What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.22525

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

From a couple of hours I have upgraded the AX86S to 388.22525 which is paired in AiMesh with AC68U (386.49703).
Everything looks OK.

The biggest improvement that I see is that now I have 5 clients connected to the AC68U node (as it should be normal based on distance) , while in the last 2 months it was a mess I did not see more than 2 clients connected to AC68U node (I did not wanted to reset them to factory default).

Let's see how stable it is ... In the last 2-3 months I've tried different versions of 388 (stock and Merlin) while in the last weeks I went back to 386, but still the biggest isssue was that once per week I had to reboot it because of stability (DNS not responding, sshd not responding, but I was able to ping by public IP addresses).

Is everyone doing a dirty upgrade? Or clean wipe and install
I just did a clean wipe and reverted to 386 on 86u and 86s and it seems to be stable finally.
So I'm apprehensive to upgrade right now.
As I reported earlier I did an upgrade from the test version (RT-AX86U_3.0.0.4_388_22484-gdea54d4-test). Yes, guess you could call that a dirty upgrade.

If upgrading from the 386 firmware you should be OK but be prepared to hard reset and manually reconfigure.

what's considered a dirty upgrade? typically I've been doing point release updates within the same family. e.g. staying within the 388 branch but updating to each new point release.

what's considered a dirty upgrade? typically I've been doing point release updates within the same family. e.g. staying within the 388 branch but updating to each new point release.
Dirty upgrade = not clearing user data or re-initializing

Having no issues on the new build. Wonder if it uses the new WiFi driver Merlin was testing.

Dirty upgrade = not clearing user data or re-initializing

Having no issues on the new build. Wonder if it uses the new WiFi driver Merlin was testing.
Thanks for clarifying that. I wasn't sure if it just meant going between major releases, also to point releases without doing a clean install.

Dirty upgrade from 22068 -> 22525. Everything seems to be working fine so far.

I did notice something new in the logs, however. Seeing a bunch of these show up about every 17 minutes. Anyone know why this is or what this means?

EDIT: Noticing the 160 in the error messages - I wonder if these errors have something to do with my 5GHz being 80MHz even though I've enabled 160MHz?

Code:
Feb  8 11:09:46 acsd: acs_candidate_score_bgnoise(1577): eth7: bgnoise check failed for chanspec: 0xe932 (40/160)
Feb  8 11:09:46 acsd: acs_candidate_score_txop(1835): eth7: txop check failed for chanspec: 0xe932 (40/160)
Feb  8 11:09:46 acsd: acs_candidate_score_intf(1112): eth7: intf check failed for chanspec: 0xea32 (44/160)

Last edited:
Everything ok with FW_RT_AX86U_300438822525, also fixed WiFi6 speeds, now I can get 800-930Mbps down with my 1Gbps FTTH on WiFi6 devices.

I enabled WPA2/WPA3 and got some increased speed on my iphone 12 pro max which is wifi 6 compatible. the highest I got was about 785 Mbps down When I had it only set to WPA2, I got between 600 and low 700. So it's an improvement.

Are there any 2.4 Ghz devices that support WPA3? I can enabled mixed mode for 2.4 to see if that also adds anything to those devices. If not, I'll leave that set to WPA2, only.

I have run this software on my Aimesh node and discover some quirks.
Is't just me or do you guys see same thing? Have some LAN connected.
Running wifi 5Ghz backhaul.

Screenshot 2023-02-09 at 14-39-01 ASUS Wireless Router RT-AX86U Pro - AiMesh.png

Screenshot 2023-02-09 at 14-39-29 ASUS Wireless Router RT-AX86U Pro - AiMesh-2.png

Screenshot 2023-02-09 at 14-40-04 ASUS Wireless Router RT-AX86U Pro - AiMesh-2.png

Last edited:
Is everyone doing a dirty upgrade? Or clean wipe and install
I just did a clean wipe and reverted to 386 on 86u and 86s and it seems to be stable finally.
So I'm apprehensive to upgrade right now.
just installed like all the other firmware updates before, just works for me, simple configuration, no AiMesh... hardly ever had to wipe and clean install....

A bit more than two days uptime with no issues here.

Network Map seems to be showing clients correctly or at least better than prior versions. Clients that go off line do show as off line.

I am running Auto channel with DFS enabled and WPA2/WPA3-Personal. Even the finicky Samsung Smart TV connected after I switched from just WPA2-Personal. The 5 GHz has been on channel 116 and switches from 80 MHz to 160 MHz as needed.

RAM holding at 60 - 62% with Samba enabled and a USB2 drive attached.

A bit more than two days uptime with no issues here.

Network Map seems to be showing clients correctly or at least better than prior versions. Clients that go off line do show as off line.

I am running Auto channel with DFS enabled and WPA2/WPA3-Personal. Even the finicky Samsung Smart TV connected after I switched from just WPA2-Personal. The 5 GHz has been on channel 116 and switches from 80 MHz to 160 MHz as needed.

RAM holding at 60 - 62% with Samba enabled and a USB2 drive attached.
I can't remember if you did a factory reset between versions, or not. I was having some glitches, and did a power cycle. and things seem OK. The types of glitches I was having though are most likely client issues, not the router.

What I'm wanting to know though, is there any reason to enable AX for the 2.4 band these days, or is it strictly more the 5 G band still. I disabled it because I don't have any 2.4 devices that use it, and it used to cause issues for bulbs I used to use. So, just thought I would check to see if there were any 2.4 devices on the market now that can take advantage of ax since it's been out for a while now.

I can't remember if you did a factory reset between versions, or not. I was having some glitches, and did a power cycle. and things seem OK. The types of glitches I was having though are most likely client issues, not the router.

What I'm wanting to know though, is there any reason to enable AX for the 2.4 band these days, or is it strictly more the 5 G band still. I disabled it because I don't have any 2.4 devices that use it, and it used to cause issues for bulbs I used to use. So, just thought I would check to see if there were any 2.4 devices on the market now that can take advantage of ax since it's been out for a while now.
Have not done a reset with this version. I use dual band smartconnect so the 2.4 gets the WPA2/WPA3-personal. I have a 2.4 GHz guest set up with just WPA2-Personal for IoT clients and the one old iPod that does not like WPA2-WPA3-Personal

Have not done a reset with this version. I use dual band smartconnect so the 2.4 gets the WPA2/WPA3-personal. I have a 2.4 GHz guest set up with just WPA2-Personal for IoT clients and the one old iPod that does not like WPA2-WPA3-Personal
OK. I haven't done a guest network as I have a friend who's done software development for years and now works in security. He's told me that guest networking can open more security holes than just having the devices I use on the main network. So I split my SSIDs between bands.

As I reported earlier I did an upgrade from the test version (RT-AX86U_3.0.0.4_388_22484-gdea54d4-test). Yes, guess you could call that a dirty upgrade.

If upgrading from the 386 firmware you should be OK but be prepared to hard reset and manually reconfigure.
Are you tracking or looking for memory leaks.?
I thought I read that this hardware was known to have memory leak issues. I dealt with that in the Cisco---- Scientific Atlanta world years back.

Are you tracking or looking for memory leaks.?
I thought I read that this hardware was known to have memory leak issues. I dealt with that in the Cisco---- Scientific Atlanta world years back.

It's not the hardware it's the software. I am still seeing Ram climb by 3% a day so nothing has changed there. Time will tell if it peaks out and crashes.

It's not the hardware it's the software. I am still seeing Ram climb by 3% a day so nothing has changed there. Time will tell if it peaks out and crashes.
But a reboot clears it correct.
Are you in a reboot schedule..

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!