What's new

Asus RT-AX86U Pro no 2.4Ghz WiFi with USB 3.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mr_planet

New Around Here
Hi there,

After installing some AddOns on Merlin, I noticed that my IoT devices were no longer connecting. Since they were connected on the Guest Network, I had found forum posts saying that the one with Index 1 was giving problems, so created the same on Index 2.

After more attempts, I realized that the regular 2.4Ghz Wifi network was also missing, so I found this other post: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...rking-anymore-was-working-before.86879/page-2

In fact, I have an 8 GB USB 3.0 flash drive plugged into the dedicated port. I then changed the protocol to 2.0 under Administration-> System -> USB Setting, and the network is actually back. The flash drive is a Kingston, I am wondering if there are other flash drives with a better casing/hardware not causing the issue.

I wonder: could there be future problems with all the scripts I want to maintain? The SWAP is 2 GB, scripts installed: Diversion, RTRMON, scMerlin, uiDivStats

To be installed: Skynet, scribe, UiScribe, MerlinAU (for the moment).

No issues with 2.4Ghz WiFi when experimenting with several different USB devices (USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 flash drives, USB 3.0 2.5 inch Orico genric enclosures with SSD drive and one with a 2.5 inch HDD) here on a RT-AX86U Pro running 3004.388.8_2 firmware both with and without YazFi addon script installed. I currently have Guest Network #2 (both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz) enabled for my IoT devices.
What Asus-Merlin firmware are you running?
What does the system log show around the time the WiFi starts having issues?
Use the forum search feature and search for USB flash drive, or search for USB enclosure, lots of discussion on various flash drives and enclosures. Most will recommend using a SSD drive in a USB enclosure over a USB flash drive. Many past discussions on various USB enclosures that people are using.

Some usb3 devices, especially those improperly shielded can completely jam and block 2.4ghz radio.

Thanks both for your replies.
Regarding the firmware, I am using the latest: 3004.388.8_2

System log doesn't show anything relevant, but the 2.4Ghz signal is stable since I changed the USB protocol to 2.0. For the moment I will keep it like this.

Two questions then:
- Is USB 2.0 Protocol fine to keep the SWAP of 2 GB, use Skynet and other scripts?
- What would be the best way to replace the USB Stick with another? Maybe with BACKUPMON?

It's very possible that when data is being transmitted over USB 3.0, you can have interference with anything on the 2.4 GHz band, but this should only happen during data transmission, otherwise it's something else that's gone wrong.
Also note, that if you're using a cable, try swapping for one with better insulation, as that would reduce/remove any potential interference, but it sounds like you're using a flash drive, so it might to be applicable.

When I worked four a router manufacturer, we ran into this issue, where some cheap cables would prevent the ZigBee chip we had in the router for HA, would be unable to communicate with any and all connected ZigBee devices, but it would also affect the 2.4 GHz WiFi radio. The worst cable was in fact supplied with a WD external hdd...

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!