What's new

Asus RT-AC87U max tx power

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jake Rote

New Around Here
I have recenctly install dd-wrt on my router and I am wondering what is safest tx power I can use on my 2.4 and 5 ghz networks. Currently they are bother at the default value of 71mw.

Thanks

rb750 have 1W radio ;)

It is 316mw from what I have been told, i had mine at 300mw and that seems to be right where asus puts theirs at.
Someone said we could go to 700mw with a laptop cooler under it, I have now moved on to a different brand that is so far very stable for me.

It is 316mw from what I have been told, i had mine at 300mw and that seems to be right where asus puts theirs at.
Someone said we could go to 700mw with a laptop cooler under it, I have now moved on to a different brand that is so far very stable for me.

All Asus routers are capped at 80mw and have been for some time now with Asus and Merlin builds.

Last edited by a moderator:
What router did you go with to replace the RT-AC87U? I am getting frustrated as well.

I have recenctly install dd-wrt on my router and I am wondering what is safest tx power I can use on my 2.4 and 5 ghz networks. Currently they are bother at the default value of 71mw.

Thanks

On paper if you double power ,you get 3db gain. In real life I don't know unless it is LOS(?)
Also keep in mind WiFi is two way business, your device may receive little better signal but
transmitter is yet putting out same flea power. In case of using gain antenna, it is different
story. If you raise power, radio chip will generate more heat too which may need extra cooling to prevent possible damaging effect or shortening life of chip. Heat is no. 1 enemy for any electronic device. Cool ones run better, even faster, less noisy, more stable. So I can see it is not just a matter of raising the power output at one end.

Linksys ac2600 (EA8500)
I am 2 1/2 days in to this Linksys and I had one problem that turned out to be just resetting network settings in the printer, nothing to do with the router.
See my review here.
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/li...i-fi-router-reviewed.24214/page-7#post-198350

I have two WiFi printers on the same router. Brother MFC-9130CW and Canon ip7220. No problem at all. 7/24 connected, when not in use, sleeping. As soon as print queue has some thing to print it wakes right up and when finished go back to sleep. Both printers have fixed ip addresses. Hard to believe your problem is caused by the router.

just make sure the wifi chips are below 50C. The normal tx power for consumer radio is 100mw in clients so theres no need to increase it more than that. When you lower the tx power it usually results in better throughput.

I have two WiFi printers on the same router. Brother MFC-9130CW and Canon ip7220. No problem at all. 7/24 connected, when not in use, sleeping. As soon as print queue has some thing to print it wakes right up and when finished go back to sleep. Both printers have fixed ip addresses. Hard to believe your problem is caused by the router.
Hi,
Yes my wifi printer problem with the EA8500 was the printer not the router at all, the printer must have saved something in the network settings from the Asus router, as soon as I reset the network on the printer, then set the printer wifi back up, I no longer have any problems.
I am almost a week into this new EA8500 router and still no problems at all, if it stays like this, the EA8500 will be the best router I have ever owned to date.:)
Everything is really fast on it and no dead spots that Asus routers have.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!