What's new

Asus rt-ax86u pro 160Mhz

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

freddyjuarez

Regular Contributor
I figured that I get amazing speeds using the 5ghz and only having 160 mhz on no 20, 40, 80 but it's not perfect because I can't unchecked dfs channels when I have only 160 mhz on

I have auto channel on my speeds are awesome when the router doesn't choose a dfs channel

Is it mandatory for it to have on dfs channels when using only 160 mhz or can this be changed in a future update to let us pick 160 mhz and not have check mark on dfs channel box

Unfortunately, the 5GHz band our routers can use, also have other regulatory uses - such as weather radar at airports - that take president. For our routers to not interfere with those other regulatory uses we have DFS (Dynamic Frequency Selection) which steers our WiFi away from frequencies used for those other purposes. The problem is that there is not a 160MHz band free of DFS requirements, so if you want/need to use a 160MHz band you'll have to enable DFS.
You need to consider if you need 160MHz as most of your connecting devices won't use it, and since regulation sets maximum power out you may get a stronger signal just using 80MHz bandwidth.

Weather radar is so thin it's likely you're not in an affected area. I have run 124/160 for years without a single DFS intervention. Takes 10 minutes to first come up but solid after that.

Yup just me I guess, dunno if it's the seaport, airport, or monitoring station that kicks in here! Still, it's better than being on the outskirts of Rugby (military) Radio station while that was still in full use.

I figured that I get amazing speeds using the 5ghz and only having 160 mhz on no 20, 40, 80 but it's not perfect because I can't unchecked dfs channels when I have only 160 mhz on

I have auto channel on my speeds are awesome when the router doesn't choose a dfs channel

Is it mandatory for it to have on dfs channels when using only 160 mhz or can this be changed in a future update to let us pick 160 mhz and not have check mark on dfs channel box

Generally speaking since I don't know radio regulations worldwide, a 160MHz bandwidth client connection requires using DFS frequencies. And that connection will likely have less effective range... I get a stronger 5.0 wireless backhaul between very capable router and AiMesh node (location fixed by me) using 80MHz (more powerful signal) vs. 160MHz (less powerful signal due to using DFS frequencies and/or a 160MHz wide channel broadcast which is also more exposed to potential interference/sharing of the frequency spectrum), plus I have only one AX client besides the AiMesh node... so I don't bother enabling 160MHz (avoids the router radio startup delay while DFS is being performed).

When you set 20/40/80/160MHz max bandwidth on the router, you are permitting the router to dynamically vary/reduce its max permissible bandwidth for client connections to avoid significant interference/spectrum crowding that is impacting connection performance (for example, DFS can force the router to vacate DFS frequencies by reducing its max permissible bandwith to 80MHz... 20/40/80MHz). Clients connect at their max bandwidth, subject to the router's current max bandwidth permission, as set or as reduced by the router to avoid interference.

When you set 160MHz only, DFS may still force the router (by law) to reduce its max permissible bandwidth to 80MHz to avoid DFS interference. Clients connect at their max bandwidth, subject to the router's current max bandwidth permission.

When you set 20, 40, OR 80MHz only, you are fixing the router's max permissible bandwith. The router will not vary its max permissble bandwidth to avoid interference on non-DFS frequencies. Clients connect at their max bandwidth, subject to the router's current max bandwidth permission.

Similarly, setting Auto control channel permits the router to dynamically vary the frequencies used to avoid interference. Setting a fixed control channel does not (except for DFS, but generally speaking, you should set/use a non-DFS control channel to remain campatible with clients that do not support using DFS frequencies).

The default router settings of 20/40/80/160MHz and Auto control channel allow the router to dynamically vary both to the max. Once you understand your radio space, you might prefer fixing both to avoid unnecessary and spurious changes by the router for less frequent/more singular interference. For example, set 20/40/80 or 80MHz max bandwidth to avoid DFS issues... set a fixed control channel to avoid playing musical chairs with your neighbors (their routers are likely set to Auto control channel... let their routers move their channel usage away from yours).

OE

Last edited:
Generally speaking since I don't know radio regulations worldwide, a 160MHz bandwidth client connection requires using DFS frequencies. And that connection will likely have less effective range... I get a stronger 5.0 wireless backhaul between very capable router and AiMesh node (location fixed by me) using 80MHz (more powerful signal) vs. 160MHz (less powerful signal due to using DFS frequncies and/or a 160MHz wide channel broadcast), plus I have only one AX client besides the AiMesh node... so I don't bother enabling 160MHz (avoids the router radio startup delay while DFS is being performed).

When you set 20/40/80/160MHz router max bandwidth on the router, you are permitting the router to dynamically vary/reduce its max permissible bandwidth for client connections to avoid significant interference/spectrum crowding that is impacting connection performance (for example, DFS can force the router to vacate DFS frequencies by reducing its max permissible bandwith to 80MHz... 20/40/80MHz). Clients will connect at their max bandwidth, subject to the router's current max bandwidth permission, as set or as reduced by the router to avoid interference.

When you set 160MHz only, DFS may still force the router (by law) to reduce its max permissible bandwidth to 80MHz to avoid DFS interference. Clients will connect at their max bandwidth, subject to the router's current max bandwidth permission.

When you set 20, 40, OR 80MHz only, you are fixing the router's max permissible bandwith. The router will not vary its max permissble bandwidth to avoid interference on non-DFS frequencies. Clients will connect at their max bandwidth, subject to the router's current max bandwidth permission.

Similarly, setting Auto control channel permits the router to dynamically vary the frequencies used to avoid interference. Setting a fixed control channel does not.

The default router settings of 20/40/80/160MHz and Auto control channel allow the router to dynamically vary both to the max. Once you understand your radio space, you might prefer fixing both to avoid unnecessary and spurious changes by the router for less frequent/more singular interference. For example, set 20/40/80 or 80MHz max bandwidth to avoid DFS issues... set a fixed control channel to avoid playing musical chairs with your neighbors (their routers are likely set to Auto control channel... let their routers move their channel usage away from yours).

OE
I'm good I've tested speeds on 20/40/80 160mhz off, 20/40/80 160mhz on both 👎, I've tried many different varieties and only way like I've said that my speed tests have reached above 1100+ mbps is by only having 160 mhz on....

Oh I just checked my router settings and it automatically picked channel 60 which is a dfs channel, and I'm getting above 1100 mbps on speed test now I'm thinking that maybe my speeds results drop when the router picks a number in the 3 digits not so much because it's Dfs channel...

So you many be asking me why don't I just manually pick a channel that has gave me very good speed test results, well I've done that and after a while my speed test aren't even above 1000 mbps. So I must have only 160 mhz on and auto channel on and hope router picks a good channel... But I wish I could unchecked the box that says Auto select channel including DFS channels

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-08-31-08-17-02-32_45fc3c5bc27616318c91498dc0f3f6f7.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-08-31-08-17-02-32_45fc3c5bc27616318c91498dc0f3f6f7.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 19
The one thing you have to understand is the fact maximum speed comes in expense of reliability and range. I don't know how important is to have Gigabit speed test result on a mobile device, but this 160MHz only may hurt your entire network in a long run. Your router and your choice, of course.

The one thing you have to understand is the fact maximum speed comes in expense of reliability and range. I don't know how important is to have Gigabit speed test result on a mobile device, but this 160MHz only may hurt your entire network in a long run. Your router and your choice, of course.
It's fine but your right when I'm in my car which it's parked on street my speeds are bad lol but hey who cares I'm leaving anyways.... We live in a single home 1,875 sq ft long as we are inside our home speeds are good

Are you aware with 160MHz only setting your Wi-Fi will simply cut off on radar detection in DFS range? It may work today and stop working tomorrow. When it happens please don't start 10 new threads with questions what's wrong with your router. We are tired of speed test troubleshooting.

Oh I just checked my router settings and it automatically picked channel 60 which is a dfs channel,

A DFS control channel will not let older clients that do not recognize the DFS band... connect. Not recommended unless all of your clients support DFS frequencies... uncertain, if you intend to allow guest clients to connect.

So you many be asking me why don't I just manually pick a channel that has gave me very good speed test results, well I've done that and after a while my speed test aren't even above 1000 mbps. So I must have only 160 mhz on...

If DFS works in your radio space, you can leave the default 20/40/80/160MHz bandwidth... which is how they ship it... because it works if DFS works in your area.

But I wish I could unchecked the box that says Auto select channel including DFS channels

You can and should so that non-DFS clients can connect period using a non-DFS control channel. Of course, the non-DFS control channel band/frequencies will be more populated by other networks around you, so your all-important speed test may suffer while your network waits to share the non-DFS control channel and related frequencies with other networks.

As to your wish, accept that the firmware is flawed and does not support changing settings in every possible sequence. If you change the settings around a bit, you will discover that you can set 20/40/80/160 or just 160 and a fixed or Auto non-DFS control channel (exclude DFS channels). You just need to try/find/get to the desired settings in the sequence the firmware is coded to respond to... otherwise it takes you into a settings dead-end and false conclusion that you can't get there from here... I have found that you can on my models (I've seen the firmware do what you are referring to... like some websites, ASUSWRT and its derivations are broken in more ways than one... endlessly so).

OE

Last edited:
Are you aware with 160MHz only setting your Wi-Fi will simply cut off on radar detection in DFS range? It may work today and stop working tomorrow. When it happens please don't start 10 new threads with questions what's wrong with your router. We are tired of speed test troubleshooting.

I recall that fixing 160MHz max router bandwidth with a non-DFS control channel does not prevent the router from falling back to 80MHz max permissible bandwidth as necessary to vacate the DFS band... the network continues to work without using DFS.

Perhaps also using a fixed DFS control channel yields your result... if not able to use DFS frequencies and not able to vary the control channel, then the network stops working(?)... did not try this since I have to use a non-DFS control channel here for older clients.

OE

In any case automatic channel and/or channel bandwidth change will disconnect and reconnect the client devices. If time sensitive application is used it will be disrupted. Some devices may not reconnect for some time. If someone likes speed test numbers more than reliability - their personal choice.

A DFS control channel will not let older clients that do not recognize the DFS band... connect. Not recommended unless all of your clients support DFS frequencies... uncertain, if you intend to allow guest clients to connect.

If DFS works in your radio space, you can leave the default 20/40/80/160MHz bandwidth... which is how they ship it... because it works if DFS works in your area.

You can and should so that non-DFS clients can connect period using a non-DFS control channel. Of course, the non-DFS control channel band/frequencies will be more populated by other networks around you, so your all-important speed test may suffer while your network waits to share the non-DFS control channel and related frequencies with other networks.

As to your wish, accept that the firmware is flawed and does not support changing settings in every possible sequence. If you change the settings around a bit, you will discover that you can set 20/40/80/160 or just 160 and a fixed or Auto non-DFS control channel (exclude DFS channels). You just need to try/find/get to the desired settings in the sequence the firmware is coded to respond to... otherwise it takes you into a settings dead-end and false conclusion that you can't get there from here... I have found that you can on my models (I've seen the firmware do what you are referring to... like some websites, ASUSWRT and its derivations are broken in more ways than one... endlessly so).

OE
Based on the best setting on 5ghz with only 160 mhz on I cannot I cannot unchecked the box Auto select channel including DFS channels

My devices are fine they are able to connect 9 devices on 5ghz and 15 on 2.4 ghz

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-08-31-10-05-51-03_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-08-31-10-05-51-03_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 18
In any case automatic channel and/or channel bandwidth change will disconnect and reconnect the client devices. If time sensitive application is used it will be disrupted. Some devices may not reconnect for some time. If someone likes speed test numbers more than reliability - their personal choice.

Agreed... avoiding avoidable client disruption, especially time-sensitive streaming clients, is a primary reason I prefer fixing these settings vs. letting the router vary them at the expense of disrupting active client connections.

OE

You were getting nothing more than just a speed test number. Your phone has nothing to do with this speed and it doesn't matter in real life use. What you've got is frustration and less reliable network dependent on external factors with low predictability. As I said above - your choice.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!