still seeing the same loopback/etc errors in the logs.

I've managed to work around or put up with all the bugs/issues with the router thus far and it's stable with the settings I'm at, so I'm a happy camper. That said, this is the buggiest piece of hardware I've ever owned. The price for cutting edge I suppose. I'd buy it again though if I could start over :)

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!