What's new

asus rt-ac88u or netgear nighthawk x8 or ac3200

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What one should I buy

• asus rt-ac88u

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • netgear nighthawk x8

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • ac3200

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

Mishyman

New Around Here
I want to know what be the best router to buy for 100Mpbs down and 20Mpbs up for 3+ devices and i do alot of downloading and game as well

pick all 3/

Rather you dont need the AC88U, you can get the ac68U or the netgear r7000 as both would do fine for your speeds.

What really matters is the throughput you need. At 120Mb/s even a fast single core MIPS can handle it than all you have to do is just pair up the CPU that is fast enough with the wifi and physical features of your choice. If you want MU-MIMO get the AC3100 instead if you dont need more than 4 ethernet ports as you will be disappointed with the performance of the 4 extra ports on the AC88U if you do a lot of LAN transfers.

Your usage seems internet based mainly with very little LAN transfer which is why even tripple channel AC will work fine.

Cheers for that well here in New Zealand we don't sell the AC3100 and r7000 and AC3200 cost around the same amount like the r7000 cost $344 nzd and the AC3200 cost $369 nzd

Neither...you can do do better than those based on what you're asking. Just use the ranker and look at the routing performance.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/rankers/router/ranking/AC Router/rev9/148

I returned an R8500 (3 actually) and RT-AC3100 for something else.

Hmmm - Looks like Amazon only has one 3rd party vendor selling the R8500 new with everything else being used and Amazon doesn't appear to be selling it directly at this point. Perhaps too many returns?

Last edited:
For your connectivity - any AC1900 class Router/AP would be more than sufficient...

Netgear's R7000 is a good option, so is Asus' RT-AC68U, Linksys WRT1900ac, and the Apple Airport Extreme AC - these are the higher end - anything more in your situation is likely not going to add to the user experience.

Orbi/GoogleWiFi/Eero - these might be options - just note that these offer great WiFi coverage, but less routing options.

On the lower end - the Archers are interesting, and on the very low end, there's the Tenda AC1900...

Why pay more when all you need is a AC1900 WiFi Router, for that price you can get 2-3 off this babys.
NG R7000, Asus AC68P, Archer C9 (V1, V2, V3) is some of this Routers, why overkill things?

Last edited:
he says that the routers are priced by demand so the higher end routers with less demand get similar prices to the common ones. We have mentioned the minimum he needs so its up to him to pick what he wants. If the difference between the AC68U and AC88U is $40 you might as well go for the AC88U if they both cost above $200. The AC3100 and AC3200 are also for consideration as well. A lot of this is very dependent on pricing as well.

I've tried to say before that supply and demand pricing is flawed and has negative impacts. Products that get a lot of hype like us liking and suggesting it get a price increase. Products that we shun like the AC87U get priced less on the market and this also leads to a lot of problems though @thiggins would probably be very happy in tears when opinions on this site determines prices for products. Its why you dont see him generally shunning a product except if bad history repeats.

Should I get the netgear nighthawk x4s?

That would be a better choice than your initial list and if you don't mind the Netgear interface. It's faster than the others suggested and also newer and those things would matter in my decision making. Search on that model and read more on other websites as well; always use various sources. Looks like your initial budget was higher than this one so you could be good to go on that front.

Take the "you don't need more than 1900" with a split grain of salt.

Should I get the netgear nighthawk x4s?

do you have any client adapters capable of using its 1733M 5 gig or 160mhz bandwidth? i would suggest not , so your speed will be limited to what your client devices are capable of

Cheers for that well here in New Zealand

hell you guys are getting ripped of over in NZ

the same netgear r7000 is selling for around $230 aud and atm in australia our $ is about on par with NZ , you would prob be better of importing one from AU , the asus rt-ac3200 is around $300 aud here

im not sure why netgear r7000 is so much more in NZ , the asus stuff seems about on par with us though

the netgear x4 r7800 is around the same price here as in NZ

so the r7000 in NZ is just over priced for some reason so not a good choice based on price

if your going to spend money you may as well get more features

you can get the asus rt-ac88u here in OZ for just under $400 aud , in NZ your going to pay $520 plus

seeing as you use the same power points as us prob suggest you import one from here

we use the same channels and transmission power etc and you can save quite a bit

When i said why pay more when all you need is a AC1900 WiFi Router, for that price you can get 2-3 off this babys.
NG R7000, Asus AC68P, Archer C9 (V1, V2, V3) is some of this Routers, why overkill things?
Is because you can get them here around 120USD, the R7800 cost 210USD and if you only have "mobile" clients that most off them are 2x2, but iff you have client cards/adapters in a desktop PCs/laptops thats a other thing, if you have client cards/adapters that works for AC1900 and over so yes.
So take a look at the client side speed first and decide wath you need in Router way.

Last edited: